PDA

View Full Version : T3 Ty Cobb

Yoda
02-08-2016, 11:13 AM
I have been wondering if the Turkey Red Cobb comes with the advertising reverse? I believe I have only encountered the check list back.

pherbener
02-08-2016, 12:45 PM
They are rare, but they are around. My link isn't working but check Legendary Auctions, June 2005 lot 22.

T3s
02-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Hello,

I've been focused on collecting Turkey Reds for well over 20 years. Over the years I've heard rumors about a T3 Cobb with an ad back and have never seen one in person. After viewing the photo from the Legendary Auction link, I do remember seeing that one. My personal opinion has always been that the card did not exist authentically. The ad-back T3s only arrived with the start of the second series. In fact, later in the second series to be exact.

I think the ad-back card in the auction link was created by a collector and is not authentic. I'm far from an expert on grading and card doctoring but the corners on this card make me believe that the front and back were matched and placed together - originating from two different T3s. T3s were created like a "sandwich" with two very thin pieces of material (front and back printed) affixed to a relatively stiff cardboard-like center. It's not easy to skin these cards but I've seen it and actually own a T3 (A Close Play at Second) that is neatly in three pieces and seems to have come apart on its own somehow.

I don't believe the Cobb w/ad-back is an authentic card. I'm happy to be proven wrong, of course, but am confident that it won't be by the card in that auction.

As an aside and speaking of rarity, I am lucky enough to own a T3 Cobb with a "no-ad" back graded PSA-4. Very cool card and very hard to find.

Happy Collecting,
Craig

pherbener
02-15-2016, 08:00 PM
Hello,

I've been focused on collecting Turkey Reds for well over 20 years. Over the years I've heard rumors about a T3 Cobb with an ad back and have never seen one in person. After viewing the photo from the Legendary Auction link, I do remember seeing that one. My personal opinion has always been that the card did not exist authentically. The ad-back T3s only arrived with the start of the second series. In fact, later in the second series to be exact.

I think the ad-back card in the auction link was created by a collector and is not authentic. I'm far from an expert on grading and card doctoring but the corners on this card make me believe that the front and back were matched and placed together - originating from two different T3s. T3s were created like a "sandwich" with two very thin pieces of material (front and back printed) affixed to a relatively stiff cardboard-like center. It's not easy to skin these cards but I've seen it and actually own a T3 (A Close Play at Second) that is neatly in three pieces and seems to have come apart on its own somehow.

I don't believe the Cobb w/ad-back is an authentic card. I'm happy to be proven wrong, of course, but am confident that it won't be by the card in that auction.

As an aside and speaking of rarity, I am lucky enough to own a T3 Cobb with a "no-ad" back graded PSA-4. Very cool card and very hard to find.

Happy Collecting,
Craig

This and the fact that it was a Legendary auction should probably throw up some red flags.