PDA

View Full Version : Saco river auction

Mdmtx
02-24-2016, 04:55 PM
Maybe I'm just old, but I don't think the Saco river auction site is easy to use and understand at all. I would have bid more but the site seems to suck. The inability to actually see what the item was bid to cost them money, imo. Any other opinions? Did I not use it correctly?

mybuddyinc
02-24-2016, 05:49 PM
Could not agree more, don't know why I even try:

I "think" I bid ???
I "think" I was winning ???
I "think" I lost ???

I "know" I don't "know."

Now, the response will be "it's a live auction" and on line bidders are not their main focus. Which seems to be true "I think." :rolleyes:

Mdmtx
02-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Their loss I guess. I won't participate again.

Donscards
02-24-2016, 05:54 PM
I just got back from the Saco River Auction---your best bet for bidding is to call them and they will bid for you live---they have many phone banks---and extra people---you can also leave bids with them and they will bid for you accordingly---also the proxy bidding is best for early bid bidding---they look to the floor and the phone banks for the heavy bidding----I was happy to win the 1927 Yankees press pin against heavy phone bidding---Plus I won a few other goodies.

pclpads
02-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Their loss I guess. I won't participate again.

+1 Tried their site and gave up. Too many other AH with better, easier to use sites. +21% juice? Uh, no . . . :(

Mdmtx
02-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Congrats on the pickups don!

btcarfagno
02-24-2016, 06:53 PM
I just got back from the Saco River Auction---your best bet for bidding is to call them and they will bid for you live---they have many phone banks---and extra people---you can also leave bids with them and they will bid for you accordingly---also the proxy bidding is best for early bid bidding---they look to the floor and the phone banks for the heavy bidding----I was happy to win the 1927 Yankees press pin against heavy phone bidding---Plus I won a few other goodies.

I was in on the 27 press pin. You got it at a very solid price. I was hoping it would go for a song. While it didn't, it still went low. Beautiful pick up.

Tom C

Donscards
02-24-2016, 07:10 PM
I was in on the 27 press pin. You got it at a very solid price. I was hoping it would go for a song. While it didn't, it still went low. Beautiful pick up.

Tom C

Thanks Tom---I was going to go up to 3K before the juice---I am very pleased---The pin is beautiful---better condition than some that sold in the last few years and it is the real deal---I most likely will take it to the National.

Luke
02-24-2016, 07:17 PM
Yeah I have to agree. I've won a few lots in the past, but I always wake up to an invoice after placing bids two weeks earlier and forgetting about them. It's weird to place an online bid blind without seeing any of the other bids. I'll keep trying if they have cards I like, but it feels very uncomfortable.

Basically, I agree with Scott.

Mdmtx
02-24-2016, 07:20 PM
As a side note, I just bought a t207 McGraw on eBay from Luke and I am very happy with it!!

Stonepony
02-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Maybe I'm just old, but I don't think the Saco river auction site is easy to use and understand at all. I would have bid more but the site seems to suck. The inability to actually see what the item was bid to cost them money, imo. Any other opinions? Did I not use it correctly?

It's so cumbersome I've given up on their auctions completely

Sean
02-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Their site is a pain. I've bid live with them, and that does work better.

Thromdog
02-24-2016, 08:23 PM
I've bought several times from them and admit it took some getting used to but am now comfortable using them. I've had pretty good success at it too and have been happy with my purchases.

I typically leave my proxy bids the first days the items are posted on Live Auctioneer and then remind myself when the auction is. When it gets close to the date, I confirm my proxy bids and also check how many other proxy bids have been placed. Then I watch through the auction.

I usually use the LA phone app to watch the auction since they start at 4PM my time. As the auctions go, If I'm willing to bump the bid a notch, I do so and then see if it wins. If it doesn't, so be it.

I think people find it odd because it's a live auction, and of course different from eBay and all the other auction houses. It can promote impulse purchases, but it also means you don't wait until breakfast to see if you won a $50 card.

Advantages and disadvantages, agreed. But I've gotten pretty comfortable with the process.

Luke
02-24-2016, 09:10 PM
As a side note, I just bought a t207 McGraw on eBay from Luke and I am very happy with it!!

Thanks Mark, I'm glad you're happy with it :)

yanks12025
02-25-2016, 06:21 AM
Besides their bidding sucks, their customer service/auction listing sucks also. They had a lot listed as a circa 1910s red sox ball. I sent them two emails, one asking how they determined it to be a circa 1910s when the ball had 1936 wrote on it. They wrote back to me with a nasty reply about the ball and autographs date it to circa 1910.

Couple days later, I asked for more pictures. And after seeing more pictures of the ball. I told them it was 100% not circa 1910 and most likely a old timers ball from the 1930s.

Shoeless Moe
02-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Besides their bidding sucks, their customer service/auction listing sucks also. They had a lot listed as a circa 1910s red sox ball. I sent them two emails, one asking how they determined it to be a circa 1910s when the ball had 1936 wrote on it. They wrote back to me with a nasty reply about the ball and autographs date it to circa 1910.

Couple days later, I asked for more pictures. And after seeing more pictures of the ball. I told them it was 100% not circa 1910 and most likely a old timers ball from the 1930s.

That ball was on Ebay until 1 day b4 the auction. I don't like that kind of funny business.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cy-Young-and-Eddie-Collins-Autographed-Baseball-/141910928934?hash=item210a8cee26%3Ag%3ABhoAAOSw~OV Wy2dm&nma=true&si=vTKKKf74QjiqxKk4otn51tH5PCw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yah they really need a writer, and like Hunt's the 1 image only blows. Amazing how that can be your business and you would increase your profits by doing a better job yet don't. Baffling. Speaking of Hunts, and while I will give them credit in the customer service area, 2 programs they had in last nights auction had wrong teams in the descriptions. But I guess if these places keep making errors it increases the chances of finding gems in the rough.

4scuda
02-26-2016, 02:06 PM
I didn't look at the ball, but I thought the fact that they had ticket stubs from 1910 lent credibility. I used proxibid and didn't have any issues bidding.