PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one???

Joshchisox08
01-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Alright time to get something off of my chest. Call me selfish/jealous/envious/etc.

I was wondering if other collectors on here or elsewhere feel the same about a certain something.

Like others I don't seem to have the highest budget to be buying the cards I wish/hope/dream I could get. Then you see others who have multiple duplicates/triplicates/etc of the same cards you're wishing/hoping/dreaming of owning.

Once in awhile you even have a glimmer of hope to get one around or sniffing your price range and BAM!!!! one of those collectors who have 85 of the same card swipes it out from you right under the rug. Keep in mind you don't own a single example.

I'm not calling anyone out just wondering and thinking I can't be the only one who has these thoughts. Jealousy and getting frustrated at examples like above. It's hard to admit to it. On one hand the other person has the money and obviously I don't just expect them to say "hey here you go you don't have one". On the other hand you kind of do expect that like "hey guy! you have more than one of these how about saving some for those who don't".

Mixed thoughts and feelings. Hopefully others can relate to this.

Rookiemonster
01-11-2016, 10:36 AM
I kind of came to terms with it . You know like I'll get afford a t206 Wagner or a 1952 topps mantle . If I could I might try for more then one . What gets me some times is if I buy a card like 1960 sandy Koufax and I feel excited about it .
Then you see some one with a high end run of all his cards . It demoralizing a bit .

Joshchisox08
01-11-2016, 10:41 AM
What gets me some times is if I buy a card like 1960 sandy Koufax and I feel excited about it .
Then you see some one with a high end run of all his cards . It demoralizing a bit .

This is precisely what I was getting at.

Orioles1954
01-11-2016, 10:45 AM
I work in this hobby. I have seen and been around it all. There will ALWAYS be someone with something better, nicer, greater, etc. There will ALWAYS be someone with endless amounts of money who doesn't appreciate what they have. That's when you have to make a decision. Will I appreciate and want what I have or will I seek to compare myself with others? The former will bring satisfaction while the latter will never bring contentment.

t206fix
01-11-2016, 10:46 AM
When it happens to me, I just remember that it's just cardboard :D

Also, I look at others' collections and drool, but there are a few (very few) who look at my collection and slightly salivate...:o

Jeffrompa
01-11-2016, 10:50 AM
It can be frustrating . There are some serious 24/7/365 collectors that have some deep pockets .

chipperhank44
01-11-2016, 10:59 AM
As a collector with a limited budget, I have found that the only way to close the gap is with hard work. My strategy is as follows:

Rule #1: Don't look for cards in the same places as high rollers (Heritage, REA, etc.) Look at smaller auction houses and grind out garage/estate sales.

Rule #2: Search more often and with less precision. Grind out ebay searches. Be the first one to see that steal of a BIN. Or be the only one who grinds out a search as generic as "old baseball card" or "vintage baseball". Everyone can search "Ty Cobb", not everyone (especially not your high roller competition) will grind through thousands of listings to find that one special card with no player name in the listing.

Rule #3: Be knowledgeable enough to buy ungraded cards. If you know your stuff you can buy ungraded and cut your competition in half (especially those high rollers who only buy graded). Never leave home without a loupe and a black light.

Eggoman
01-11-2016, 11:15 AM
As a collector with a limited budget, I have found that the only way to close the gap is with hard work. My strategy is as follows:

Rule #1: Don't look for cards in the same places as high rollers (Heritage, REA, etc.) Look at smaller auction houses and grind out garage/estate sales.

Rule #2: Search more often and with less precision. Grind out ebay searches. Be the first one to see that steal of a BIN. Or be the only one who grinds out a search as generic as "old baseball card" or "vintage baseball". Everyone can search "Ty Cobb", not everyone (especially not your high roller competition) will grind through thousands of listings to find that one special card with no player name in the listing.

Rule #3: Be knowledgeable enough to buy ungraded cards. If you know your stuff you can buy ungraded and cut your competition in half (especially those high rollers who only buy graded). Never leave home without a loupe and a black light.

ABSOLUTELY! I STILL enjoy the hope-against-hope of finding SOMETHING at a Garage/Estate Sale/Flea Market or dingy, dumpy antique shop, whatever...because Hey! YAH NEVER KNOW!

Laxcat
01-11-2016, 11:15 AM
+1 to Rule #3

If you are frustrated already, searching 1000's of random listings will make you go mad.

My advice: don't buy a bunch of readily available stuff. If your budget is not depleted from over purchasing you have a higher chance of snagging the card you really want.

Peter_Spaeth
01-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Alright time to get something off of my chest. Call me selfish/jealous/envious/etc.

I was wondering if other collectors on here or elsewhere feel the same about a certain something.

Like others I don't seem to have the highest budget to be buying the cards I wish/hope/dream I could get. Then you see others who have multiple duplicates/triplicates/etc of the same cards you're wishing/hoping/dreaming of owning.

Once in awhile you even have a glimmer of hope to get one around or sniffing your price range and BAM!!!! one of those collectors who have 85 of the same card swipes it out from you right under the rug. Keep in mind you don't own a single example.

I'm not calling anyone out just wondering and thinking I can't be the only one who has these thoughts. Jealousy and getting frustrated at examples like above. It's hard to admit to it. On one hand the other person has the money and obviously I don't just expect them to say "hey here you go you don't have one". On the other hand you kind of do expect that like "hey guy! you have more than one of these how about saving some for those who don't".

How do you who is buying the card you had hoped to get?

vintagetoppsguy
01-11-2016, 11:18 AM
I work in this hobby. I have seen and been around it all. There will ALWAYS be someone with something better, nicer, greater, etc. There will ALWAYS be someone with endless amounts of money who doesn't appreciate what they have. That's when you have to make a decision. Will I appreciate and want what I have or will I seek to compare myself with others? The former will bring satisfaction while the latter will never bring contentment.

+1

Joshchisox08
01-11-2016, 11:20 AM
How do you who is buying the card you had hoped to get?

I said I wasn't going to name names :cool:

And not only necessarily just missing out on an auction it's the fact that I could yearn to own a particular t206 and there are those with a back run of the same player when I can't even get just a "poor" grade example.

Eric72
01-11-2016, 11:26 AM

And not only necessarily just missing out on an auction it's the fact that I could yearn to own a particular t206 and there are those with a back run of the same player when I can't even get just a "poor" grade example.

I'm not sure that a back run would qualify as multiple copies of the same card. By nature of the different backs, wouldn't they be different cards?

Not singling you out, just offering my perspective.

Peter_Spaeth
01-11-2016, 11:28 AM

OK I see. I remember that feeling when back in the day (God knows why) I was trying to put together a high grade 65T set. It seemed that no matter what I bid on the lower pop cards, there were guys who would go higher -- and back then they weren't anonymous either lol. :D

ullmandds
01-11-2016, 11:28 AM
do I sense green cobb envy????

Laxcat
01-11-2016, 11:31 AM
OK I see. I remember that feeling when back in the day (God knows why) I was trying to put together a high grade 65T set. It seemed that no matter what I bid on the lower pop cards, there were guys who would go higher -- and back then they weren't anonymous either lol. :D

Same. Except '62 Hi #'s

Bored5000
01-11-2016, 11:34 AM
My advice: don't buy a bunch of readily available stuff. If your budget is not depleted from over purchasing you have a higher chance of snagging the card you really want.

Agree with this. This is nothing against anyone who collect T206s or 33 Goudeys or 52 Topps. Those are all iconic sets, but I love the obscure or esoteric. If a collector can find an interest in something other than baseball, there are lots of really rare or obscure cards that won't cost thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

My family is lifelong auto racing fans. I started going to races when I was just a couple months old. There are cards on my want list from the iconic 1972 STP racing set that have been on my want list for a while, even though they may only be worth a few hundred dollars. For me, I can get just as much enjoyment out of a really rare $300-500 card that took me years to find as I can buying a card worth far more money that can be bought any day of the week on eBay or shows up several times a year at auction.

Jewish-collector
01-11-2016, 11:43 AM
As a very low budget collector, it's taken me a long time to realize that I can't compete with the very wealthy collectors. Since I'm not a big player in the hobby, these guys really don't communicate with me. I don't take it personally, It's just the way it is. I just try to enjoy the hobby the best I can.

This is one of the hobbies where money is a huge factor. Other hobbies like playing sports, computer gaming, fishing, hunting, camping, sailing, photography, etc,... are more about technique and/or skill rather than money.

jsq
01-11-2016, 11:56 AM
you mention loupe and black light to determine if a card has been tampered with. i vaguely recall reading in another collectible paper area that a black light worked extremely well to detect doctoring of the paper.

could someone elaborate if this is accurate with baseball cards? and specifically how effective it is?

also, does the the black light pick up on these same anamolies inside a slab?

and do the grading companies use a black light on all higher end value cards?

just wanting to understand,

thanks
jsq

Rookiemonster
01-11-2016, 12:13 PM
I was able to spend the most Money I ever spent on a card last year . It was to obtain my Grail 🏆. I did it by literally saving my change and selling things on Ebay. It took years ! At first , But once I applied the method of save and sell I got what wanted ( 1951 Bowman willie Mays psa 2) .

The only regret ? I focused so hard on it I wouldn't buy any other card or pack . I passed up so many great deals I seen along the way .

The brights side ? I feel like I have new life and buy little cheap cards I like or even 50 to 80 dollar cards ( from time to time ) . I don't feel guilty like man I could be saving for _________ . You fill in the blank lol .

So I gave my self some time before I focused on the next card on the list .

Laxcat
01-11-2016, 12:22 PM
you mention loupe and black light to determine if a card has been tampered with. i vaguely recall reading in another collectible paper area that a black light worked extremely well to detect doctoring of the paper.

could someone elaborate if this is accurate with baseball cards? and specifically how effective it is?

also, does the the black light pick up on these same anamolies inside a slab?

and do the grading companies use a black light on all higher end value cards?

just wanting to understand,

thanks
jsq

Here is pic of a black light. I think paper made after a certain year has whitening agents added. The newer stuff will "glow" under UV light. The Comiskey is an a16 and the Morrell is a 1972 TCMA reprint.

Cozumeleno
01-11-2016, 12:24 PM
I'm a pretty small fish as well, Josh. You just have to pick and choose your spots and as someone else said, it's not personal.

Keep everything in perspective and remember that everything is relative. For as many high-rollers as you are envious of, there are even more collectors who would kill to have the 250 or so T206s you do.

Also, when people buy duplicates, there's always a purpose. Maybe they feel it's a great deal and can flip it - a lot of people fund their collections this way and without doing that, they wouldn't be able to afford the things they want. Maybe they are constantly upgrading. Maybe they just want to hoard that card. We all collect for different reasons. A lot of things come into play.

Stay connected, too. The more people know what you need the more they will look out for you. I had several people reaching out to me here once they found out that knew I was looking for specific cards. It might feel mundane putting out the same requests on the B/S/T, but keep at it.

Best of luck.

drcy
01-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Black light identifies alterations in that added material (such as in restoration) will often fluoresce differently under black light. It's very effective for large items such as posters and paintings, but likely less effective for small items like cards because they are small.

It's used to identify modern reprints and forgeries of paper items, because modern paper often fluoresces very brightly due to chemicals added to Post WWII paper. One key is you can identify a modern fake even when you are unfamiliar with the genre (fine art, Civil war memorabilia, silent movie programs), because you can tell the paper is too modern. You may know nothing about WWI history or memorabilia but can identify a modern reprint of a WWI pamphlet or poster with your $9 black light.

Black lights actually test the atomic makeup of the material-- the frequency and intensity of the light given back is determined at the atomic level. It's just that colors and intensity are simple to interpret by anyone. You don't have to be a nuclear physicist to know that modern paper will often fluoresce brightly or that genuine antique vaseline glass is supposed to fluoresce bright yellow green.

Another big thing to look at is gloss. Added materials and reprints will usually have a different gloss and authentic gloss is one of the hardest things to reproduce. Some forgers will try to mask alterations (such as to make rare variations) by 'varnishing' the entire area, but the varnish will make the entire card different in gloss than the other cards in the issue. And if you're adding materials, such as glossing the entire card, you're also going to be simultaneously changing the black light fluorescence.

This is why it's recommended to remove a raw card from a penny sleeve or top loader before purchase. Because even a penny sleeve can hide and alterations that will be noticed when the card is held at a sharp angle to raking light. Holding the card at an angle you will often be able to see any added coloring or materials. You can often see black pen marks on a 1971 Topps upon close inspection, but they may be hidden when in an album or holder.

Major alterations to large items, such as posters and paintings, are usually easy to identify, often including just by the naked eye. Holding an item up to a bright light (the 'see through' test) will reveal many alterations, including added ink or paint. It's a good way to identify reprints, when comparing it to a known genuine card.

Infrared viewers are also used to identify alterations-- infrared is a different frequency of light than ultraviolet (black light), so you get a different viewpoint. But a black light is usually more than enough for collectors and I think much more useful. I don't think anyone on this board needs to go out an get an infrared viewer.

Most 'forensic light' examinations are giving you looks at an item that the naked eye can't see. IR and ultraviolet tests look at an item in lights invisible to human eyes, and microscopes give you enlarged views you can't see with naked eyes. Gloss, which actually is a sophisticated if simple test, is something the naked eye can see, it's just that collectors have to reminded to look at it. Taking a card out of a holder and looking at it at a sharp angle is done with the naked eyes.

midmo
01-11-2016, 12:57 PM
http://www.collectingbrooklyn.com/net54/dot.jpg

ALR-bishop
01-11-2016, 01:19 PM
When outbid I tend to think, thank goodness some idiot outbid me on that and saved me all that money

Stetson_1883
01-11-2016, 02:32 PM
As a very low budget collector, it's taken me a long time to realize that I can't compete with the very wealthy collectors. Since I'm not a big player in the hobby, these guys really don't communicate with me. I don't take it personally, It's just the way it is. I just try to enjoy the hobby the best I can.

This is one of the hobbies where money is a huge factor. Other hobbies like playing sports, computer gaming, fishing, hunting, camping, sailing, photography, etc,... are more about technique and/or skill rather than money.

You may wanna change your handle buddy.

Centauri
01-11-2016, 02:58 PM
My 2 cents -

I try to focus on what I have rather than what I don't have. I've been collecting off and on for 30 years. The sum value of my collection isn't worth a single midgrade 52 Mantle, much less a nice one. But I really love a lot of the stuff I have. For instance I got a sweet game used Carlos Baerga bat. Maybe worth $50 bucks, but it is a real eye-opener on my wall to friends and family who see it. I also recently opened a pack of 89 upper deck, and got my first Griffey! Easily worth 10 bucks, but made my week.

Someday I'll get a nice Ty Cobb. or Ruth. But I really like my 59 Duke Snider.

benchod
01-11-2016, 03:29 PM

And you probably need a time out from the board

Runscott
01-11-2016, 03:39 PM
As a kid I thought it was great when I ran across other kids who had tons more of something cool than I could ever hope to have (more cards, more comics, better bike). Generally I traded with them and got some of their stuff. I honestly don't remember ever being envious or jealous. As an adult it happens more, but it has to do with 'keeping up with the Joneses' and your perception of how others perceive your worth;i.e-are other adults laughing at me for being a f*ck up? As a kid none of that mattered.

Runscott
01-11-2016, 03:41 PM

I would vote for a world-wide time-out from internet discussion forums - maybe a month or so. I bet we would all come back a little nicer.

01-11-2016, 04:17 PM

+1 That was totally uncalled for.

Laxcat
01-11-2016, 05:09 PM
After re-reading, I believe I have found the offending card. I'm am not the most guilty of collecting this particular piece of cardboard, but I admit, I do my part.

Behold the subject that is behind this thread.

vintagebaseballcardguy
01-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Josh, I really enjoy collecting. It is a great release for me, and I love the nostalgia. I have always been a postwar guy, but I am really thinking (for a second time) about going the T206 route. No matter what "thing" we are talking about in life, we are always going to run across people who have more than us and people who have less than us. Like others have already stated, I have found it important to enjoy and appreciate what I do have. I won't tell you that I haven't caught myself eyeballing something out of my reach from time to time or getting frustrated at not getting a card that I want, however, I quickly slide back into my own projects and move on. At the end of the day, I feel fortunate to be in a position to be a collector at all when I consider how desperate the lives of some people are.

vintagebaseballcardguy
01-11-2016, 05:12 PM
After re-reading, I believe I have found the offending card. I'm am not the most guilty of collecting this particular piece of cardboard, but I admit, I do my part.

Great stuff, Matt! Someday, I want to post something like that.

Laxcat
01-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Great stuff, Matt! Someday, I want to post something like that.

Thanks. The great board members here have helped me out. That's why I love this place.

vintagebaseballcardguy
01-11-2016, 05:17 PM
You are welcome. I agree, I love this place as well. Hope to make some purchases from some fellow board members this year as I wade into T206. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Joshchisox08
01-11-2016, 05:20 PM

Bahahha jealous? Yes, guilty as charged!!!

Reason behind the thread not so much. Just in general it drives me nuts I'd love to own just one of those king Cobbies!!!

It goes for, all the high end T206s. WAJO would be another that comes to mind not as expensive but I'd just love to own one and when I see those with more than 1 I feel discouraged.

Realistically speaking I'd love to and hope to achieve the 500 mark someday!

My most desired cards are the ones that's tough to swallow when I'd just like to own a "decent" example. Again I'm not sure how to say it without sounding like an a-hole. Jelousy is a hard thing to overcome with such great collectors and collections out there!

But I did figure I can't possibly be the only one and figured it'd make a great discussion. We're over 30 posts now so I guess I was right! It got some ppl talking and some lurkers as well!

ls7plus
01-11-2016, 05:20 PM

+1 there. Plus, if you're interested in obtaining quite valuable cards, there are basically two ways to do so. You can have more money than you know that to do with and be on "the trailing edge" of the market, so to speak, buying such cards as the '52 Topps Mantle for $400,000 in PSA 8, just because you can, and want the best available, or you can try to be on "the cutting edge," going outside the box, pursuing cards that are rare to extremely rare, yet currently very quiet in the marketplace. You just have to think outside the box, focusing primarily upon rarity, significance and the best condition you can find or afford.

I remember when the 1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth came out of the chute in the Copeland auction, circa 1991 (?), and went for $6,000. The majority of us were thinking along the lines of "what in the world is that, and why would anyone pay six grand for one?" The buyer was on the cutting edge, rather than the trailing edge (can you say $694,000 for one graded poor to fair now?), whether he knew it or not. Go back twenty years via a reputable price guide and you will find T 210 Joe Jackson's valued in the low four figure range, rather than six, and E107 Youngs and Wagners similarily priced.

John J. Pittman adopted this as his philosophy in coins. A chemical engineer with Eastman Kodak, he was never able to afford the mega-priced "trophy" coins of his time, so instead focused upon the rare and significant in the highest grade possible in quiet areas of collecting that were within his price range. After five to six decades, he had amassed a collection which brought about $40 million collectively in several auctions following his death.

Best of luck,

Larry

ullmandds
01-11-2016, 05:21 PM
what some newbies may not realize is that some of us have been collecting vintage for decades. Some Cards purchased decades ago have appreciated to the point where selling can fund other "big" purchases.

I never spent more than $40 on a card...vintage or modern until the early 2000's.

Just collect what you like and want...and don't worry about others.

ullmandds
01-11-2016, 05:22 PM
+1 there. Plus, if you're interested in obtaining quite valuable cards, there are basically two ways to do so. You can have more money than you know that to do with and be on "the trailing edge" of the market, so to speak, buying such cards as the '52 Topps Mantle for $400,000 in PSA 8, just because you can, and want the best available, or you can try to be on "the cutting edge," going outside the box, pursuing cards that are rare to extremely rare, yet currently very quiet in the marketplace. You just have to think outside the box, focusing primarily upon rarity, significance and the best condition you can find or afford.

I remember when the 1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth came out of the chute in the Copeland auction, circa 1991 (?), and went for $6,000. The majority of us were thinking along the lines of "what in the world is that, and why would anyone pay six grand for one?" The buyer was on the cutting edge, rather than the trailing edge (can you say $694,000 for one graded poor to fair now?), whether he knew it or not. Go back twenty years via a reputable price guide and you will find T 210 Joe Jackson's valued in the low four figure range, rather than six, and E107 Youngs and Wagners similarily priced.

Best of luck,

Larry

good advice!

Joshchisox08
01-11-2016, 05:24 PM
I'm a pretty small fish as well, Josh. You just have to pick and choose your spots and as someone else said, it's not personal.

Keep everything in perspective and remember that everything is relative. For as many high-rollers as you are envious of, there are even more collectors who would kill to have the 250 or so T206s you do.

Best of luck.

Great point and sometimes as much as I've accomplished it's hard to stay humble. But you're right. As I stated above the goal is 500 someday! I think it's obtainable, well hopefully.

Through few interactions you seem like a stand up dude!
Contacts I've got a few! Can't praise Scott and Luke enough! They've given me great insight and just all in all good guys to talk to.

Joshchisox08
01-11-2016, 05:26 PM
what some newbies may not realize is that some of us have been collecting vintage for decades. Some Cards purchased decades ago have appreciated to the point where selling can fund other "big" purchases.

I never spent more than $40 on a card...vintage or modern until the early 2000's.

Just collect what you like and want...and don't worry about others.

:eek::eek::eek:

Man dare I say I wish I were older haha.

ullmandds
01-11-2016, 05:30 PM
id trade away my collection to be 28 again!!!!

Eric72
01-11-2016, 06:13 PM

A huge +1 to this.

bnorth
01-11-2016, 06:23 PM

A huge +1 to this.

Maybe 28 at the youngest. Especially if your 28yr old brain has to come with. Now if you could keep the life experiences you have and be younger WOW would 21 be great.

xplainer
01-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Maybe 28 at the youngest. Especially if your 28yr old brain has to come with. Now if you could keep the life experiences you have and be younger WOW would 21 be great.

Exactly my thought. I'd hate to go through all that again.

My input: Shop around. Don't be impulsive.

This past weekend, I wanted to upgrade my 1914 Polo Grounds Jimmy Lavender. None here, so off to ebay. There I found a PSA 6 for around $65 plus shipping. Almost pounced, but pressed on. Wrote it on a notepad.

I kept on looking, and in the end, I got a PSA 8 for under 50, dlvd.

-Jimmy

tedzan
01-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Save your collection, and forget "28" :)

The 30's....40's....50's were my best years.

Seriously, though, most of us "dinosaurs" who have tons of cardboard on display in this forum should not be envied by anyone.
When you younger dudes get to be our age, you too will have formidable collections.

Just be thankful that some of us here are willing to share with you our 30 - 40 years of tremendous experiences in this hobby.

T-Rex TED

JustinD
01-11-2016, 06:46 PM
I think it's perspective and patience.

I don't buy half of the extra stuff I used to toss in a drawer any more just to have it. I bought a red cobby in October and love it. Gave up some of the extra purchases for a bit, opened a paypal acct that lets you pay no interest for 6 months and grabbed a beaut for around 1300.

