PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson PSA 9 on Ebay

BobbyD38
01-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Hello. I'm just recently getting back into the baseball card hobby after years away, and I'd like to continue building my Rickey Henderson collection. However, I'm very wary of purchasing PSA cards on Ebay after all I've heard about the cases being tampered with and subsequent fraud being committed by swapping out cards. I have heard some collectors talking about the new PSA cases, however, and they seem to have a more positive view of them, deeming them to be more tamper-proof. Has anyone heard of the brand-new PSA cases being able to be tampered with in any way? I'm trying to determine if this listing on Ebay with the new PSA case is legitimate or not. Any help and opinions offered would be appreciated. Thanks. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-482-Rickey-Henderson-Oakland-As-RC-Rookie-HOF-PSA-9-MINT-/381507251738?hash=item58d39aae1a:g:GNEAAOSwX~dWhZW 3

bnorth
01-06-2016, 08:06 AM
I would feel a lot safer buying a card in a new PSA slab than an old one. There are several PSA 9 Henderson cards in new slabs to pick from on eBay. Make sure you like the looks of the card in the slab. There is a huge difference in the cards inside the slab even in the same # grade. Good luck on your search.

ALR-bishop
01-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Just a collector here. No help on slabs. Believe cards should be in their natural state. Here is a very tough Henderson

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img283.jpg

pokerplyr80
01-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Nothing is 100%, but I would feel confident buying this card in a PSA 9 holder from a seller with good feedback on ebay. I wouldn't care if it was a new or old holder, but from what I hear it is harder to tamper with the new ones.

BobbyD38
01-07-2016, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the help. I was also thinking that the new cases would be harder to break into, and harder to counterfeit, especially since this is the brand new case with the serial number and barcode on the back as well as the front. I'm sure the criminals out there are devising some scheme to circumvent or even replicate the holograms and try to replicate the back/front technology, but since PSA just started putting the serial number and barcode on the back, as well as the front, I was kind of thinking this one would be safe.

BobbyD38
01-07-2016, 02:36 AM
P.S.--That is a very nice Henderson card shown up above, for sure. I actually have that one myself. I also would prefer cards in a raw form, but, unfortunately there are so many counterfeits out there now, I have trouble distinguishing between what's real and what's not. That's the only reason I'm considering graded cards.

ALR-bishop
01-07-2016, 07:01 AM
I have been collecting for a long time. I have little confidence in minion graders who likely know much less about the cards I collect than I do, and I have seen many bad or misidentified cards in slabs. Plus there now seems to be a growing industry in faked or forged slabs that may exceed the Christmas rack pack production for all I know

I get why if you are a seller, or a buyer and seller you need to deal with graded cards in today's market. It is just a necessary evil I am glad not to have to deal with in my own collecting.

But, if you enjoy what you collect and how you collect, it matters little what I or anyone else thinks :)

Peter_Spaeth
01-07-2016, 09:00 AM
The 52T Mantle that was pulled from Goodwin was in a new case. But that said, the odds anyone is going to go to great lengths to pull of a scam on a Henderson rookie are about nil I would think.

ALR-bishop
01-07-2016, 09:34 AM
You may be correct Peter, but between 1984 and 1991 Topps issued 12 card boxed mini sets of metal cards for dealer premiums. The cards in most years came in aluminum, bronze and silver. I have not followed them recently but in the past only the silvers sold for much. Most years had one of the players also issued in pewter as well. Again, not much of a premium. But someone was forging all the cards in pewter and selling them on eBay. Why, I have no idea.

I would not be at at all surprised if Henderson rookie fakes exist. Someone has definitely created a lot of fake 1991 Desert Shield cards, even though the commons don't carry a huge premium

Peter_Spaeth
01-07-2016, 10:07 AM
You may be correct Peter, but between 1984 and 1991 Topps issued 12 card boxed mini sets of metal cards for dealer premiums. The cards in most years came in aluminum, bronze and silver. I have not followed them recently but in the past only the silvers sold for much. Most years had one of the players also issued in pewter as well. Again, not much of a premium. But someone was forging all the cards in pewter and selling them on eBay. Why, I have no idea.

I would not be at at all surprised if Henderson rookie fakes exist. Someone has definitely created a lot of fake 1991 Desert Shield cards, even though the commons don't carry a huge premium

I didn't mean there are no fakes, I mean if you are going to go to the effort of splitting a PSA holder and doing a fake flip, you are going to set a higher target than a Hendrson, IMO.

01-07-2016, 03:13 PM
P.S.--That is a very nice Henderson card shown up above, for sure. I actually have that one myself. I also would prefer cards in a raw form, but, unfortunately there are so many counterfeits out there now, I have trouble distinguishing between what's real and what's not. That's the only reason I'm considering graded cards.

Look at his card again, very closely. Are you sure you have that one? :eek: