PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Carter on T207s, 1956

trdcrdkid
02-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Last week I posted an article about T205s that Lionel Carter wrote for the June 1956 issue of The Sport Card Journal, the first article of such length about that set (that I know of). The Sport Card Journal was published by Charles Brooks, who had also launched The Sport Hobbyist a few months earlier; I said that I had no idea what happened to The Sport Card Journal, but I assumed that Brooks had probably merged it soon afterwards into The Sport Hobbyist, which went on to be published for more than 20 years. As it turns out, I hadn't looked closely enough through my boxes of hobby publications, because I have the August 1956 issue (vol. 1, no. 1) of The Sport Hobbyist and Journal, with an editorial by Brooks celebrating the merger of the two publications. By the following year, he had dropped the "Journal" part and it was just The Sport Hobbyist again.

In his June 1956 article on T205s, Carter promised an article on T206s in the next issue of The Sport Card Journal, which I unfortunately don't have. But in the August issue of the newly merged publication, Carter had an article on T207s -- like the T205 article, the first full article on that set that I'm aware of. He mentions the rarities (though he only lists Mike Mitchell, Loudermilk, and Paddy Livingston) and the numerous cards of catchers. He didn't know about the Red Cross backs, which were only discovered fairly recently, but for some reason he thinks the set was issued with Coupon backs -- maybe he means the "Anonymous" backs, which were apparently distributed in Louisiana?

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg98/dkathman1/IMG_20160203_0003.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg98/dkathman1/IMG_20160203_0004.jpg

cardsfan73
02-03-2016, 10:43 PM
I just wanted to thank you for sharing all these great old hobby periodicals. I love seeing how our hobby has evolved. Thanks again!

Scott

trdcrdkid
02-03-2016, 11:00 PM
I just wanted to thank you for sharing all these great old hobby periodicals. I love seeing how our hobby has evolved. Thanks again!

Scott

Thanks for the kind words, Scott. I have some more interesting stuff that I didn't have time to post tonight, but I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Luke
02-04-2016, 01:01 AM
Very cool, thanks for posting Dave. I've recently started collecting these. Here are a few of my favorites. One of them belonged to Lionel: