PDA

View Full Version : Grading Question

coolshemp
01-11-2016, 07:24 AM
I have a quick question. A seller sent me a scan of the back of the card that he had for sale, and it had a number written on it in pencil. So I wrote back and asked if he had another one, with no pencil writing. He sent back another scan, of obviously the same card, without the writing there. So, he erased it. Now, as I needed this card graded by SGC, I know the writing would have meant a low grade. But would an erasure be worse? Altered? Any ideas?

Leon
01-11-2016, 07:47 AM
If a TPG notes an erasure (usually through ruts from the mark after it's erased) it will count the same as a mark. No more no less, from what I have seen. I have had good luck erasing very light marks and having them be undetectable. Other heavy marks not so much...

ullmandds
01-11-2016, 07:53 AM
So I wrote back and asked if he had another one, with no pencil writing. He sent back another scan, of obviously the same card, without the writing there. So, he erased it!

Thats funny!

coolshemp
01-11-2016, 07:57 AM
I may just go for it and let you all know what happened!

Leon
01-11-2016, 08:23 AM
So I wrote back and asked if he had another one, with no pencil writing. He sent back another scan, of obviously the same card, without the writing there. So, he erased it!

Thats funny!

If it was very light and under magnification and the erasure can't be seen, then who cares? However, many if not most erasure marks will be detected. Transparency in these cases is key. I remember selling a great looking Comisky OJ to JimB (RIP) and told him I had erased a mark on back that the graders couldn't see anymore. He was cool with it and happy. I told him up front though....

Stonepony
01-11-2016, 09:15 AM

Thats funny!

It's really funny!!