PDA

View Full Version : PSA/SGC Submittal times

Cozumeleno
02-15-2016, 09:07 AM
As someone that's never made a submittal to PSA, I'm wondering if their times in terms of getting cards back are any faster/slower than SGC.

I've only had three experiences with SGC (on the third now) - two have been beyond the advertised time with the third being a little early. I realize they are in the midst of a move and that the times are only estimates and not guaranteed so I'm not saying they are at fault or anything. But as I prepare a fourth submission, I'm wondering if others have had experiences in getting their cards any faster with PSA. I don't mind paying a little more if I won't have to wait like a month to get my cards back.

Republicaninmass
02-15-2016, 09:18 AM
My recent submission was not "received" by PSA until 10 business days after it was at their front door. This was for a "20 day" turnaround. If you pay for a higher service level, I'd like to think they would be done faster.

glynparson
02-15-2016, 09:21 AM
but SGC is much closer to the turn around times. The times are business days and the day received does not count, honestly shocked 2/3 of your SGC subs were late as that is very rare. PSA turnaround times are estimates and they do not start until they enter your sub which can take over a week or two after arrival at psa. Again i prefer PSA but if turn around times being quick is that important to you stick with SGC. If you go with PSA and choose a faster service than economy make sure you write the service level on the outside of your package as this will speed up the entering as received process.

sbfinley
02-15-2016, 09:34 AM
It is not unheard of for PSA specials to run 3-4 months. Personally, I've had PSA specials pop anywhere from one week to 4 months, higher tier services pop on time ~50% of the time, and was in a large Blue Flip sub that took six months. I'd estimate with SGC I've popped on time 75% of the time. Generally speaking, SGC is much faster. Some things I've learned:

1. Turnaround times are only estimates.
2. Send packages as close to the middle of the month as possible.
3. Write the service level on the outside of the box.

ullmandds
02-15-2016, 09:34 AM
faster from psa...that's a joke right?

Gradedcardman
02-15-2016, 01:37 PM
When submitting to PSA they say that if the submission is different than the standard club special for 50-60 day turnaround to mark it on the outside of the package. They will then make a priority to pull it and log it.

I have done this and had good success.

bobbyw8469
02-15-2016, 01:39 PM
faster from psa...that's a joke right?

+1. Still waiting to get logged in and they have had the package since Feb 1st.

ullmandds
02-15-2016, 02:00 PM
+1. Still waiting to get logged in and they have had the package since Feb 1st.

sorry to hear that...i guess if u want psa to print money for you...it takes longer?

Donscards
02-15-2016, 02:15 PM
PSA is the worst service----I mail my cards priority mail, I know they receive it in around 5 days--but they mark it received usuall 10-12 days after I mail it--they play games there---On their 50 day specials, it usually does take 50 working days--they don't count weekends---once in awhile, I will get lucky with a submission as far as return times---Usually not and they are so much stricter with their grades the last year or so, but want are you going to do.

sbfinley
02-15-2016, 04:11 PM
PSA is the worst service----I mail my cards priority mail, I know they receive it in around 5 days--but they mark it received usuall 10-12 days after I mail it--they play games there---On their 50 day specials, it usually does take 50 working days--they don't count weekends---once in awhile, I will get lucky with a submission as far as return times---Usually not and they are so much stricter with their grades the last year or so, but want are you going to do.

The reason the clock doesn't start when they receive the package is because it has not been logged in the system yet. As stated above, I've learned from experience that clearly labeling the outside with the service level expedites the process. Also, if your cards arrive at the beginning or end of the month expect delays as an influx of packages from submitters trying to make the end of the month deadline and trying get a jump on the new specials slows the process. Aim for the middle of the month. If not using a monthly special try to avoid months with major shows that PSA is attending. Finally, you can usually tell how back logged a TPG is by looking at their monthly specials. If they don't seem that great they're trying to stem the flow.

irv
02-15-2016, 04:13 PM

You can really notice that just by searching older cards on E-Bay and the like.

Even here, I have seen some cards graded way lower than others, and they are usually in the new Hologram holders.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I wish I had of sent my cards in years ago.

Marslife
02-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Hey!

on January 19, 2016 I sent two packages out for grading, 15 cards to SGC and 8 cards to PSA. Paid about the same for both $11/card with return shipping.

SGC - graded cards arrived at my house Saturday 2/13.
PSA - received and email they have received them on 1/27. No grades on the web site yet.

waiting patiently...

Mountaineer1999
02-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Maybe SGC has very little to grade? Send something to Beckett and see how long it takes.

xplainer
02-15-2016, 05:09 PM
Hey!

on January 19, 2016 I sent two packages out for grading, 15 cards to SGC and 8 cards to PSA. Paid about the same for both $11/card with return shipping.

SGC - graded cards arrived at my house Saturday 2/13.
PSA - received and email they have received them on 1/27. No grades on the web site yet.

waiting patiently...
Pretty much sums it up...from my dealings with both companies.

vintagebb2014
02-15-2016, 05:41 PM
PSA - Received submission on 02/05 and logged in 02/15. Advertised Monthly Grading Special.

SGC - Received submission on 02/10 and logged on 02/12. Advertised Monthly Grading Special.

I think that its safe to assume that its based on the volume for each company. I submit the cards and try my best to forget about them until I receive the email indicating that they have been shipped.

Cozumeleno
02-16-2016, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the insight - sounds like SGC is the better of the two in terms of response time. My packages haven't been terribly late with SGC, but yes, two of the three did go beyond the response time.

I will add the step of writing the level on the package from now on - hadn't thought to do that.