Had it paid off with my next bonus and now looking for a ruth or gehrig. Budget your cash and set a goal and I think you can have the reasonable items. Lots of things come up I won't have, but I have never let it get me down. Actually, I have, but only when I didn't pull the trigger out of fear when I could have had it if I had a plan.

Not sure if what you spend monthly, but if it is 100 to 200 on assorted stuff. Pause it and get your Cobb. You'll be way prouder of the success than a pile of 35-40 dollar cards.

ullmandds
01-11-2016, 07:09 PM

well of course i can return with my wisdom!!!!!! otherwise there'd be no point!!!!

tschock
01-12-2016, 07:40 AM
well of course i can return with my wisdom!!!!!! otherwise there'd be no point!!!!

How does that Shaw quote go? "Youth is wasted on the young"? ;)

conor912
01-12-2016, 10:59 AM
The way I see it is, yes, my collection is measly compared some others, but there are also plenty of collectors who would kill to have what I have. One of the best pieces of general advice I ever got was "live an enviable life". What I take that to mean is don't worry about what you don't have, but love and be happy with what you do have, because believe it or not, a lot of people don't. There will always be someone with a better collection, a nicer house and a hotter wife. As stated before, trying to keep up with Jones' will eat you up from the inside out.

Snapolit1
01-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Sage advice. I know people who make truly crazy money, investment banker types, and many of them are envious of the one or two people they know in town who make more than them. Crazy stuff. Be ambitious, but be happy with what you have and life will go a hell of a lot easier. Always always people with more than you have.

autograf
01-12-2016, 12:01 PM
I think most everyone feels that way at some point or some level. Some people feel that way about other people's house or car or whatever it is. Being happy at whatever level you are at is what's the key.

And I don't completely agree with the sentiment that people at that lofty level don't appreciate what they have. I know some VERY well-heeled people who are just as happy to get something at that level as someone else who gets a VG common for their 1970 set to finish it out. They just work on a different level. Some are huge collectors who do it for the love of it.

Jobu
01-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Another point to be made is that you shouldn't let missing out on a deal eat you up (I used to do this). There will always be another good price in the future, especially if you are diligent.

mybuddyinc
01-12-2016, 12:48 PM
"It's all relative."
"One man's trash is another man's treasure."
"Keeping up with the Jones'."
"Eat your damn Brussels Sports, there are people starving in Africa."
"Money can't buy you happiness."
"Green with envy."

etc, etc, etc, :o

That's the game of life, and pieces of card broad.

If you (not only Josh, but anyone else) had $20,000 on hand, you could have a 520 T206 set tomorrow. What fun would that be ???? :confused:

To paraphrase Dorothy in Wizard of Oz: "If you can't find your life's desires in your own back yard, you're not looking hard enough."

Fun, fun, Scott :rolleyes:

Luke
01-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Great post Josh. I think we've all felt that way in some situation or another, and like you say it isn't the easiest thing to admit. There's a lot of great advice in here. I pretty much agree with everything that has already been said.

This next thought isn't really aimed at you, just something I've been thinking about recently. I think a lot of times when people are envious of the things that other people have, they really have a deeper problem. Let's take for example the guy who wants a big house, fancy car, and supermodel wife. It's easy to look around and find guys who have all three, and better than our example guy could ever have. He is likely to be very bitter and jealous, not just because he'll never reach the place he most wants to be, but because his wants are not really aligned with his needs.

It's important to make sure that the things we want will really make us happy. I'm sure we all know a guy who works way too many hours, eats bad food, and doesn't get to see his family nearly enough. But they live in a huge house, and they have a cabin by a lake somewhere. When we focus on the wrong wants, we have no hope of happiness. Obviously that's a little deep, when we are just talking about baseball cards, but I think it applies.

In terms of cards, make sure your current goal still feels right. You have a lot of equity built up in your set, and you could put in to use in a number of different ways. You know I am a big proponent of taking a few small steps back in order to make a big step forward.

You can stay the course if that feels right, or you could decide to list a bunch of commons for sale this weekend and you could buy a nice red Cobb by the end of the week.

As long as the way you collect makes you happy, there's no wrong way to approach it.

Stampsfan
01-12-2016, 03:15 PM
OK, I read this with great joy, and I need to jump in. What a great topic, moreso on life and not necessarily cards. The last post made me want to reply.

I am an IT guy, divorced for many years with two daughters. They don't remember us together. I was on the track to be CIO for a multi thousand person organization. I quit at 30 to go independent. People thought I was crazy, including my then boss.

I took two summers off to be with my girls when they were young, as a single dad. I coached them in hockey and soccer for years. Taught them to golf. Spent lots of time with them, and got to also play hockey and soccer with the old guys. Still play hockey a couple of times a week, and I'm nearly 60. I never had a meeting called at noon on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Do I have a '52 Mantle? No. I have a nice collection, lots of hockey and football mostly. Some would love my collection, and others would look at it as pithy. And my daughters come by and we play cards, go to football games, golf together, ride a bike, go to card shows, and now grab a beer and wings together. I look at it as a pretty cool win for me. I'm healthy enough to walk 18 holes and carry, and break 80 a few times a year.

Am I rich? You bet... in values and life. I'm still working. My youngest just landed today in Australia at noon my time. Taking 3 months to explore the world. I never had that opportunity, and I'm damn proud that she does. Not jealous, happy for her. Someone always has more. My financially richer friends are jealous of the fact my kids have always been OK to hang with their dad, and still do.

"Happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have"

Life is good. And one day I may even have a '52 Mantle.

ls7plus
01-12-2016, 03:22 PM

Interesting proposition, Pete--I would personally have to take some time to consider that!

All the best,

Larry

ls7plus
01-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Save your collection, and forget "28" :)

The 30's....40's....50's were my best years.

Seriously, though, most of us "dinosaurs" who have tons of cardboard on display in this forum should not be envied by anyone.
When you younger dudes get to be our age, you too will have formidable collections.

Just be thankful that some of us here are willing to share with you our 30 - 40 years of tremendous experiences in this hobby.

