PDA

View Full Version : Victory Tobacco Cards on eBay - well, they were...

asphaltman
01-10-2016, 06:40 AM
Does anybody know if this seller is on the board? Was excited to see these pop up yesterday - he had Victory Tobacco Lajoie and Chase, a Kotton Cobb and others. Then of course all are taken off eBay. Not sure if he got some grand offer for all or decided to remove and get them graded.... don't know what chance I would have had at the T214's...but would have liked to have tried...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-VICTORY-TOBACCO-T214-NAP-LAJOIE-PHILA-AMER-NM-BV-5000-VERY-RARE-CARD-/351624896382?hash=item51de7a1f7e%3Ag%3AsUkAAOSwoyd WkIqv&nma=true&si=8%252BbZd3BvE3ewvxzkTaHvWV938rk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

buymycards
01-10-2016, 07:05 AM
He had 8 Kotton's and 2 Victory's. They all show up in his completed listings, with no bids. These cards would have gone through the roof. I believe I bought a card or two from him a few years ago, but I don't recall his name. He owns a card shop in New Orleans, and if I remember correctly, I bought a couple of Holsum's from him.

I do a search for "Kotton" a couple times a day, but these were listed and gone very quickly. I hope he is a board member and he gives us some insight into what happened with these listings.

Stonepony
01-10-2016, 07:45 AM
I saw a Kotton Mathewson (very rough condition), 15 seconds later couldn't find it. I though it had bids on it and was at $70, then it disappeared

gabrinus
01-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Bought a few Kottons, General Bakings, and a Mother's Bread Mathewson on ebay from him back in late '90s and early 2000s....I have a sneaking suspicion that the Tango Cobb might have come from him but I asked him about it a few years ago and he didn't really say yes or no....makes sense he would have some Victory cards as well.....nice guy from what I remember.....Jerry

asphaltman
01-10-2016, 08:21 AM
Well it sounds to me then like he may have received a can't refuse offer on all ten cards he listed yesterday. Many of them were already between $100-500 in a couple hours and the Cobb was over $900 already. Oh well...

gabrinus
01-10-2016, 08:37 AM
I asked him about five years ago if he still had any of those Louisiana issues left and he said "sadly no" so someone may be still bringing cards like that into his shop in Metairie......there's still hope......

ullmandds
01-10-2016, 12:37 PM
This was a bummer!!!!! I had pretty good bids on all of them...and I even thought about sending the seller an offer to end early...but that's not really my style. Hopefully these will appear again soon!

ctownboy
01-10-2016, 02:41 PM
It looks like he has a telephone number in his eBay listing so why don't you call him? If I had the money to buy the cards I would.....

David

Mikehealer
01-10-2016, 03:41 PM
I bought an uncatalogued Victory from him a couple of years ago. After paying for it, but before he had shipped it, he called me and said he would give me 25% more than I had paid him for it. I passed and he shipped it the next day.
He had another buyer that would have paid more. A lot of dealers would have just refunded my money and took the other deal.

He was friendly and honest, I can't say that for everyone I've dealt with. He told me he gets Coupons, Kottons, and Victorys every now then. You just never know!