PDA

View Full Version : Anybody do/thought about a HOF run?

jasonc
01-15-2016, 01:39 AM
Certainly there are set collectors that do set runs -- collecting the whole set for consecutive years, but are there people who collect only the hall of famers. It certainly won't keep costs down, but they don't have to worry about collecting the commons?
A run of hall of famers from 1952 - 1980 would look great together in binders, for those collecting low grade. In addition any new election to the hall of fame, keeps your collecting "fresh" as you have to hunt down that individual's cards.

Agdoc
01-15-2016, 06:20 AM
Long time lurker; first time poster. I've been doing this for the past 5 years in graded cards. Have nearly completed 1969-1986 in PSA 8 or better. Also finished 1954, 1956, 1957, 1961. Currently working on 33 Goudey, 1915 CJ, and T206. Makes it a lot easier to not have to buy low pop commons of players I have no desire to own just to complete a set. Also I don't need nearly as much space for storage.

tonyo
01-15-2016, 06:53 AM
Certainly there are set collectors that do set runs -- collecting the whole set for consecutive years, but are there people who collect only the hall of famers. It certainly won't keep costs down, but they don't have to worry about collecting the commons?
A run of hall of famers from 1952 - 1980 would look great together in binders, for those collecting low grade. In addition any new election to the hall of fame, keeps your collecting "fresh" as you have to hunt down that individual's cards.

I was inspired by this thread : http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=174273&highlight=completionist to attempt a run of topps/bowman regular issue hofer players only (no managers, execs,umps) 1948-1980. Fair/Good/VG condition. Mostly raw.

I still need 52t Campanella, Mathews, Wilhelm and 49b Snider, JRobinson and Paige. Also my 67t Seaver was sold as a reprint - it's a good one though, I can't really tell a difference and I wouldn't be completely shocked if it actually is authentic ( I know that's unlikely and I've never sent a card in for grading and don't really have any plans to so I probably will never find out). Regardless, I'll probably never own a real one- it's just not an appealing enough card for me to spend what it costs. Actually the same is true for the 52t Wilhelm and Mathews.

My cards aren't in albums though. Just sitting in stacks by year in an old cabinet I have that has a lot of shallow drawers. I like picking up a stack of 30 or 40 and thumbing thru them like I did back in the day.

Tony

Leon
01-15-2016, 06:54 AM
Long time lurker; first time poster. I've been doing this for the past 5 years in graded cards. Have nearly completed 1969-1986 in PSA 8 or better. Also finished 1954, 1956, 1957, 1961. Currently working on 33 Goudey, 1915 CJ, and T206. Makes it a lot easier to not have to buy low pop commons of players I have no desire to own just to complete a set. Also I don't need nearly as much space for storage.

Welcome......quit posting so often. :)

Those are some high grade Topps sets........I am not into sets either. I collect cards I like....

arexcrooke
01-18-2016, 10:42 AM
This is the direction that my collecting has gone to and I am thoroughly enjoying it! Ive learned over the years that I just do not have the patience or desire to put together a complete set with all the commons. There are some exceptions to this as I am currently workong (half-heartedly I admit) on a 1953 Bowman Color set.
I find doing the set with the HoFers is very enjoyable and exciting.
I am currently working on the 1956 Topps Hall Fame and am down to 12 cards with only the Ted Williams being the big card left. Its fun looking at eBay and trying to find a nicely centered lower grade card that presents well that is being auctioned. Fun!
I am also working on the 1953 Bowman Color Hall of Fame set as well. Only 26 cards (two are combo cards) so its attainable and some of the most beautiful cards ever made. Im early on it buy have 6 already with my favorite card being the Yogi Berra PSA 5. Love that card!
Once I get done with one set ill add another. Most likely I will add the 1957 Topps set.
So yes I think a lot of people go the route of Hall of Fame sets.

DBesse27
01-18-2016, 11:23 AM
For 1974 Topps I'm collecting the Red Sox and HOFers. Long way to go, but may tackle another year after that.

Shoebox
01-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Among the vast number of PSA set registries are Topps Decade of HOF sets which contain the Topps base card of each HOF player and manager in the set for all ten sets of that decade. These composites suit my buying interests so I was making an attempt to put them together for 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s but not pursuing any of them too hard just picking up cards when they come available at a price I like. My 70s set is about 20% complete, the others not as far along. My downfall is the RCs. I never want to cough up the premium for them.

jasonc
01-19-2016, 03:20 AM
This is the direction that my collecting has gone to and I am thoroughly enjoying it! Ive learned over the years that I just do not have the patience or desire to put together a complete set with all the commons. There are some exceptions to this as I am currently workong (half-heartedly I admit) on a 1953 Bowman Color set.
I find doing the set with the HoFers is very enjoyable and exciting.
I am currently working on the 1956 Topps Hall Fame and am down to 12 cards with only the Ted Williams being the big card left. Its fun looking at eBay and trying to find a nicely centered lower grade card that presents well that is being auctioned. Fun!
I am also working on the 1953 Bowman Color Hall of Fame set as well. Only 26 cards (two are combo cards) so its attainable and some of the most beautiful cards ever made. Im early on it buy have 6 already with my favorite card being the Yogi Berra PSA 5. Love that card!
Once I get done with one set ill add another. Most likely I will add the 1957 Topps set.
So yes I think a lot of people go the route of Hall of Fame sets.

Actually if somebody was to collect hall of famers from 1956 and 1957 topps, they would get an awesome group of cards.

arexcrooke
01-19-2016, 04:50 AM
Jasonc-I completely agree! I love those two sets! The depth of the HOF players and the beauty of the cards are like crack to me! It's hard for me not to start on the 57 set but I am trying so hard to retain some kind of focus and not get so spread out over a bunch of different sets at once.