PDA

View Full Version : What would their value have been

yanks12025
02-21-2016, 11:56 AM
So I was thinking, what if certain players lived longer. What would their value be today compared to what they really are worth today.

So for example, lets say Lou Gehrig lived around 30 years and didnt die till he was almost 70. How do you think those extra 30 years would affect his value.

Or Babe Ruth lived still he was 70-80 years old? Would his auto only be in the $500-1000 range?

What about if Thurman Munson was still alive today. Would his autograph only be around $100?

Just some examples, I'm sure you guys can think of other players. Was just curious how much dying early affected their value.

Runscott
02-21-2016, 11:58 AM
I wonder what Munson's evolved 'glyph' would look like?

Christy Mathewson and Mel Ott come to mind. Certainly Mathewson autographs would have less value if he had lived longer.

egri
02-21-2016, 02:58 PM
I think the big drop off would be among the more common players eg Howie Fox, Hugh Casey, Tiny Bonham, etc. If they had lived into the 1980s, they would be $30 autographs, not in the hundreds.

Klrdds
02-21-2016, 03:06 PM
I certainly think it goes without saying that the longer a player lived the less his signature would be worth whether it would be Mathewson , Gehrig , Ruth, Josh Gibson maybe also even pioneers like Buck Ewing, and Ross Youngs .
Would it have affected Honus Wagner, Cy Young and Nap Lajoie ? I would say probably not or very little because of how old they were when they died.
Additionally one major factor affecting their value would have been if they had lived long enough to have been part of the baseball card show/convention circuit and the rising popularity of through the mail autograph requests.
It is not only how old you were when you died but also the era / years you died . These 2 factors affect the pricing of any autograph whether a HoFer, superstar or common ball player .

w7imel
02-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Not sure what kind of change it would have made. Ruth signed alot but his signature is still in demand. Ty Cobb lived a long life yet his autograph still commands a high price. Im not sure if its the amount of years you lived or the amount of time you have been dead that affects the price..Interesting thought though.

Runscott
02-21-2016, 05:56 PM
I certainly think it goes without saying that the longer a player lived the less his signature would be worth whether it would be Mathewson , Gehrig , Ruth, Josh Gibson maybe also even pioneers like Buck Ewing, and Ross Youngs ..

Yes, but you did anyway :)

Ross Youngs is a good one, as there's no telling what his playing performance would have been if he had lasted longer. Even if he had gotten a little better and died only 15 years after his career ended, I bet his autograph would have headed way south.

mrmopar
02-21-2016, 07:46 PM
Pretty much sums up my feelings to a T. I just posted a thread about a card that ended tonight on ebay that sold for a cool $3K+! Scarcity of the signature in general being a common and having a very short career, the early demise of that player, and a passionate pursuit of that elusive card between 2 buyers lead to what most would consider an insane price for such a new card.

I collect for fun, but resale value is always a thought in the back of my mind (since I am pumping money into my hobby), but I'd rather be able to enjoy the variety of autographs at a more affordable price now than have them worth a bundle later. I wish all players were as easy to obtain as a Bob Feller or Bobby Doerr.

I certainly think it goes without saying that the longer a player lived the less his signature would be worth whether it would be Mathewson , Gehrig , Ruth, Josh Gibson maybe also even pioneers like Buck Ewing, and Ross Youngs .
Would it have affected Honus Wagner, Cy Young and Nap Lajoie ? I would say probably not or very little because of how old they were when they died.
Additionally one major factor affecting their value would have been if they had lived long enough to have been part of the baseball card show/convention circuit and the rising popularity of through the mail autograph requests.
It is not only how old you were when you died but also the era / years you died . These 2 factors affect the pricing of any autograph whether a HoFer, superstar or common ball player .