PDA

View Full Version : 12 inch wagner reverse decal bat

minibatsman
01-23-2016, 01:36 PM
In the past two weeks with the cooperation of members we resolved a couple different issues about mini decal bats.
The most important one was that these bats were not salesman samples.
Now I would like to try to resolve why the 12 inch Wagner reverse decal bat even exists. It is my opinion that the bat was a mistake? the bats were made the decals arrived and the decal just didn't fit on the same side as the H&S logo. this caused them to changed the size of the bats to 14 inches. when you see one it is always in almost perfect condition. cant say that about other decal bats.I don't think they ever left the factory.This in my opinion. I believe its a important bat
I believe these decals were first used in 1914 using information provided by others about Gowdy and that his decal is on the same sheet as Wagner. that would mean H&S decal bats were only available for two years. they are hard to find and only three players exist on twelve inch bats. Cobb, Gowdey and Wagner the Cobb and Gowdy because there decals fit the twelve inch bats. The 12 inch Wagner is only found like in the photo on the reverse of the trade mark and very few exist. Collins and others being the same length as the Wagner decal just don't exist on 12 inch bats?. I can only assume that as they applied the first Wagner decals and realized this they changed the bat size to 14 inches. And the decals don't fit very well on the 14s either the Decals touch the H&S logo and there hard to find were the tip of the decal is not missing. this could have lead to the 16 inch bats?.
I believe this could be in my opinion explain some of the first mini decal bats?. The longer 18 - 22 inch bats in my opinion exist because they just didn't waist material back then if there was a use for it they used it.

John V
01-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Do you have a photo of the Wagner?

minibatsman
01-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Its the only 12 inch Wagner decal bat of this era I am aware off
Its the only one with a decal on the reverse of the H&S logo
The purpose of these decals is not only to appeal to the buyer of there favorite player on the bat they are a fan off. but to also show H&S is were you have to go to get one. this bat in a vender display would have the Wagner decal showing and the makers emblem underneath and not seen . There is no way H&S would allow this.
At first the decal was 99 percent intact? I have sent two bats a 12 and a 14 inch Wagner to half dozen so called bat experts. Including the company that sold the H&S/H&B museum personal collection. With one response by all there both salesman samples. I no they were wrong on that one.
Just shipping and handling by experts will damage the decals.

maybe we can make this discussion a little more interesting. I have always argued that the H&S decal bats were not from 1910 -1915 period as major auction houses have said. including the Hillerich family
a couple statements made by others could possibly put an exact date to the H&S bats. first the inclusion of Hank Gowdy decal dosnt make sense for 1913.
and I have seen some catalogs from 1913 that do not mention H&S decal bats I have no real proof of this but with some help maybe we can clearly identify the year these decal bats were actually first issued. this could be useful to full-size decal bat collectors also.
1914 maybe but possibly H&S decal bats were only sold in 1915 be nice to prove it for me any way?. the rest would be H&B in 1916?
There are many more H&B decal bats that's a different discussion.

minibatsman
01-28-2016, 01:06 PM
it appears no body really cares about this post I am not surprised.
if anyone is interested there is a 34 3/4 cobb decal bat on Ebay. that ends tonight
I think the bat will sell for nothing close to the real value of it? I have no financial interest in this bat. a last 30 second bid could put a 4 figure bat in your collection for hundreds? if anyone is interested in this.

yanks12025
01-28-2016, 01:34 PM
it appears no body really cares about this post I am not surprised.
if anyone is interested there is a 34 3/4 cobb decal bat on Ebay. that ends tonight
I think the bat will sell for nothing close to the real value of it? I have no financial interest in this bat. a last 30 second bid could put a 4 figure bat in your collection for hundreds? if anyone is interested in this.

If we're talking about the same bat. No way will it sell close to 4 figures. The decal isn't in great shape, the grain is separating and there's chips in the knob.

minibatsman
01-28-2016, 09:31 PM
I don't no much about full size bats. I have a few that I paid to much for they are nice wall hangers. There not in a safe there on my wall were people can see them and they ask questions. I take one down and hand it to them and I have no problem letting others swing my 30s store model Ruth bat. I tell them exactly what it is its like they don't here what I tell them or care.
All they care about is that they just got to swing a Babe Ruth bat.