T-Rex TED

Ted's absolutely right about that. Perseverance does that for you!

Regards,

Larry

ls7plus
01-12-2016, 03:25 PM
How does that Shaw quote go? "Youth is wasted on the young"? ;)

Also too soon we get old; too late we get smart!

Best to all,

Larry

ls7plus
01-12-2016, 03:28 PM
The way I see it is, yes, my collection is measly compared some others, but there are also plenty of collectors who would kill to have what I have. One of the best pieces of general advice I ever got was "live an enviable life". What I take that to mean is don't worry about what you don't have, but love and be happy with what you do have, because believe it or not, a lot of people don't. There will always be someone with a better collection, a nicer house and a hotter wife. As stated before, trying to keep up with Jones' will eat you up from the inside out.

Truly a great philosophy, Conor, one embraced by the recent movie, "The Longest Ride," with Scott Eastwood and Alan Alda. Often easier said than done, but truly worth striving for!

May your collecting bring you joy,

Larry

nsaddict
01-12-2016, 03:30 PM
I apologize for getting off track but thought the member that posted comment #26 should be banned for that racist remark. No room for that bs period! Perhaps Leon hasn't noticed it? I applaud the few collectors that mentioned the bigot's comment!

ls7plus
01-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Another point to be made is that you shouldn't let missing out on a deal eat you up (I used to do this). There will always be another good price in the future, especially if you are diligent.

Lot's of good advice here. Diligence and perseverance pay off, and it doesn't do any good to let bad feelings swallow you up.

Highest regards,

Larry

xplainer
01-12-2016, 05:07 PM
I apologize for getting off track but thought the member that posted comment #26 should be banned for that racist remark. No room for that bs period! Perhaps Leon hasn't noticed it? I applaud the few collectors that mentioned the bigot's comment!

Sorry, but I saw it as a joke. In bad taste, maybe. But don't label the guy a racist bigot on one comment. Just my opinon.

Jewish-collector
01-12-2016, 06:10 PM
That comment didn't bother me, but thanks for all the support.

deltaarnet
01-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Black light identifies alterations in that added material (such as in restoration) will often fluoresce differently under black light. It's very effective for large items such as posters and paintings, but likely less effective for small items like cards because they are small.

It's used to identify modern reprints and forgeries of paper items, because modern paper often fluoresces very brightly due to chemicals added to Post WWII paper. One key is you can identify a modern fake even when you are unfamiliar with the genre (fine art, Civil war memorabilia, silent movie programs), because you can tell the paper is too modern. You may know nothing about WWI history or memorabilia but can identify a modern reprint of a WWI pamphlet or poster with your $9 black light.

Black lights actually test the atomic makeup of the material-- the frequency and intensity of the light given back is determined at the atomic level. It's just that colors and intensity are simple to interpret by anyone. You don't have to be a nuclear physicist to know that modern paper will often fluoresce brightly or that genuine antique vaseline glass is supposed to fluoresce bright yellow green.

Another big thing to look at is gloss. Added materials and reprints will usually have a different gloss and authentic gloss is one of the hardest things to reproduce. Some forgers will try to mask alterations (such as to make rare variations) by 'varnishing' the entire area, but the varnish will make the entire card different in gloss than the other cards in the issue. And if you're adding materials, such as glossing the entire card, you're also going to be simultaneously changing the black light fluorescence.

This is why it's recommended to remove a raw card from a penny sleeve or top loader before purchase. Because even a penny sleeve can hide and alterations that will be noticed when the card is held at a sharp angle to raking light. Holding the card at an angle you will often be able to see any added coloring or materials. You can often see black pen marks on a 1971 Topps upon close inspection, but they may be hidden when in an album or holder.

Major alterations to large items, such as posters and paintings, are usually easy to identify, often including just by the naked eye. Holding an item up to a bright light (the 'see through' test) will reveal many alterations, including added ink or paint. It's a good way to identify reprints, when comparing it to a known genuine card.

Infrared viewers are also used to identify alterations-- infrared is a different frequency of light than ultraviolet (black light), so you get a different viewpoint. But a black light is usually more than enough for collectors and I think much more useful. I don't think anyone on this board needs to go out an get an infrared viewer.

Most 'forensic light' examinations are giving you looks at an item that the naked eye can't see. IR and ultraviolet tests look at an item in lights invisible to human eyes, and microscopes give you enlarged views you can't see with naked eyes. Gloss, which actually is a sophisticated if simple test, is something the naked eye can see, it's just that collectors have to reminded to look at it. Taking a card out of a holder and looking at it at a sharp angle is done with the naked eyes.

Thank you for the information.

xplainer
01-12-2016, 06:43 PM
That comment didn't bother me, but thanks for all the support.

Thanks for your comment. I'm sure it wasn't meant as some took it. It was a joke about your username.

All I have to do is say "I can't explain that". Then I get the same.

I tip my cap to you sir (yeah, over used). :eek:

Joshchisox08
01-13-2016, 08:33 AM
OK, I read this with great joy, and I need to jump in. What a great topic, moreso on life and not necessarily cards. The last post made me want to reply.

I am an IT guy, divorced for many years with two daughters. They don't remember us together. I was on the track to be CIO for a multi thousand person organization. I quit at 30 to go independent. People thought I was crazy, including my then boss.

I took two summers off to be with my girls when they were young, as a single dad. I coached them in hockey and soccer for years. Taught them to golf. Spent lots of time with them, and got to also play hockey and soccer with the old guys. Still play hockey a couple of times a week, and I'm nearly 60. I never had a meeting called at noon on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Do I have a '52 Mantle? No. I have a nice collection, lots of hockey and football mostly. Some would love my collection, and others would look at it as pithy. And my daughters come by and we play cards, go to football games, golf together, ride a bike, go to card shows, and now grab a beer and wings together. I look at it as a pretty cool win for me. I'm healthy enough to walk 18 holes and carry, and break 80 a few times a year.

