PDA

View Full Version : OT: So, what else do you guys collect?

the 'stache
02-27-2016, 09:29 AM
We're all baseball card lunatics (or, lunatics in training). We spend countless hours each week discussing players from a long ago era, on pieces of really old cardboard. And, when we're not posting, more than likely, we're all thinking about baseball cards. At least, for a little while.

What, if anything, do you guys also collect besides baseball cards, other baseball collectibles and ephemera?

I've always loved movies, and more and more I found myself losing interest in the movies coming out of Hollywood recently. While there are still some really good or great films that catch my eye, the vast majority of what gets released to the theaters today is utter crap, in my opinion. It's highly derivative trash. It seems that Hollywood, in general, has run out of ideas. Everything is getting a remake now. Everything. And if it's not a remake, it's yet another sequel of a first film that wasn't really any good. If I offend anybody here, I apologize, but how many Transformers movies, or Fast & Furious movies, do we need?

So, about a year ago, I decided to explore the history of cinema. I've loved the Golden Age of Hollywood since I was young, but there were so many classics I'd never seen. I set out to remedy that. It's also a big world out there, and I'd never even scratched the surface of foreign films, either recent, or from long ago. So, I started reading. I explored the directors I loved, and found out who influenced them. Then, it all kind of snowballed. Ten months ago, I had about 75 movies on Blu-ray. Now, I'm closing fast on 600. Film appreciation has become a second passion, on par with my love of baseball and baseball cards. And to be honest, I really don't miss today's Hollywood. I'll still check out films that interest me once in a while, or have critical acclaim. And, whenever a new Star Wars film comes out, I'm there because of the memories they bring back of childhood. But those are the exceptions.

So, now, I spend much of my free time watching films from Alfred Hitchcock, François Truffaut, Federico Fellini, Krzysztof Kieślowski, Akira Kurosawa or, probably my favorite director at the moment, Ingmar Bergman. I've grown to love the silent film era, so I am always adding Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd or Buster Keaton to my collection, as well as movies F.W. Murnau and Carl Theodor Dreyer. If you perused my collection, you'd see Jean-Luc Godard, Orson Welles, Yasujiro Ozu, Edward Yang, Sir Carol Reed, and a lot of the biggest names from the past 50 years; Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Roman Polanski, the Coen Brothers, and Steven Spielberg.

I love watching great directors and actors create magic together. There was something special about Elia Kazan and Marlon Brando working together. Billy Wilder's oeuvre was filled with great performances by Jack Lemmon and Fred MacMurray, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Stanwyck, Gloria Swanson, Tony Curtis, and, of course, Marilyn Monroe. It didn't matter if Wilder was doing a comedy, a drama, or noir. He worked well with Bogie in a romance. But then again, Bogie was great with everybody. Bogie and Bacall had incredible chemistry. Bogie and Ingrid Bergman had great chemistry. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Gene Kelly singing in the rain, or dancing with a mouse. The stars back then were greater, the movies better. Elizabeth Taylor's eyes, Betty Grable's gams. If Esther Williams was near a pool, some magic was about to happen. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" Is there an actor today that could truly pull that off? Any actor with Clark Gable's gravitas? Who could toss off a line like, "fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night" as convincingly as Bette Davis in All About Eve? There is no Cary Grant today, no Audrey Hepburn. No James Cagney or Jean Harlow. Nobody brings the heat on screen like Rita Hayworth or Veronica Lake. There's no Kate Hepburn, or Grace Kelly, no Kirk Douglas. And nobody is nearly as cool as James Dean, or Steve McQueen. They don't make films like The Big Sleep, Touch of Evil, Double Indemnity or Laura. There's no Sunset Boulevard, or Citizen Kane, no Casablanca or The Graduate. The vast majority of today's "epics" are CGI-laden crap. What happened to true epics, with their seemingly infinite scope. I'm talking about Spartacus, and The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra and Quo Vadis.

No, if you want to see truly great new films, those new films are those old films you've not yet discovered. Give me A Streetcar Named Desire, or West Side Story, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Patton on The Seven Year Itch. Bonnie and Clyde, Rear Window, The Third Man or Dr. Strangelove. White Heat, Lawrence of Arabia, High Noon or The Grapes of Wrath. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Rebel Without a Cause, North By Northwest, or Chinatown. La Dolce Vita, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal or Au Revoir Les Enfants. 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, or Solaris. The Grand Hotel, Clark Gable's Mutiny on the Bounty, Fay Wray's King Kong, Errol Flynn's The Adventures of Robin Hood. Give me Fritz Lang's Metropolis, M, or The Big Heat. Or, give me Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, Notorious, Vertigo or Rebecca.

I am building a Blu-ray collection that I will have for the rest of my life. Countless hours of entertainment at my fingertips. Whatever strikes my fancy at any given moment, I'll have it. And while I'm watching, I'm reading books written by the great film critics, and learning about how films are shot in documentaries done by men like Martin Scorsese and Ingmar Bergman.

That's my other collection. What's yours? :p

Bliggity
02-27-2016, 10:44 AM
My first love:

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/Guitars_zps6c7f6763.jpg

Not pictured (new acquisitions): 1966 Fender Mustang, 1963 Ampeg Superreverb.

coolshemp
02-27-2016, 11:29 AM
Have you thought about collecting classic era Hollywood trading cards? I am focusing on the classic comedians my self...they are fun and affordable!

drcy
02-27-2016, 11:50 AM
As a photography guy, I've long been primarilly interested in original fashion photographs, ala original Vogue photos and by famous photographers. I even once wrote a small, long out-of-print guide to the genre with a retired Vogue photographer. Unlike in other areas, I'm very picky about what I would buy.

Below is my mini-page on the genre
about fashion photographs (http://www.cycleback.com/fashionphotos/)

As an old film fan, I've also been recently interested in original film photos. RMY Auctions always has a lot of good movie photos, which is in part where my interest was piqued.

Bestdj777
02-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Apart from baseball cards, I only have two real collecting interests--game used Yankees hats and vintage watches. Ideally, I'd like to one day have one Rolex from every decade they were made. That's a little far off as I'm very selective and far from wealthy, but I do have the 30s and 80s covered.

rjackson44
02-27-2016, 12:02 PM
vintage toys and antiques love them ,,,,

midmo
02-27-2016, 12:24 PM
Music is my #1 as well. I wouldn't consider myself a collector though, all my instruments are players and not necessarily collectible.

I collect stuff like vintage cameras, film props and production art, but I'm not diligent about it. I just occasionally grab things I like if the price is right.

midwaylandscaping
02-27-2016, 12:32 PM
Captain America and Golden and Silver Age Tarzan comics :D

Peter_Spaeth
02-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Insults.

shernan30
02-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Nothing outside the sports world for me at the moment. I have dabbled in ancient and medieval coins recently, but nothing I've held a passion to like my base ball cards and photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rookiemonster
02-27-2016, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't call myself a collector in the other stuff. But I began to hoard junk silver about a year ago . I also keep every wheat penny or bicentennial I come across .

I have some comic books from all different eras .

I have a ton of hats lol ,I refuse to throw out . But I think I will get around to it .

iowadoc77
02-27-2016, 12:56 PM
I seem to be collecting bicycles. It started in 2007 with my first road bike, a trek 1500. It now resides on the bike trainer in my basement and I have a love /hate relationship with it. Then a Specialized triathlon carbon bike, which has lead to 25+ triathlons and then a Specialized Carbon road bike, an Orbea mountain bike, and then my wife said one in one out so sold the Tri bike last year and got a Trek fat tire bike. Most fun I have ever had biking. Then last week I upgraded to a Specialized Carbon Fatboy. Nothing like being on a bike. Yes, I have a problem. No, I am not interested in seeking treatment for my problem.
And I dabble in cardboard.

bmattioli
02-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Action figures from the 70's Mego and GI Joe.. I do alot of Metal detecting so I am a coin collector as well..

glchen
02-27-2016, 02:14 PM
I've spent some time collecting classic US postage stamps. The stamp hobby is fairly depressed these days, so I've found you can buy nice looking stamps pretty cheaply. (On the other hand, even if you buy them for a song, you'll still lose money if you ever try to sell in the future.)

begsu1013
02-27-2016, 02:25 PM
did have quite a car collection for a while...still have a few toys but ranged from anything from a 68 camaro ss to a 71 c 10 long bed and everything in between.

here's my fav right now though. 63 galaxie press junket car:

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/10514308/andy3.jpg
http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/10514308/andy2.jpg
http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/10514308/andy1.jpg

also collect vintage golf balls from 1800s and full dozen boxes:

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/10516678/IMG_0708.jpg

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/10516678/IMG_0709.jpg

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/10516678/IMG_0710.jpg

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/10516678/IMG_0711.jpg

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/10516678/IMG_0712.jpg

wolfdogg
02-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Vinyl......vinyl......and vinyl

DHogan
02-27-2016, 04:11 PM
I collect HO scale military tanks. My wife let me collect the real thing. ;)

pokerplyr80
02-27-2016, 04:20 PM
Just cards here. I collected a few coins as a kid, and might get back into it some day. For now there are still too many cards I want to add to worry about collecting anything else.

jonvancouver
02-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Vintage movie posters are my first choice always. Highlights include Forbidden Planet, 50 FT woman and a few nice Hitchcocks. Nothing linen backed.
Just got a 6-sheet of the original 12 Angry Men. Practically impossible to get framed though. I'll try and post picks.

bcbgcbrcb
02-27-2016, 06:27 PM
I had been picking up ice cream memorabilia for the past three years or so. I have kind of stopped over the past couple of months as there does not seem to be any resale market for it when the time comes to liquidate a few things due to space limitations and/or new additions. I do it for the enjoyment and display ability, not at all for profit, but it would be nice to get some of your money back on things when you need to move them every so often.

Over the past few months, I have shifted my focus to key comic issues from the Silver and Bronze Ages and have just started dabbling in Golden Age books this month. Everything is lower-grade stuff but must meet the condition standards that I can live with. Thus far, my most expensive purchase has been around $40 but I am contemplating more serious purchases in the near future. I would have to sacrifice my baseball item purchases if I do that, however, so not sure yet.

Jantz
02-27-2016, 06:59 PM
I collect flint

My father took me out when I was a boy and we would walk the farmer's plowed fields in the Spring to look for arrowheads. I must have found some enjoyment in it. I've been walking fields staring at dirt for over 40+ years now. That almost sounds depressing. :o

You never really know what you will find, sometimes the arrowheads are more modern. By that I mean, maybe 2000 years old and some are even older, possibly up to 12000 years old. Along with arrowheads, we've picked up stone tools, musket balls and once I found the striking flint out of a flintlock rifle. Some people may think its just picking up stones, but I always get a rush when I find something and realize that the last human being to touch this flint arrowhead or stone tool was 2000+ years ago.

Unfortunately it is a slow dying hobby. Modern farming machinery break up the flint and stone tools to pieces. Along with new growing techniques in farming, now farmers can plant their crops without plowing.

Below is a photo of two smaller arrowheads that I've found. You'll have to forgive my bad photo. Arrowheads don't fit well in my scanner

Jantz

quitcrab
02-27-2016, 09:18 PM
Records and Fillmore era rock posters !!

begsu1013
02-27-2016, 09:25 PM
Records and Fillmore era rock posters !!

east or west?

VoodooChild
02-27-2016, 09:26 PM
That Golf Ball Collection is mad cool!

I can't afford to collect anything other than sports cards. My wife collects old Somerset Maugham books though.

cool-vintage
02-27-2016, 09:49 PM
The majority card collection is hockey cards, but I also collect antiques, CD's/records, and I have a fairly small collection of baseball and hockey jerseys. (8 hockey jerseys and 4 baseball jerseys)

slidekellyslide
02-27-2016, 10:11 PM
I started collecting postcards when it started becoming very hard to locate new items for my Nebraska Indians and Lincoln minor league collections. I concentrate on Disneyland and Lincoln, NE postcards. In about 5 years I've attained nearly 1000 Disneyland cards and well over 20,000 Lincoln cards with about 5,000 different ones. There are quite a few Disneyland postcards that are rare and valuable and it's rewarding to find these. I found two moderately difficult Disneylands today for a buck apiece at the flea market. And I continue to keep adding Lincoln postcards that I've never seen before which keeps it fun.

