PDA

View Full Version : White Plains Show 1/15-1/17

Donscards
01-12-2016, 06:45 AM
White Plains Show this weekend 1/15 thru 1/17---This is a great show with tons of Vintage dealers----I will be setting up with 10 showcases of graded vintage cards 1910 thru the 60's---Specializing in Superstars and Rookies---Two of my better cards will be a PSA 5 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle and a PSA 7 1951 Bowman Willie Mays----I also have albums of commons (1951 Bowman--1957 Topps and 1959-1960 and 1961 Topps) along with some other good stuff. Hope to see all the local collectors again. Don Hontz

ullmandds
01-13-2016, 11:07 AM
i will be in jersey this weekend...and I may try to attend on fri...anyone else????

TCMA
01-13-2016, 11:17 AM
I will be there and likely submitting this card to SGC for grading:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1667/24251116622_c1a2d0b1dc_z.jpg

Prince Hal
01-13-2016, 02:02 PM
I'll be there too and I will look you up. Do you know if SGC will be there Friday? I have a W600 I would like to get slabbed.

Donscards
01-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Yes. SGC. Will be there all weekend

bbsports
01-13-2016, 02:57 PM
I will be setting up there again this year with over 1100 graded T206 cards plus a few surprises.

Cmount76
01-13-2016, 03:01 PM
I'll be there on Saturday. As usual, looking forward to a great show!

brass_rat
01-13-2016, 05:35 PM
I will be attending on Saturday or Sunday if anybody would like to meet and chat for a bit. I really enjoy meeting members. I happened to be in Raleigh last weekend and had the pleasure of meeting Dan B. and Adam G. at a local show.

Cheers,
Steve

ullmandds
01-15-2016, 04:51 PM
i came down with something...and did not make it to the show today...did anyone go? how was/is it?

Leon
01-16-2016, 06:03 AM
i came down with something...and did not make it to the show today...did anyone go? how was/is it?

+1 Any updates?

x2drich2000
01-16-2016, 06:46 AM
Leaving in about 30 minutes to go, will give an update when I get back. If anyone wants to say "hi" I'll be wearing jeans and a plain green hoodie.

DJ

x2drich2000
01-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Just got back a little while ago. Mostly the same dealers, though a few seemed to change locations. As expected, prices were high and very little caramel cards. A decent selection of t206s though. Admission went up to $10, so between tolls, parking and admission, it was $22 before I even stepped in the door. :(

DJ

ullmandds
01-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the update...seeing as we have similar collecting tastes...im glad i got the noroviris!!!

MVSNYC
01-16-2016, 01:59 PM
I took the train from NYC yesterday afternoon. Was pretty good. Had something reslabed at SGC, talked to Bill B (awesome selection of T206's), saw Al briefly from LOTG, and talked to an old time dealer/friend, John Goodman. The only thing I bought was a PSA 10 Jeter minor league card for my son's Jeter set. Oh, and treated myself to some Nathan's cheese fries. ;)

Overall, a good show, always fun to walk thru.

brass_rat
01-16-2016, 02:10 PM
I agree with DJ...not much new stuff at the show, but the attendance was the best I've seen in a long time. The people were most likely there for all of the autograph guests...but it was also good to see a number of kids walking around.

Cheers,
Steve

ullmandds
01-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Question is...how was the selection of high grade early mantles????

x2drich2000
01-16-2016, 04:26 PM
I agree with DJ...not much new stuff at the show, but the attendance was the best I've seen in a long time. The people were most likely there for all of the autograph guests...but it was also good to see a number of kids walking around.

Cheers,
Steve

Definitely agree with the last part involving kids. There were more kids this time then I remember seeing in a long time and the were all excited to be opening packs and searching for singles.

DJ

Jewish-collector
01-16-2016, 04:41 PM
I went to this show in August, as it was advertised as the "East Coast National". How did THIS show compare to that show in terms of number of dealers, vintage, memorabilia, auction houses, etc,... ?

khkco4bls
01-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Holy crap said hello to george foster. He is in great shape. The man looks like he could play today.

brass_rat
01-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Question is...how was the selection of high grade early mantles????