Am I rich? You bet... in values and life. I'm still working. My youngest just landed today in Australia at noon my time. Taking 3 months to explore the world. I never had that opportunity, and I'm damn proud that she does. Not jealous, happy for her. Someone always has more. My financially richer friends are jealous of the fact my kids have always been OK to hang with their dad, and still do.

My my has this gotten deep haha. I hear you on that post. Nothings better than being with my son (when I have him that is). Nothing can come close to it.

He's still too young to understand or play sports or really have his own independent likes other than dinosaurs, cars, Toy Story (I used to like that movie used to). I think and have thought ever since he was born that the greatest gift in life is your child(ren).

In a way part of my collecting is filling the void when he's not with me and a BIG portion is I love it and researching the history. I do know one day that I will be able to get the cards I desire. I know that patience is a virtue. However patience is a thing this 29 year old has yet to master!

In fact the only thing I'm truly patient with is my son. My father has told me that I have a lot more patience than he had (though he had 4) but I took that as a big compliment and hadn't really even noticed or thought about it when I'm with him.

Good stuff everyone! Sound advice.

Jeff_cvc
01-13-2016, 10:11 AM

If this is in reference to a stereotype that all Jewish people have money... Kindly f**k off. That's pretty ignorant, anti-Semitic and plain stupid thing to say. If I am misinterpreting what your intention behind that statement is, I apologize and please fill me in on what I'm missing.

cammb
01-13-2016, 10:12 AM
When outbid I tend to think, thank goodness some idiot outbid me on that and saved me all that money

+1

Laxcat
01-13-2016, 10:19 AM
If this is in reference to a stereotype that all Jewish people have money... Kindly f**k off. That's pretty ignorant, anti-Semitic and plain stupid thing to say. If I am misinterpreting what your intention behind that statement is, I apologize and please fill me in on what I'm missing.

I originally read it another way. After reading again; Yikes. Even if it wasn't meant as it sounds, completely tactless.

cammb
01-13-2016, 10:23 AM

How was that remark racist? Maybe bigoted but not racist. Learn the difference.

Laxcat
01-13-2016, 10:32 AM
I think you have hostility problems. I was agreeing with you and now you are attacking me. I know the difference. But to now play Devil's Advocate: do we know the his lineage? Perhaps it was made off the cuff. Online interactions lack any sort of tone.

cammb
01-13-2016, 10:47 AM
I wasn't attacking you I commented on the quote.

Leon
01-13-2016, 11:47 AM
It was noticed, PM'd about, and taken this way by me. Sometimes letting folks say things is better in the long run. Other collectors get to see the way other collectors are. Of course if anything gets too crazy then we deal with it.

And as someone who just sold a decent type collection with lots of rare cards..... Someone will always have a bigger one, or more of one, than I.....so who cares? Be happy we can collect and be on the net and hang with friends on a chat board.....

Sorry, but I saw it as a joke. In bad taste, maybe. But don't label the guy a racist bigot on one comment. Just my opinon.

Joshwesley
01-13-2016, 12:12 PM

John J. Pittman adopted this as his philosophy in coins. A chemical engineer with Eastman Kodak, he was never able to afford the mega-priced "trophy" coins of his time, so instead focused upon the rare and significant in the highest grade possible in quiet areas of collecting that were within his price range. After five to six decades, he had amassed a collection which brought about $40 million collectively in several auctions following his death.

Best of luck,

Larry

Incredible....

What's the next card to go up in value like the Ruth of the Mantle.... or has everything basically topped out?
If you had 10k to spend right now and were for-casting a card that would potentially sky rocket 20-30 years from now what would that be...

Just for fun. lol

conor912
01-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Incredible....

What's the next card to go up in value like the Ruth of the Mantle.... or has everything basically topped out?
If you had 10k to spend right now and were for-casting a card that would potentially sky rocket 20-30 years from now what would that be...

Just for fun. lol

Probably a question for it's own thread, but it's hard to even speculate. I'd say Ruth and Mantle are unquestionably #'s 1 and 2 in terms of popularity. Number three is less clear. A case could be made for Cobb, I suppose. The next one may very well be specific issue-based than player based, but, that said, what the hell do I know? :)

MR RAREBACK
01-13-2016, 04:32 PM
lets start the thread :)

Exhibitman
01-13-2016, 04:51 PM
Interesting posts, folks.

About 15 years ago I got frustrated with the escalating price of participation on the baseball side of the hobby and I more or less quit for other cards. That was stupid and smart all at once. Stupid in the sense that there is a great deal of alternative material out there and there is no reason why money should keep you from pursuing a baseball card collection. If the item you are seeking has soared past your budget, move on to something else. Maybe I can't afford a career-issued Ruth card but maybe I can afford an Exhibit or PC or team issue or premium. Or maybe I have to downgrade my expectations to a lower condition card. Just throwing up my hands in frustration because a RC had soared out of reach, as I did, was not helpful. At the same time, my sabbatical from baseball collecting was also smart in the sense that I found out that I enjoy other forms of card collecting too. When I came back to baseball cards it was with a richer appreciation of the hobby as well as a better understanding of what I enjoy and dislike about it.

1880nonsports
01-13-2016, 05:11 PM
it's good to hit the pause or refresh button once in a while.....

Joshchisox08
01-13-2016, 05:24 PM

About 15 years ago I got frustrated with the escalating price of participation on the baseball side of the hobby and I more or less quit for other cards. That was stupid and smart all at once. Stupid in the sense that there is a great deal of alternative material out there and there is no reason why money should keep you from pursuing a baseball card collection. If the item you are seeking has soared past your budget, move on to something else. Maybe I can't afford a career-issued Ruth card but maybe I can afford an Exhibit or PC or team issue or premium. Or maybe I have to downgrade my expectations to a lower condition card. Just throwing up my hands in frustration because a RC had soared out of reach, as I did, was not helpful. At the same time, my sabbatical from baseball collecting was also smart in the sense that I found out that I enjoy other forms of card collecting too. When I came back to baseball cards it was with a richer appreciation of the hobby as well as a better understanding of what I enjoy and dislike about it.