Steve D
02-27-2016, 10:51 PM
19th Century U.S., ancient Greek/Roman, and Scottish/English (pre-U.K.) coins, pre-1920 U.S postage stamps, and astronaut autographs.

Steve

the 'stache
02-27-2016, 11:42 PM
My first love:

Dan, you've got some beautiful guitars! I only have two myself, an Ibanez S series electric, and a Yamaha classical. I chopped off the tip of my left middle finger about 10 years ago, and while it was fixed and appears normal, I'm missing the fatty tissue in the finger tip. It can make some some of those deep bends difficult on electric strings. But, I've been playing pretty consistently again for about the last three months, and it's calloused over again.

I'm a Strat guy, myself. I've never been able to play a Gibson. Love em, but there's something about the body style that just feels awkward to me. I love a fast neck.

Have you thought about collecting classic era Hollywood trading cards? I am focusing on the classic comedians my self...they are fun and affordable!

I have, actually. I'd love to find some cards with certified autographs. I'm going to start collecting again here pretty soon, so that's something I'll look at on the side.

I'd love cards of Bogie and Bergman. I'm a huge Casablanca fan.

Laxcat
02-27-2016, 11:47 PM
S.T. Duponts(I still smoke), vintage Omegas(that I can afford), & University of Texas yearbooks. I only need 4(books) for my run up to 1980.

the 'stache
02-27-2016, 11:55 PM
Gary,

Those stamps are beautiful. I have to believe one day the hobby will recover. It's too cool not to.

Bob,

Wow! You have to have a very understanding wife. I agree, though. The golf ball collection is impossibly cool. It's never even occurred to me to collect them.

When I get my new shelf system built and installed, I'll take some pictures of my movie collection. My Criterion collection, alone, is growing at an alarming rate. I'm adding from Twilight Time, the Warner Archive Collection, Fox Classics, etc. I've also been importing a lot of films from England, Eureka Entertainment's Masters of Cinema collection.

Ulidia
02-28-2016, 01:10 AM
Outside of sport, I collect original, vintage editions of the Babar the Elephant books. I love the illustrations and they make nice display items.

I've also a modest collection of Irish maritime art.

TheNightmanCometh
02-28-2016, 01:11 AM
Outside of cards I have two other collections. I collect copies of George Orwell's Animal Farm and I collect Captain America comic books.

curch
02-28-2016, 05:07 AM
I am a huge vintage toy collector. Mainly 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. Starting Lineup is one of my biggest passions. So big that NFL Films contacted me about them and included me into an episode of NFL Films Presemts. I have posted it before, but if you never saw it, here is a 5 minute clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Os4e_u3yBvU

bbcard1
02-28-2016, 06:07 AM
Other than cards, I do pick up a lot of Marshall University stuff and I also pick up a few silver rounds from various countries, but cards are 99% of it.

shernan30
02-28-2016, 06:35 AM
I have to second the golf ball collection being awesome.

pharoh690
02-28-2016, 07:02 AM
I happen to live 30 minutes away from one of the best ice age fossil deposits in the Uninted States.so I dig up those and megalodon sharks teeth

RichardSimon
02-28-2016, 07:55 AM
My major focus in collecting in and out of baseball is autographs.
I collect Presidents that I admired (still need GW and Adams, have Jefferson, multiple JFK, Founding Fathers that became Pres., FDR, TR), entertainment stars that I enjoyed seeing like Van Morrison, Janis Joplin, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, George Carlin, Andy Kaufman, Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, cast of Dr Strangelove (Tracy Reed was a bitch to find), Hal Holbrook and famed people that I admire including Mark Twain, Clarence Darrow, RFK and Edward R. Murrow.
And totally away from autographs I have also recently started to collect betta fish and have five of them.

pitchernut
02-28-2016, 09:03 AM
I do love HO scale drag racing:rolleyes:

larrie804
02-28-2016, 11:50 AM
I collect stamps (Pre-1020), postal history (mostly Pre-1900); Lions Club pins (my wife and I are both members of Lions International) and post cards of the Adirondacks (grew up there although Virginia has been my home for 43 years).

Larrie Dean

jerrys
02-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Vintage windup toys such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LQ3Qx-ZuJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHJ3C572e5o

begsu1013
02-28-2016, 12:16 PM
Bob,

Wow! You have to have a very understanding wife. I agree, though. The golf ball collection is impossibly cool. It's never even occurred to me to collect them.

man, i do have the coolest wife ever and fully appreciate how lucky i am there....

and thanks on the golf ball nod.

unfortunately, i've lost 10x more in the woods and water than i have ever collected!!!

edit: i'd like to see some of those movie posters and is that a washburn j600 up there on the wall? top right corner...

ksabet
02-28-2016, 12:26 PM
delete

Joe_G.
02-28-2016, 02:24 PM
I know I've posted this before so excuse the repetition. I have always had an interest in coins; actually began collecting them before baseball cards with my dad. I've taken an interest in all the 1887 coins to complement Detroit's Championship and my favorite card sets.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments/134207.jpg

mybuddyinc
02-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Sadly, I have not owned a Bull Terrier in over ten years, maybe this spring !!!

Back when I was into them, I collected BT books, which there are many (I have almost 50, missing a few key ones). There were (and are) a lot of wealthy people in the breed, who either had publication connections or vanity pressed themselves:

Glyn was early breeder of Colored * BTs in the '40's. However he was a bit a a maverick and not on the "accepted" list of English breeders.

Montgomery was an American, 6'6", 350 pounds of himself.

"We" do have a Derrydale., which is cool, but at the lower end of DD collectors overall.

He's Jake, The Submarine Dog is really a kid's book, not much of a breed book. But it is considered important not only being written by Eisenhower's buddy, Hazlett, but illustrated by Paul Brown.

* Colored, may not be so politically correct, but it is the correct terminology. :rolleyes: ---- This is a very tough book, and probably my favorite.

Also had (have) an interest in Pit Bull books, mainly the pedigree one's. I would find it hard to believe that any other breed has so much interest and publication of pedigrees. This is one of many:

Fun stuff, Scott

brian1961
02-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Bill, I join you as an old movie buff. I love CASABLANCA as well. There's a string of Humphrey Bogart movies that really do it for me, beginning with THE MALTESE FALCON. In fact, just last weekend, Turner Classic Movies was putting on a very limited screening at selected theaters nationwide of the 75th anniversary of THE MALTESE FALCON. A theater in Mishawaka, Indiana was one of those chosen for the screening, and my family and I went to see this classic on "the big screen" last Sunday evening. What an immense thrill! With the strong connection to chapter 13 of my forthcoming book, it was all the more compelling.

As someone intoned, though I have mentioned this other consuming passion in the past, as if anyone would really recall or care anyway, I love fine 1/43rd scale models of cars that raced in the famous 24 Hours of Le Mans, in France. Ditto for some racing sports cars from the period of 1938 to 1973. The passion for both niches is lava hot, and began prior to collecting any baseball cards. I am extremely selective and picky. I have to be, if I still wish to pick up a vintage or modern card of a retired baseball or hockey player I particularly cherish!;)

Really, this is a very worthwhile topic, as it helps to expand our understanding of each other, and a glimpse into our own personal world of who we are individually, aside from our passion for the pasteboards portraying a sports hero!

Cheers! ----Brian Powell

jfkheat
02-28-2016, 06:03 PM
One of my other hobbies is muscle cars. I currently own a 1968 El Camino and a 1968 Beaumont SD396. The El Camino needs to be restored.
James

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/jfkheat/Beaumont%20Pics/IMG_0591.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/jfkheat/media/Beaumont%20Pics/IMG_0591.jpg.html)

Maddog
02-28-2016, 06:39 PM
When I was younger I collected stamps then coins.
As a joke, my then girlfriend, now wife, picked me up some comic books and that went on for quite a while, guess the joke was on her. When my kids were born i started buying my son action figures and bought some for me (after a while they were mostly for me ;)). Then my son got into cards and dragged me (willingly I admit) into that area. Once I started getting involved in Little League with him the autographs and sports memorabilia started. My family swears that I will eventually be on an episode of Hoarder's one day :D:D

bnorth
02-28-2016, 06:47 PM
Here is some of the oddball stuff I collect besides baseball related stuff. As far as cards I also collect Wanderlei Silva MMA cards.

cubman1941
02-28-2016, 07:00 PM
A&W Root beer mugs - I have around 50 with the neatest one being a 3 1/2" Raised A&W on mug. I researched and printed out the history of A&W Root Beer and this raised A&W could be from 1921. I also dabble in Mighty Mouse having started doing that when I found a Mighty Mouse hand puppet in Phoenix at a yard sale when I used to go to Cubs Spring Training games.

02-28-2016, 08:03 PM
I try to collect money, but I keep trading it for baseball cards!

steve B
02-28-2016, 10:36 PM
Wow, a few other stamp collectors. That's cool. for stamps I collect a few areas, mostly the Official stamps from 1873- 1884 focusing on plate varieties.

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=16703http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=16704

The one on the right is from plate 40, used on an experimental steam powered press. I found this one with the small bit of plate number showing in 2012. Got to write an article about it since nobody had shown one in print since 1932!
The left one is a foreign entry and only about 75 were sold from the special printing. More rare than the upside down airplane stamp :D but not worth anywhere near as much :(

I also collect way too much other stuff. Not all actively at the same time, but off and on depending on availability of stuff and my whims.

Bicycles - Mostly ones built for special purposes for professional or national teams between about 1983 and 1999. But I have a bunch of others ranging from the 1890's to fairly recent. (About 80 depending if you count ones I'm finished restoring/rebuilding only or all the project ones as well.

1920's motorpacing bike.
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=15693

1984 US national team bike built for the team time trial at the LA Olympics. The team finished third, and was a 4 man team. They built 12 bikes, so about a 1/3 chance it was actually raced there. Almost every part is special or modified rebuilding it took me about 5 years to research and make the parts. (And I do mean make the parts, not just take a sketch to a machine shop I had a welder weld the handlebars but the rest I did myself. )
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=3851

Hey, it's not another collection, they're sports collectibles!

And the usual coins, comics, postcards, old photos, ephemera, old bottles/insulators etc
And the less usual - early home computers, shortwave radio, antique machinery etc.

Plus a bunch of "stuff" that I just thought was cool.

Steve B
Plus the cate

Huysmans
02-29-2016, 04:57 AM
One of my other hobbies is muscle cars. I currently own a 1968 El Camino and a 1968 Beaumont SD396. The El Camino needs to be restored.
James

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/jfkheat/Beaumont%20Pics/IMG_0591.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/jfkheat/media/Beaumont%20Pics/IMG_0591.jpg.html)

A Canadian Beaumont in SC? Nice!
I had a maroon '69.
It was my first car, bought in 1989 I believe.
Thanks for sharing, it looks great.

Brent

frankbmd
02-29-2016, 06:16 AM
I used to collect gallbladders.

OldEnglishD
02-29-2016, 07:09 AM
Hockey cards. Pre 70's hockey cards.

I live in SE Michigan and have a hard time finding them.

I may need to move to Canada. But that's only 50 miles away.

/sigh

btcarfagno
02-29-2016, 07:38 AM
Vintage movie posters and autographs. I buy what I like, but tend to concentrate on the films of Cary Grant. Also have been buying one sheet posters from my favorite 70's and 80's films recently. Some are very much in demand and rather expensive.

My favorite recent 80's poster purchase is this original issue British one sheet poster. The graphics are by far the best of any poster made for the title.
http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/collectiblesgains/2016/indy_zpsjh2la0mm.jpg

This one combines my love for both movie posters and autographs. It's the only signed Charlie Chaplin movie poster that I am aware of in existence.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/collectiblesgains/collectiblesgains127/chaplin_zpsf5mpx9z7.jpg

And a one sheet from my favorite Cary Grant movie

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/collectiblesgains/2016/grant_zpsdz8cfazn.jpg

Tom C

thescooper
02-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Antique marbles (mostly hand made)
First editions biographies of military people
Christmas village

Eric72
02-29-2016, 11:06 AM
My first love:

What is the guitar along the top, between the SG and the Strat? I play music; however, am not a collector, per se. I just have a few nice players (Strat, Jazz bass, P-bass, acoustic guitar.)

clydepepper
02-29-2016, 11:21 AM
dust...

