PDA

View Full Version : T204 Square Frame Theory

RaidonCollects
02-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Hi fellow collectors,

Just wanted to share a quick theory about the T204 Square Frame "subset"

I know there are several T204 experts on the board who might know if this is true or not.

I was thinking... what if this isn't a sub-set at all, but just a different set all together?

Here's why I think this:

-All square frames are blank-backed, whilst 99% of Oval frames have Ramly and TTT advertising.

-I find it unlikely that the Square Frames were found in the same packages as Oval Frames, with a completely different design, I think they were distributed separately.

-The embossed back design is different to the Oval Frames.

-All square frame players had some association with the Boston area, my guess is that these cards are so rare because they had a limited release in the Boston area.

Please let me know what you think,

Feel free to share your T204 Square Frames!

~Owen:)

bcornell
02-04-2016, 04:07 PM
[REMOVED] This forum is done.

paul
02-04-2016, 05:12 PM
I had no idea that Burkett was one of the easier players to find. It just goes to show that value and scarcity do not always correlate.

bcornell
02-04-2016, 05:59 PM

shernan30
02-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Interesting theory about the square frames. I have a blank back and Ramly Bancroft. Just need a TTT and square frame of him to complete my type set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon
02-04-2016, 07:26 PM
NO wonder he (Bancroft) was my run of T204 varieties. The Square still brought some good scratch. (cards not mine anymore, thanks to whomever bought them too!!)

I'll bet I see Burkett ten times as often as Bender or Tinker or Evers. It's a desirable card, but as T204's go, it's everywhere. The other HOFers that appear often are Johnson, Huggins, Griffith and Chance.

It makes sense that some T204's are more commonly found than others, since there are 121 in the set and we know the sheets weren't 11x11. They had to have printed some players more than others. Anyone who regularly searches for T204's will wind up with a mild hatred of Frank Bancroft, since that brush-mustached non-player appears all the time.

Bill

bcornell
02-04-2016, 08:10 PM

Joshchisox08
02-05-2016, 04:12 AM
Always loved these cards. I hope to own a couple one day.

shernan30
02-05-2016, 05:02 AM
Leon,

Your T204 type collection is awesome and had me bidding aggressively. I now have the privilege of owning your Bancroft Ramley and blank back thanks to the actual winning bidder offering me those two. I hope to one day finish and present something very similar to what you have shared with the hobby. :cool::cool:

frankbmd
02-05-2016, 08:01 AM
I'll bet I see Burkett ten times as often as Bender or Tinker or Evers.
Bill

Yeah, Bender, Tinker and Evers were young punks. I don't know why they were even included in the set. And if anyone has an extra copy of "Gramps" in as good a condition as I am, let me know.;):D