Haha, well put Adam the money is passed my budget but only because of leaching succubus whom has no honor, morals, or concern for her son's well being.

Otherwise not only would I have some of my more desired cards but I'd have the most desired thing in life (my son).

01-13-2016, 07:46 PM

Excellent post, Adam.

The Nasty Nati
01-13-2016, 11:32 PM
Am I the only won that won Powerball last night?

ullmandds
01-14-2016, 09:25 AM
The truth of the matter as many have intimated ... Is that almost anyone can afford a period card of just about any player they want... As long as they are willing to gravitate towards more obscure issues in lesser condition.

Almost anyone can afford a shonen, sanella ruth...a t201 cobb...early berk ross/bowman(53-54) mantle. Ultimately many of these cards are more rare than there are more popular mainstream counterparts and could potential he be good investments over the long-haul .

aljurgela
01-16-2016, 09:39 AM

You are rich indeed... fantastic perspective! Love this!

Republicaninmass
01-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Otherwise not only would I have some of my more desired cards but I'd have the most desired thing in life (my son).

I'll see if I echo that sentiment April when mine is due! I'm also anticipating a break from the hobby at this time!

brian1961
01-16-2016, 01:52 PM

BOB DAVIES--- I LOVED YOUR POST. EXTREMELY MEANINGFUL. REALLY, MOST OF THE POSTS, ASIDE FROM THE POOR "HUMOROUS" COMMENT ABOUT OUR BROTHER'S MONIKER, HAVE BEEN HEARTFELT AND THOUGHT-PROVOKING.

MY SON NEVER WAS INTERESTED IN COLLECTING CARDS OF ANY KIND. THAT WAS FINE. HIS PASSION BEGAN AT 5 AS HE STOOD, TRANSFIXED, IN FRONT OF A SAM'S CLUB VIDEO GAME CONSOLE THAT A LINE OF PEOPLE ANXIOUSLY AWAITED TO TRY. MY TINY SON DECIDED TO JOIN THE LINE. HE THOROUGHLY LOVED HIS FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG".

IN TIME HIS MOTHER AND I GOT HIM HIS FIRST SEGA GENESIS SYSTEM, AND I USED MY COLLECTING SKILLS TO HELP HIM BUILD A SONIC THE HEDGHOG AND FRIENDS COLLECTION THAT'S NOW HOUSED INTO TWO LARGE DISPLAY CASES. We helped him get to the supermarket in time to get the latest Sonic comic; he now has 100s, and ceased collecting those last year when he grew tired of the current issue that had become four issues due to the variant covers.

HE STILL LOVES GAMING, AND ENJOYS SELECTED ANIMES, PLUS WE SHARE A LOVE FOR WATCHING ALL THE BOND MOVIES, 3 STOOGES, LAUREL & HARDY, ABBOTT & COSTELLO, DISNEY'S ZORRO, POIROT, JEREMY BRETT AS SHERLOCK HOLMES, ETC.

I SUPPOSE BECAUSE I LET HIM FIND HIS OWN PASSIONS, WE STILL FOUND PLENTY TO SHARE AND ENJOY TOGETHER. WE'RE EXTREMELY CLOSE.

HE'S PATIENTLY LISTENED TO ME TALK ABOUT MY FORTHCOMING BOOK ON POST-WAR REGIONALS. HE MARVELS OVER SOME OF MY STORIES ABOUT STAHL-MEYER FRANKS AND POST CEREAL.

GETTING BACK TO THE INITIAL MESSAGE, I ALSO WENT LOOKING FOR THE SCARCE, RARE, EXOTIC, AND BEAUTIFULLY EYE-APPEALING CARDS AND COINS THAT WERE SLIGHTLY OFF THE BEATEN PATH. MOST OF MY COLLECTION I HAD ALREADY SOLD A LITTLE LESS THAN 30 YEARS AGO, FOR A FEW REASONS AND KNEW, PAINFULLY, I WOULD NOT GET THEM BACK. STILL, I HELD ON TO SEVERAL CHOICE ITEMS, A REMNANT SO TO SPEAK, AND A FEW YEARS AGO FOUND I ENJOYED WRITING ABOUT THE CARDS AND SPORT COINS. I LOVED RELATING STORIES OF WHAT IT WAS LIKE TO HAVE COLLECTED THEM FROM 1961 TO 1973, WHEN I QUIT COLLECTING MODERN CARDS. I HAD ALWAYS BEEN ENTHRALLED WITH THE SEA STORIES OF OTHERS WHO HAD RAVENOUSLY PURSUED THESE "FREE" PRIZES BACK IN THE DAY, AND DOCUMENTED THEM, AS A GOOD RESEARCHER WHO HAD MINORED IN JOURNALISM WOULD DO.

NOWADAYS, WITH MY BUDGET, I DECIDED IF I WANTED A TY, A BABE, A LOU, A MICKEY, OR A ROGER, I WOULD CAREFULLY, PATIENTLY SELECT SOMETHING MODERN THAT I FOUND VERY WELL-DESIGNED AND EYE-APPEALING. I LOVE PERIOD CARDS, BUT IN THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX ONCE AGAIN, I'VE COME UP WITH SOME DUESIES THAT USE A FABULOUS PERIOD PHOTO WITH A CREATIVE DESIGN RENDERED IN GOOD TASTE. LOTS OF HITS AND MISSES TODAY, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

AS SOMEONE WHO AT LEAST OWNED A 52 TOPPS MICKEY MANTLE FOR 24 YEARS, I GREATLY APPRECIATED THE CARD. HOWEVER, LIFE HAPPENS AND VALUES MUST BE HONORED TO DO THE RIGHT THING, AND I SUPPOSE TO ALSO AVOID SELF-CONDEMNATION AND SHAME FROM FAMILY AND MYSELF.:o

BEST REGARDS, BRIAN POWELL