Beatles Guy
02-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Jars & bottles, coins, arrowheads, Civil War artifacts, LPs. Contrary to my name, I do not collect Beatles stuff, though I would like to have autographs of the lads one day.

jonvancouver
02-29-2016, 12:20 PM
Here are some of my posters. The most expensive ones are stored at a climate controlled facility. Can't take any chances! AND OF COURSE THEY ARE SIDEWAYS FOR FKS SAKES! I gotta fix that and straighten them out but that won't happen until later. Sorry.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2iaze2r.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/eupvuw.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/23lefc2.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2yljspv.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2vvu9h2.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/33tpmxk.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/25jwo3r.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2w4eb6x.jpg

Eggoman
02-29-2016, 12:54 PM
I ALSO collect Vintage Halloweenia!

ibuysportsephemera
02-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Sports memorabilia is my first and longest collectible interest. I also have a small collection of watches, some firefighting paper (I am a volunteer firefighter) and recently started getting into firearms (both long and handguns).

Jeff

Bliggity
02-29-2016, 07:27 PM
Dan, you've got some beautiful guitars! I only have two myself, an Ibanez S series electric, and a Yamaha classical. I chopped off the tip of my left middle finger about 10 years ago, and while it was fixed and appears normal, I'm missing the fatty tissue in the finger tip. It can make some some of those deep bends difficult on electric strings. But, I've been playing pretty consistently again for about the last three months, and it's calloused over again.

Thanks! Good to hear you can still play. Just remember, Tony Iommi got into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame with only 3 fingers! :D

is that a washburn j600 up there on the wall? top right corner...

Nope - it's a 1937 Gibson L-7. My pride and joy! I do have a Washburn around here somewhere but I couldn't find it when I took the picture!

What is the guitar along the top, between the SG and the Strat? I play music; however, am not a collector, per se. I just have a few nice players (Strat, Jazz bass, P-bass, acoustic guitar.)

Top row, L-R: 1992 '67 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom; 2005 Martin OM-35; 1972 Harmony Rebel; 1986 '57 Reissue Fender Strat; low-end Guild acoustic; 1937 Gibson L-7. On the bottom, L-R: 1912 Martin 000-Style Mandolin; 1930s Tenor Banjo; 2002 Martin DM; two beaters. Amps are a 1966 Fender Princeton and a 1964 Danelectro Centurion. I have a few other guitars around that aren't in the picture. I also just picked up a 1963 Ampeg Superreverb and I'm in the middle of restoring a 1966 Fender Mustang.

Oh yeah, and then there's this collection -

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/Mobile%20Uploads/20140705_175752_zpsx0pa4z15.jpg

And I also build my own guitars - here's a baritone telecaster I recently made for a friend of mine -

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/Mobile%20Uploads/20140702_232810_zpspuuopwr4.jpg

Great collections everyone - I love seeing the pictures!

begsu1013
02-29-2016, 07:56 PM
Oh yeah, and then there's this collection -

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/Mobile%20Uploads/20140705_175752_zpsx0pa4z15.jpg

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/Mobile%20Uploads/20140702_232810_zpspuuopwr4.jpg

sick stuff up there w/ the compressor pedals.

i always liked tele delux plus that had the strat hardware. lace her up w/ some d'addario strings, throw that thing through a soldano slo-100 w/ super lead overdrive heads blasted through a mesa boogie quarterback 2x12 cabinet and simply put, it's time to panic!

Bliggity
02-29-2016, 08:11 PM
i always liked tele delux plus that had the strat hardware. lace her up w/ some d'addario strings, throw that thing through a soldano slo-100 w/ super lead overdrive heads blasted through a mesa boogie quarterback 2x12 cabinet and simply put, it's time to panic!

Now you're talking my language. Time to melt some faces!

begsu1013
02-29-2016, 08:31 PM
yes, sir!

Tabe
03-01-2016, 12:04 AM
Sports jerseys for me - baseball, football, and hockey. I have about 60 total, 20 of which are game worn Spokane Indians jerseys. The rest are regular retail and throwback jerseys of players I like. Heavy emphasis on Detroit Red Wings.

Thecafewha
03-01-2016, 09:57 AM
I collect anything related to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1980's cartoon and toy line). I even started a 501(c)3 charity dedicated to preservation of the artwork and history of the brand. You can check it out at www.powerandhonor.org if interested.