PDA

View Full Version : Some random grading questions

Snapolit1
01-15-2016, 02:29 PM
1. If you submit a card to PSA or SGC and they do give you a bump up (or down), do they assign an entirely new registration number to the card?

2. If they do change the grade, I assume they modify their registry to delete one card at the changed grade and add another at the new grade. Are they pretty good about doing this?

3. If you submit a card from another grader and they brake it open and regrade it, is there any communication to the other grading company to delete a graded card from their registry? Guessing no.

4. Can you tell anything from registration numbers about how recently a card was graded? Is their some code to crack for any of the registries?

xplainer
01-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Good questions and I can answer none.

I know the population report should be taken with a grain of salt. Cards are often busted out and resubmitted. Most times to another company. So the pop numbers are often lower than the reports show - except high grades.

pokerplyr80
01-15-2016, 09:08 PM
Someone in another thread posted a card that got a bump from PSA and they kept the same cert #. I don't know about the other two.

vthobby
01-15-2016, 10:00 PM
1. If you submit a card to PSA or SGC and they do give you a bump up (or down), do they assign an entirely new registration number to the card?

2. If they do change the grade, I assume they modify their registry to delete one card at the changed grade and add another at the new grade. Are they pretty good about doing this?

3. If you submit a card from another grader and they brake it open and regrade it, is there any communication to the other grading company to delete a graded card from their registry? Guessing no.

4. Can you tell anything from registration numbers about how recently a card was graded? Is their some code to crack for any of the registries?

#1 I can tell you that it is rare for a card to be bumped down for the simple fact that when you send the card in for review, you would be crazy to accept any grade so you tell the TPG (third party grader) that you want the same grade or higher only. That way if they thought it should be a lower grade they would not touch it as you told them same grade or higher. There are places on their submission forms to denote this and they have a comments section on every card. I always put a comment just to back up my wishes.
Do they keep the same registration #? Usually YES. An example is posted below. There are some rare instances where they do not but that is their usual modus operandi.

#2 Yes and Yes

#3 No (typically there is no love lost between TPGs)

#4 Yes but you would have to have a history with a TPG so you can track serial numbers based on timeframe. For instance PSA and SGC (not sure about Beckett) keep your entire submission history on your personal log in page. I did this recently by looking at my serial numbers from 2 years ago and basically dated a card on Ebay by this method. If you do not have a history with TPGs, then there must be another way but my way worked just fine for me.

Peace, Mike Pap