PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness gone too far:

clydepepper
02-24-2016, 07:32 AM
Recently, I posted details of two NBA centers who cannot shot foul shots - now ESPN.com no longer shows FTA,M in game box scores.

Earlier this year, I was on BaseballReference.com studying various years' ROY candidates only to find their (hitter) strikeout totals are no longer shown.

I sent a message to BBR explaining that omitting strikeouts from the 'offense' picture of such candidates, does not show the full picture of their offensive value and thereby makes it difficult to accurately compare between candidates. No response.

This is on the heels of more recent baseball cards that, while including WAR, do not include hitters' strikeouts.

Previously, runs scored and hits given up have been omitted from cards. I realize there is limited space on the back of card and I for one am squinting a little more these days, but more information is preferred.

My larger thought behind all this is that last year's Royals underlined the importance of putting the ball in play, while several other teams, perhaps most notably the 2014 Atlanta Braves have gone the other way.

No doubt Kris Bryant deserved the NLROY, but not showing his 199 strikeouts keeps us from seeing how far he can still improve.

That's 199 plate appearance where rallies were stopped in their tracks and runners were stranded.

I'm a big fan of Bryant, but let's look for the full picture...and ask for it if we have to.

frankbmd
02-24-2016, 09:02 AM
With 199 Ks, Kris Bryant was most certainly a "fan" favorite.:D

D. Bergin
02-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Maybe they are missing from the mobile versions of those websites, but they still show on the full desktop versions.