PDA

View Full Version : PSA Registry Sets

ls7plus
01-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Maybe the members here can explain this to me: Why do so many elite collectors put together some of the finest PSA Registry Sets, only to put them up for auction upon completion? Are they largely profit-motivated? Simply need a new challenge? As one who likes the feeling of being able to hold the history of the game itself right in my own hands, I frankly do not understand why so many registry sets are auctioned off, or broken up for the same purpose. Help, anyone?

Sincerely,

Larry

Republicaninmass
01-11-2016, 06:49 PM
For me, the thrill is in the chase and the journey. Once a set is complete, then it is time to move on to another project. I've done the upgrading thing as well, but I now chose to start something completely different.

vthobby
01-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Registry sets usually involve plenty of funds and constant upgrading. When all is set and done, sometimes you look back and realize how much you really spent and you either need to get some of that back.......or fund an even newer Registry Set! :)

Tastes change over time but the price of those "tastes" continue to soar! :D

Peace, Mike

Peter_Spaeth
01-11-2016, 08:01 PM
To quote one of the great moments in Star Trek, from Spock.

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting.

1952boyntoncollector
01-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Maybe the members here can explain this to me: Why do so many elite collectors put together some of the finest PSA Registry Sets, only to put them up for auction upon completion? Are they largely profit-motivated? Simply need a new challenge? As one who likes the feeling of being able to hold the history of the game itself right in my own hands, I frankly do not understand why so many registry sets are auctioned off, or broken up for the same purpose. Help, anyone?

Sincerely,

Larry

Well it isn't profitable if they are selling the whole set. Afterall the person buying the set didn't want every card as hard as the person that was the high bidder on card after card. As buyers we all know the best deals come during set breaks when all the card are auctioned off at the same time so its the reverse effect on the seller..

but yeah I agree with the rest..after the chase is over you go for something else. I also think everyone fears the market going down and they don't want to be caught with several high value sets (that consist of many high grade common cards which are the ones to worry about) if the market tanks....

ALR-bishop
01-11-2016, 08:22 PM
To quote one of the great moments in Star Trek, from Spock.

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting.

"It is not logical, but it is often true"

In fairness he was thinking about women at the time, not baseball cards. A baseball card did not show up until Next Generation :-)

Peter_Spaeth
01-11-2016, 08:26 PM

Top five episode IMO.

Sean
01-11-2016, 09:50 PM

In fairness he was thinking about women at the time, not baseball cards. A baseball card did not show up until Next Generation :-)

I think that it was a Roger Maris card. Did they specify a year?

ALR-bishop
01-11-2016, 10:58 PM

Leon
01-12-2016, 07:44 AM

Sincerely,

Larry

The chase is most of the fun for many collectors. Once a goal is caught it's not as much fun. So off to the next one....

drcy
01-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Why do they go for registry sets would be my question.

philliesphan
01-12-2016, 09:39 AM
For many collectors, it is akin to mountain climbing.

The whole joy and point is the journey of getting to the top. Sure, once you're there, you'll have a look about, take a few pictures, maybe celebrate, but then you're done and move on.

I recognized this about myself (as a collector) which has fundamentally changed how I've structured some of my longer-term projects, which are, by definition, less structured and not possible for completion.

ls7plus
01-12-2016, 02:04 PM
OK, got it. Thanks for your responses, guys.

Happy collecting,

Larry