PDA

View Full Version : Is this a single event or a sign of things to come

BeanTown
01-25-2016, 08:20 AM
Had my snipe bid set days ago for this baseball currency that closed last night on EBay. I liked it for the main reason it had a Boston advertiser on it and that's where I'm from. Normally a 500.00 bid would win it especially in the condition it was in. It closed just shy of 850.00. My hunch is the market might be catching up on these things and that prices will continue to rise... Maybe someone did some reading on old articles that Bob Lemke and Jerry Spillman did on these years ago? Congrats to the winner as its a cool piece!!!

TaxMechanick
01-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Yes, I believe it may be a sign of things to come. These currencies are one of my favorite issues! They contain many hall of famers, and other key players (i.e. Billy Sunday), and, at least by my belief, have been extremely undervalued for years!

Considering the paper issue they are, it can be extremely difficult to find nice condition ones! I suppose values in the sports collectors world have been held down because they are not a "card" rather are "paper" currency note, that were typically redeemable towards a purchased discount (i.e. 5%) from the given advertiser. So, they fall into the memorabilia realm, rather than the card area, which limits interest from that perspective. However, for me, as both a card and memorabilia collector, as well as a collector of history; this gives them more cross appeal in multiple areas....i.e. baseball, advertising, currency issues, etc.

I have even seen some that are slabbed, so that may help in the future.

The Chicago ones are somewhat scarce, but, when you factor in all the advertising possibilities, variations can be extremely rare.

The 1887 St. Louis one is extremely tough to find, with any advertiser. The 1888 St. Louis one is ultra rare and quite difficult to find...I believe there are only a few known.

The 1893 All Star one is also ultra rare, again including any advertiser.

Glenn Mechanick

drcy
01-25-2016, 11:41 AM
I've thought they were undervalued. Though that doesn't mean whenever I think something is undervalued it's price goes up.

Joshchisox08
01-25-2016, 04:41 PM
Never seen, heard, nor have any clue about any details on this but all I know is it is amazing looking!

BeanTown
01-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Very well said Glen and they cross over into multiple areas of collectibles. They loaded with HOFers and are very fragile. One note that has not been published or written about yet is the Indian Ball Club. I think it was 1887. Plus there is a boxing note with John Sullivan. I would love to buy a St Louis one from 1888.

Jobu
01-25-2016, 11:21 PM
For those who are unfamiliar with baseball currencies (as I was), I think you will find this to be informative:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2013/59.html

BeanTown
01-26-2016, 06:13 AM
Let's make it 9 known

btcarfagno
01-26-2016, 07:35 AM
I have always loved these and have bid on several, though I never actually won one. I agree that they are undervalued, although the Chicago ones seem to be rather plentiful.

Tom C

BeanTown
01-26-2016, 08:43 AM
I have always loved these and have bid on several, though I never actually won one. I agree that they are undervalued, although the Chicago ones seem to be rather plentiful.

Tom C

Yes, Chicago is seen the most and then Detroit. St. Louis and the All-star are rarely seen. Then the Indian Ball Club note has been seen once. It's my poor man version of the California league OldJudge players!

bosoxphan
01-26-2016, 06:13 PM
How many different advertisers are there? Are there multiple advertisers for each type of note?

BeanTown
01-27-2016, 12:23 PM
How many different advertisers are there? Are there multiple advertisers for each type of note?

That is a GREAT question... The answer is unknown. Bob Lemke did an article on them back in 2006 I believe in the SCD. Yes, there is a premium based on where the advertiser is located. Deadwood comes to mind as that was just a territory when they came out. Plus, out West would be a multiplier I would imagine.

These things are pretty scare and yet very collectible. Many collectors have had or Still have one in their collection. But, there has really never been a checklist or price guide on these based on the advertiser or should I say the overprint that is stamped on them.

Did, anyone notice the one that got gobbled up on EBay last night after 20 minutes?