PDA

View Full Version : 1940's/1950's Baseball Snapshots - Help with ID Needed

ATP
01-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Hello All,

Slow and crummy weather Saturday here so I thought I would go through some items that have been stumping me a little. I know very little about stadiums, parks, etc of this era and have been hanging onto these snapshots that came along with a very large baseball autograph and program collection I purchased last year. To give a little background, the photos are likely between 1945 and 1953 as that was the era for almost all of the games that were attended, and all games that the original owner attended were either in New York, Brooklyn, Boston, and a few in Montreal (went to a couple of Jackie Robinson's games when he was with the Royals in 1946), and one or two games in DC.

There are three sets of snapshots. The first two I need help with. I can't recognize where they are. My wife thinks that the guy standing near third base in the first photo looks like he is wearing number 42 and could be Jackie but my eyesight is not that great and I can't tell what it says. The next four photos are in Boston, and I think the last four (which are bound in a small album), are also Boston. Tucked in the back of this album is a photo of the Manhattan skyline.

Really, I am looking for any insight that folks could provide, like when, where, who are in the photos so that I can know what I have, as close as that could possibly be.

Hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I did and look forward to hearing any thoughts on them.

icollectDCsports
01-23-2016, 05:45 PM
Last four are from DC's Griffith Stadium. Very nice.

ATP
01-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Last four are from DC's Griffith Stadium. Very nice.

Thank you for the help on those ones. That makes sense, as there is one ticket stub for a game the original owner attended in DC, on May 30, 1953. Here is their stub they saved. It was a doubleheader, and the first game had a final score of 4 - 3 Boston. In the second to last photo in my original post, I can see the score is 4 - 1 at the time the photo was taken. I bet it was taken that day.
Thanks again for the help, I am very curious if anyone else recognizes the stadium or any info of the first two photos in the original post, and if it could be Jackie Robinson near third base.

jerseygary
01-25-2016, 05:39 AM
Can't help out with the stadium ID, but Jackie Robinson wore number "9" when he played for Montreal in 1946. He was given "42" when he made the Brooklyn roster in 1947.