They are so common that they were giving them away as entry gifts. :D

To answer the other question, if you've ever been to this show in White Plains, it's basically exactly the same. I honestly don't notice any differences from show to show in WP in terms of quality, but I enjoy going nonetheless. Going to a real National just spoils a person for all other shows. :eek:

Cheers,
Steve

skelly
01-16-2016, 06:30 PM
I would actually disagree with the above post and say that I don't think all the White Plains Shows are the same. I truly felt that there were a couple new "faces" at this one and it seemed a little stronger than usual. Granted I was there mid day on Sat which is likely the busiest time out of all three days, but I truly felt the floor was pretty packed. One poster above did mention the entry fee of $10.00, which really is nothing as far as a $2.00 increase, but it does turn the wheels in your mind a little.... Paying to park, tolls, entry fee, it does put a little pressure on them to deliver a good product. Anyway, I think if the weather is good, the January show is perhaps their strongest, because many people don't like to go to the downstairs show in Nov. I realize that the autographs are a big deal, but those are something that I don't collect & know little about. I will say that from a card collecting standpoint, maybe eliminate the Nov show and either the Sept or the May show. Try to have four shows a year and make them "Special." Add a couple door prizes etc... Another possibility could be having two shows that are scaled down. Maybe as a thank you to all the dealers that show up time after time at every show, just go $50 a table, no grading companies ( unless they want to go for just one day ) and just run a 10:00-4:00 show on Sat. One day, in and out, etc... I realize that there is a lot in play with the building management, etc... Just a thought. Curious what others have to say on the matter.

Vintageclout
01-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Great show with a high volume of nice vintage cards & memorabilia. Aisles were crowded most most of the day....

iwantitiwinit
01-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Just got back a little while ago. Mostly the same dealers, though a few seemed to change locations. As expected, prices were high and very little caramel cards. A decent selection of t206s though. Admission went up to $10, so between tolls, parking and admission, it was $22 before I even stepped in the door. :(

DJ

Next time park across the street at the commuter lot for free.

TCMA
01-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Next time park across the street at the commuter lot for free.

Or on the street behind the building.

ezez420
01-16-2016, 08:27 PM
I agree with Skelly. High table prices and costs need to be reduced or move venue elsewhere.

T206Collector
01-16-2016, 08:58 PM
I would actually disagree with the above post and say that I don't think all the White Plains Shows are the same. I truly felt that there were a couple new "faces" at this one and it seemed a little stronger than usual.

+1

Rich Klein
01-17-2016, 05:20 AM
I agree with Skelly. High table prices and costs need to be reduced or move venue elsewhere.

As a local promoter in Dallas, I totally agree with this concept. I keep table prices and admission reasonable and bring in players as possible which fit into our budget. But that also means I'm not going to get the HOFers.

HOWEVER, as a person who grew up in the NY area and lived there for more than 30 years, where the heck are you going to put a big show as a promoter and not have to pay what we would consider exorbitant prices. And the promoters are in business to make money and those fees and the autograph prices (and yes some of them made me blanch when I saw the ad( are what they are.

If you want cheaper shows, they need to be in hotels and be limited to 50-60 tables and your best guest will be someone like Ed Kranepool or Art Shamsky.

Sorry, I wish the economics could let us return to the days when we used venues such as Montclair State College but that ship sailed about 30+ years ago

Rich

Prince Hal
01-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Good show overall with lots of dealers and a decent amount of pre-war stuff. I don't do autographs but if you do this show was chock full. The auction houses had some very nice high end stuff on display and were interesting to talk with. I was looking for T206 HOF portraits and there was not a great selection other than from Bill Bredhead (sp). Lots of commons though. Picked up a Joss and Waddell at very fair prices. One dealer had a nice SGC 55 Lajoie but the price was pretty well above what I've seen for the grade. The pre-war stuff at some tables rivaled the eBay BIN museum price numbers...I was hoping to get a W600 graded there but SGC wanted $100 which seemed pretty steep. Lots of Topps/Bowman so set builders there could make a killing. For me it was worth the 2.5 hour drive each way. It did remind me that eBay really can be a decent place for selection and reasonable deals if you are patient. I'll go back again.

CharleyBrown
01-17-2016, 07:50 AM
I really wanted to go this weekend, but had to chaperone a school trip to a Brooklyn Nets game on Friday night, and my son had a basketball game yesterday. Hoping to go today but it's not looking like it's going to happen at the moment.

I didn't go in November, but I have gone to just about every other show the last few years, and I've definitely seen more and more kids with every show.

As for parking, I haven't paid for parking in well over a year. There are other options around that don't require payment.

GregMitch34
01-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Just got back from Sunday morning visit. As usually just the usual museum pieces for pre-war. Crowds thin and I swear I didn't see a single wallet out--except at grading tables. Lot of chat about stock market though...maybe bad sign...