PDA

View Full Version : Grading Bump Question

Snapolit1
01-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Does anyone believe having a card graded in person at a show make a whit of difference in getting a TPG to give you a bump up? Maybe if you show them a nice card at a show numerous eyeballs will look at it, as opposed to some dude sitting by himself in a cubicle somewhere.? Don't know whether it's a factor or not. Also seems like you might have a shot for a little advocacy sitting across a table from someone as you pass the card over. But since I've never brought a card to a show for on site grading all speculative.

begsu1013
01-23-2016, 08:49 AM
only been to 1 show where ive actually submitted.

and grades were a lil better than what i was expecting.

however, i have had greater success submitting/reviewing several 9's of the same card and getting a 10.

2 outta 5 thus far, which is pretty damn good imo.

both were pretty big hits.

Peter_Spaeth
01-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Does anyone believe having a card graded in person at a show make a whit of difference in getting a TPG to give you a bump up? Maybe if you show them a nice card at a show numerous eyeballs will look at it, as opposed to some dude sitting by himself in a cubicle somewhere.? Don't know whether it's a factor or not. Also seems like you might have a shot for a little advocacy sitting across a table from someone as you pass the card over. But since I've never brought a card to a show for on site grading all speculative.

At this year's National, several people told me that if anything the grading was brutal. And you aren't discussing the card with the grader when you submit it.

MattyC
01-23-2016, 09:18 AM
I can attest to what Peter just said about the grading at the National-- the cards I submitted came back a half or whole grades less than I anticipated, and I don't fool myself with what a card deserves. As almost proof that the National grading was harsh, upon review the cards all bumped up to what I believed them to be.

begsu1013
01-23-2016, 09:24 AM
i am allergic to long lines, so...

but the national i submitted was in baltimore.

2013 perhaps?

whatever year they were doing the first run of the black swamp auction

glchen
01-23-2016, 10:57 AM
I've heard what the others have said also. It seems that in person grading at the shows is harsher.

rats60
01-23-2016, 12:57 PM
I thought the grading at the national was fair on my commons, but on the hall of famers it was brutal .5 to 1 grade lower than a similar common and what I was expecting.

mechanicalman
01-23-2016, 02:20 PM
In addition to the harsher grades, which I, too, experienced last year, the prices to grade are double what you'd pay my mailing. You save shipping, of course, but overall it's more expensive, and you give up some valuable time standing in line. And for reference, you generally hand the cards to an attractive woman and she hands the cards to the grader dudes behind the curtain. It's very Wizard of Ozish.