PDA

View Full Version : Hal Chase photo restoration - Thoughts?

rholmes
01-14-2016, 10:42 AM
I acquired this Hal Chase photo a month or so ago and posted it in a new pickups thread, so a few you have seen it already. 1908 image, Chase with the Stockton Millers. Bain stamp and a 1911 date stamp on the reverse. The photo is a little beat up to say the least, but I'm thinking it might be a good candidate for restoration and am hoping I might get some opinions on that, as well as recommendations for anyone who does good work on photos. Ideally I'd like to do as little as possible on it. The tape on the back has to come off and the tear fixed with an archival repair while keeping the back stamps visible. The bigger question is whether to have the tear line on the front of the photo restored/filled in--- or not.

Any thoughts welcome. I didn't pay much for the photo, don't mind putting a little more money into it, and don't really know if doing work on it (especially 'fixing' the front tear line) does much for value one way or the other. Also, this seems to be a somewhat historic photo of Chase so it probably deserves the conservation/preservation in any case.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/semloh00/Hal%20Chase%20Stockton%201908%20Bain.jpg

drcy
01-14-2016, 12:37 PM
Even if restored, you still be able to see the line and the work would be expensive. I'd say leave it alone, unless you want to take removed for conservation reasons. Just my vote.

JoeyFarino
01-14-2016, 01:30 PM
I say leave it as is. Great photo

rholmes
01-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. My first instinct, as usual with anything, is not to do anything to it. The front really doesn't bother me aesthetically. The only real bummer is how the tape has reacted over the years and darkened the image. It would be good to put a stop to that, although it's possible the tape has already done as much damage as it's going to do...at least for a long time.

HotSpringsBaseball
01-15-2016, 05:08 PM
From my experience, at this age, the tape has ran it's course. I don't think you will notice any further concern in regards to the reaction of the paper. Personally, I agree with your original thoughts... leave it in its current state. I would only encourage preservation and stabilization. Good luck either way! That's a great image!