PDA

View Full Version : Interesting New 1972 Hank Aaron IA Variation...

JollyElm
02-09-2016, 03:11 AM
I was gathering cards to update my 'Errors & Variations-a-palooza' thread when I glanced at my 1972 Ken Boswell IA card (with the red streak in front of him) and took a cue from the T206 guys (who are using plate scratches to back engineer the proposed sheet layouts of those cards) and decided to check out who was next to Ken on the Topps sheet. Well, it turned out to be none other than Hank Aaron IA. After looking at a ton of his cards, I found something extremely interesting. If you follow the streak on the Boswell card, you can see it 'continues' across Hammerin' Hank's thighs and into the Shea Stadium grass on a small number of his cards. It's a little lighter red/pink on his card, but there it is. Just train your eyes. Funny how I never noticed it before. Although the lines seem to connect almost perfectly, I'm unsure whether they are, in fact, related or if they are just two separate aberrations. Logically speaking, I think the latter is a more likely scenario, since the streaks only appear on the photographs themselves and NOT on any part of the borders. Aaron is the end card on the sheet, so there are no cards to his right and Steve Renko IA is to Boswell's left. After looking at a large number of his cards, I found no evidence of the red line continuing in that direction.

Pretty cool!!

Here's a closeup version of another Aaron card with the streak…

swarmee
02-09-2016, 04:37 AM
Looks like it's about the size of a hair.

Zach Wheat
02-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Your pics are compelling...it sure appears as if the streak extends into the Aaron card. I never noticed that before. Good catch Darren.

Z

savedfrommyspokes
02-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Hopefully Al R will see this, as last I knew, he was still looking for this variation.

The line on the Aaron has always appeared to me to be much lighter than the line on the Boswell card, plus as mentioned, the lines do not appear to cross any borders, so my guess is that they are unrelated.

In other cases where lines continue from one card to another, in most all of these cases, the edges of the cards are crossed by the line.

post 240
http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=187722&page=24

swarmee
02-09-2016, 04:51 PM
There are a few currently on COMC. The BGS 6 one has it, as well as one of Dean's VG cards. So it's definitely a recurring print defect. I'm thinking maybe a hair over the magenta printing plate? That's why the ink is pink?

JollyElm
02-09-2016, 06:14 PM
Yeah, whenever I post about a new variation I investigate it to make sure it's not a one time thing (I even showed 2 different ones in this post). That goes without saying.

savedfrommyspokes
02-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Yeah, whenever I post about a new variation I investigate it to make sure it's not a one time thing (I even showed 2 different ones in this post). That goes without saying.

Unfortunately, while this Aaron is an interesting variation, it is not a newly identified one. I picked my copy up of it a year ago, and it has appeared on Richard Dingman's variation list for the past year. Whenever I post about a "new" variation I usually take a quick look at his list (as he consistently updates his list as posters here discover new print variations) so I do not call out a previously identified variation as new.

Here is a link to his list: https://sites.google.com/site/richarddingmancards/

ALR-bishop
02-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Richard is a great resource, in the same league as Mr. Gilckeson. Also appreciate Darren's input. And Saved. A lot of good variant stuff has been set out in here

4reals
02-10-2016, 12:53 AM
Nice! I love referring to sheets to see if a print flaw carries over to the next card. It's like putting a puzzle together!

ALR-bishop
02-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Finally got one of the Aarons. I had a Boswell. Not sure how visible the line or scratch is in scan of the graded card. It also has some discoloration on his pant leg. Also noticed how different the brightness compared to my regular one

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/topps029_zps0xsl6lnf.jpg?t=1455473492