PDA

View Full Version : Ruth ball price(am I missing something)

w7imel
02-17-2016, 04:40 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-OAL-SINGLE-BOLD-SIGNED-BASEBALL-PSA-DNA-LOA-BALL-AUTOGRAPH-AUTO-/182021365318?hash=item2a61519e46:g:kc8AAOSwqYBWotb M

The price of this ball has steadily climbed for the last 2 days to almost 10K with 4 days left. Am I the only one who thinks there are better Ruth autograph options out there that aren't "smudged"? I guess as a collector if I am going to spend this kind of money I feel there are way better Ruth signed items that aren't smudged than this especially for the price. Is having a SS Ruth ball that hard to come by? Anyone else have any thoughts on this item?

joed25
02-17-2016, 04:51 PM
The seller is most likely shilling it

Bpm0014
02-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Nice bold autograph. Would it be frowned upon to professionally clean up the smudge a bit?

Kco
02-18-2016, 08:42 AM
It's a very nice auto, and it's actually genuine which is also nice, unlike many "museum quality" autos that magically look like they were signed last week

w7imel
02-18-2016, 03:25 PM
I wasnt questioning authenticity at all. I just wandered if anyone else thought the price seemed a little high for a smudged autograph. Not sure I would spend that kind of money but if money no object who am I to question it ....I guess......

Kco
02-18-2016, 04:09 PM
I personally don't think I'd spend 10k on any autograph regardless of how nice it was. A Ruth ball would be phenomenal but for that same amount I could check a dozen hard to find autos of HOFers off my list, but that's where I sit on that or really any auto at that level personally.

w7imel
02-18-2016, 06:36 PM
I bought a Ruth check a few years ago that I was comfortable with. I was not comfortable authenticating a Ruth cut on my own.. I was once duped by a "big name" autograph and memorablillia seller. I bought A Ruth so called autograph only to find out it was ghost signed. I guess ever since I have been very sensitive to any autograph that doesnt have a "stone cold proof of authenticity". Since then the only item I feel the absolute need to put a priemiums are checks and first party authenticated signatures...JMO Mind you I was duped on the Ruth long before the internet became a common place to research exampliers....Im just saying I have been very cautious ever since.

gnaz01
02-18-2016, 09:43 PM
At $25,000 now.....

RichardSimon
02-19-2016, 07:45 AM
At $25,000 now.....

Greg,
Something fishy here perhaps?
:eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:

gnaz01
02-19-2016, 04:37 PM
Greg,
Something fishy here perhaps?
:eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:

Oh ABSOLUTELY, Rich :D

Runscott
02-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Look at the highest prices paid for 'single signed' 'dual signed' and 'team signed' baseballs: http://www.psacard.com/Resources/Guides/RecordBreakers

(I didn't post the link to argue legitimacy of these items, only to show prices)

Leon
02-21-2016, 08:48 AM
The seller is most likely shilling it

Bid history certainly could be a concern.

Runscott
02-21-2016, 10:12 AM
Bid history certainly could be a concern.

Agreed. Ebay Ruth balls just never get that kind of money.

Also, there is something funny about it, even though I know others here say it's good. Compare the ink and flow to David A's Ruth ball. It just doesn't look like a steel tip pen signature to me, and Ruth had few other choices. Maybe it's a charcoal pencil signature?

w7imel
02-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Agreed. Ebay Ruth balls just never get that kind of money.

Also, there is something funny about it, even though I know others here say it's good. Compare the ink and flow to David A's Ruth ball. It just doesn't look like a steel tip pen signature to me, and Ruth had few other choices. Maybe it's a charcoal pencil signature?

Scott I am glad you mentioned it....Like I have always said I am far from an expert and most of you have much more experience in this field than myself....Thant being said I thought the ink looked unlike any ink from that period should look compared to what I have seen from past exampliers...JMO

Runscott
02-21-2016, 05:52 PM
If my gut tells me something smells funny, I stay away. Generally when I'm ready to buy an autograph, I'm pretty much positive about the piece in question.

On the flip side, it's always interesting when someone else doesn't feel right about something, and I'm positive it is good - it's also hard to explain away someone else's gut feeling, even if you know it's just some slightly expired milk.

Shoeless Moe
03-01-2016, 06:44 PM
When the shill wins.......

relist

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-OAL-SINGLE-BOLD-SIGNED-BASEBALL-PSA-DNA-LOA-BALL-AUTOGRAPH-YANKEES-/182040350798?hash=item2a6273504e:g:kc8AAOSwqYBWotb M

w7imel
03-01-2016, 06:45 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-OAL-SINGLE-BOLD-SIGNED-BASEBALL-PSA-DNA-LOA-BALL-AUTOGRAPH-AUTO-/182021365318?hash=item2a61519e46:g:kc8AAOSwqYBWotb M

The price of this ball has steadily climbed for the last 2 days to almost 10K with 4 days left. Am I the only one who thinks there are better Ruth autograph options out there that aren't "smudged"? I guess as a collector if I am going to spend this kind of money I feel there are way better Ruth signed items that aren't smudged than this especially for the price. Is having a SS Ruth ball that hard to come by? Anyone else have any thoughts on this item?

Ok this is what I missed someone thinking they would flip the ball for 2x what they paid for it...This is whats wrong with the hobby is guys like this who are only in it for the money...not the love of the hobby...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-OAL-SINGLE-BOLD-SIGNED-BASEBALL-PSA-DNA-LOA-BALL-AUTOGRAPH-YANKEES-/182040350798?hash=item2a6273504e:g:kc8AAOSwqYBWotb M

Leon
03-02-2016, 07:14 AM
This should be a warning example for everyone in our hobby.

When the shill wins.......

relist