PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Ranks the Super Bowls 1-49

pariah1107
02-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Rankings. They are so subjective. Never really agreed with those greatest guitarists of all-time lists either (BTW his name rhymes with Shimi Fendrix).

Here is ESPN's ranking of the Best to Worst Super Bowls. Super Bowl 3 at number 7? I think they fail to see the relevance of that game in particular. And 4 of the first 8 Super Bowls ranked 40th to 49th? Obviously some historical bias. But before Super Bowl Sunday a little debate would not hurt.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14660038/ranking-all-49-super-bowls

Vintagevault13
02-07-2016, 07:42 AM
I honestly think they did a pretty good job. Many of the early Super Bowls were one-sided with very little suspense. With the exception of the two Steelers/Cowboys Super Bowls in the '70's, the Super Bowl didn't produce many great games until the late '80's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot Springs Bathers
02-07-2016, 09:00 PM
The only thing ESPN cares about is NOW! They have no sense of history, each week on Sportscenter you will hear mention of "This is probably the best play of all-time" or "He is the greatest player of all-time."

My personal pet peeve related to pro football is when the Super Bowl rolls around and they start saying the Steelers have won the most championships followed by the Cowboys and the 49ers. I realize these people are not that old but the Packers and the Bears have more titles than anyone else and yes football was played before the 1966 season.

jefferyepayne
02-08-2016, 04:58 AM
The only thing ESPN cares about is NOW! They have no sense of history, each week on Sportscenter you will hear mention of "This is probably the best play of all-time" or "He is the greatest player of all-time."

My personal pet peeve related to pro football is when the Super Bowl rolls around and they start saying the Steelers have won the most championships followed by the Cowboys and the 49ers. I realize these people are not that old but the Packers and the Bears have more titles than anyone else and yes football was played before the 1966 season.

I hear you Mike. Part of the problem is that the NFL itself doesn't embrace its history before the 1958 Colts / Giants NFL Championship. If the NFL doesn't do it, I don't know why the networks would either.

2020 will be the NFL's 100th anniversary. I'm curious to see how much of their history they will emphasize for that. I fully expect the 100th anniversary team to be filled with "newbies" too.

jeff

Hot Springs Bathers
02-08-2016, 08:36 AM
I agree, the league spends every possible opportunity marketing its' current "self."

George Will's Sunday column was pretty hard hitting and I am sad to say that I was unaware of Kenny Stabler's struggles until his daughter released her statement.

Sad to hear that the man behind the great NFL Films' music Sam Spence passed away Saturday. I feel that his work was a big part of NFL Films' success. Of course the league never really seemed to appreciate NFL Films until they tried to take it over completely.

I have been catching pieces from all over the country the past few years on the current crop of college athletic directors and the empire building that is going on these days that seems to leave many of their past heroes behind. Unless they have become very successful and contribute heavily to the program they are being ignored. That is really sad, they gave all they had for their schools while this new breed of AD is just looking for dollars.

I had a friend nudge me at a game last year as he pointed out the flock of assistant/associate ADs working a room with cell phones in hand matching up photos and bios (probably bank accounts too) of people in the room before they went over to shake hands and back slap.

clamendo
02-10-2016, 08:53 PM
The Buffalo/Giants one still stings!!

jefferyepayne
02-11-2016, 05:52 AM
The Buffalo/Giants one still stings!!

I bet it does, Carl. Did you watch the "Four Falls of Buffalo" 30 for 30? Very well done but sad for those of us pulling for them.

jeff

clamendo
02-13-2016, 08:16 AM
I heard it was really good but haven't seen it yet.