PDA

View Full Version : Size variations on bowman cards

loubrown
02-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Though this is regarding a FB issue I think it is an issue with Bowman cards in general so I am placing it here. (would be glad to re-locate it if more appropriate elsewhere).

I have a 1955 Bowman FB set. A few cards stood out as what appears to be trimmed. I sent in the stars to be graded before I noticed this and they all came back as good except one. I've taken what I believe is a good 55 Bowman card from my commons and used it to compare. I am finding cards that match for the most part but there are many that do not - both bigger and smaller. Is there slight variation in the original sizing that is considered acceptable?

mckinneyj
02-14-2016, 12:54 PM
This has actually been discussed in the forum previously but I'm not finding it when searching... you might just take a look at the section titled "Inconsistently sized cards" nearly halfway down on the page at http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/featured/as-seen-on-tv-a-review-of-1955-bowman . I don't know if a note to the TPGs when submitting suggesting that they consider this and not disqualify cards for size for this set unless there is evidence of trimming might help...

bnorth
02-14-2016, 01:04 PM
I have collected about 95% of the 1955 BB set and they do vary in size. On the 300+ cards I have they vary up to 1/16 of a inch. Any more than that and it is usually pretty easy to spot the trimmed side. This is my personal experience hope it helps.

loubrown
02-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. Very helpful.

judgebuck
02-14-2016, 07:20 PM
I bought a collection three or so years ago, and there were nearly 2,000 1955 Bowman baseball cards in top condition. Many were short in length, resulting in PSA sending back a number of them as failing to meet the minimum size requirement.

Hot Springs Bathers
02-15-2016, 06:25 AM
I asked this question a year or so ago and the consensus was that the 1955 Bowman baseball does have quite a bit of size variance. I have bought two large groups of 1955 Bowmans that came from closets that were certainly never trimmed and they varied.