PDA

View Full Version : The Price Of Commons

Romahawk
01-18-2016, 08:22 AM
Ever since I tossed the first pack of cards in a box at the bottom of the closet I have heard the term commons and the price of commons tossed around by local collectors. Not knowing exactly what those kids were talking about and being to old to want to reveal the fact that I was not really a knowledgeable collector like they were I never asked. Now my curiosity and age allow me to ask you guys just what is a common and how are they valued?

Is a common in NY also a common in California and is the value of a common in NY the same as a common in California? Is there a sort of standard or is it just what ever someone is willing to pay? :confused:

Tripredacus
01-18-2016, 02:28 PM
For the most part, commons are base cards from a set that aren't rookies, HOF or star players. Some rookie, HOF or star player base can be commons, it depends on who they are and when the set was manufactured.

There is a thing known as regional markup, where cards for players belonging to a local sports team cost more in that area than usual. As an example, in NYS, Yankees cards will cost more than in California. For the most part, that is going to include cards of players currently with the team, depicted in the team's uniform.

Romahawk
01-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Thank you for the response, I was suprised to see that a H.O.F. player could also be a common card.. I was under the impression that a common had no real value other than a simulated motor in the spokes of a bicycle or as dumpster or fire place material. :rolleyes:

dgo71
01-19-2016, 11:24 PM
Depends on the set as well. A "common card" from a Topps set from the 1950's is pretty valuable just based on how many are out there and the condition they are in. Immensely overproduced commons from the 1990's on the other hand are pennies on the pound.

drcy
01-20-2016, 02:34 AM
The only time I would think a HOFer would be a common is when it's a set of HOFers-- ala the Callahans or Perez HOF postcards. In most cases, commons are common players.

A common is the lowest priced card in the set-- and there were be many (mostly) commons. If it's priced above that, it's not a common. I supposed if there's a particular triple printed card, a card could be priced below the common level-- but I can't think of an example of that off the top of my head.

vintagetoppsguy
01-20-2016, 05:29 AM
A common is the lowest priced card in the set...

If it's priced above that, it's not a common.

Yes, this ^

Romahawk
01-20-2016, 08:33 AM
OK are the price guides that you pick up at a local magazine store an accurate indicator of what is a common and what is not? If I don't find a card and it's value listed can I consider it a common? :confused:

vintagetoppsguy
01-20-2016, 11:41 AM
OK are the price guides that you pick up at a local magazine store an accurate indicator of what is a common and what is not? If I don't find a card and it's value listed can I consider it a common? :confused:

Yeah, they're a pretty good indicator of what is a common and what is not.

The annual price guides (the ones that list every card in a particular set) are more accurate though (accurate as far as what is a common).

Romahawk
01-21-2016, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the good info guys.... Now it's off to design my Spock's motor. :cool: