PDA

View Full Version : Lelands lot 407 shows a 1892-93 J.U. Stead Keeler and states the only one known.

jerrys
01-05-2016, 02:51 PM
http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/77831/Winter-2015-Catalog-Auction/Sports/Historic-New-York-Yankee-Baseball-Collection/Lot407~Wee-Willie-Keelers-True-Rookie-Card-1892-93-J_U_-Stead-Cabinet-Series-Only-One-Known

That auction card appears to be the restored card from the Mastro Auction shown below:

1880nonsports
01-05-2016, 03:00 PM
I have my helmet on so have at it. it's a cabinet photograph and as such I would not approach it as I would a base ball CARD. Different treatments are seen as acceptable with a photograph. It's been cleaned to remove stuff. Nothing has been rebuilt or reconstructed. While it should be disclosed in a sale when known I personally wouldn't use the term restored.
BTW - my best to you Jerry. Hopefully I'll see you in AC.

jerrys
01-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Hi Henry -

The pin hole shows before work was done. Plugging it up is a stage of restoration.

Take off your helmet now.

1880nonsports
01-05-2016, 03:19 PM
fingers engaged before brain :o I was just browsing the site and ran across your two pix. My bad. I think I'll keep the helmet on as there are a lot of jagged corners on most of my furniture and I don't handle the bruises as well as when I was younger.

Leon
01-05-2016, 03:49 PM
fingers engaged before brain :o I was just browsing the site and ran across your two pix. My bad. I think I'll keep the helmet on as there are a lot of jagged corners on most of my furniture and I don't handle the bruises as well as when I was younger.

Note Cy w/Helmet in Avatar....Take my lead Henry.

Stonepony
01-05-2016, 04:15 PM
I have my helmet on so have at it. it's a cabinet photograph and as such I would not approach it as I would a base ball CARD. Different treatments are seen as acceptable with a photograph. It's been cleaned to remove stuff. Nothing has been rebuilt or reconstructed. While it should be disclosed in a sale when known I personally wouldn't use the term restored.
BTW - my best to you Jerry. Hopefully I'll see you in AC.

Huh?!?!

1880nonsports
01-05-2016, 04:29 PM
it looked like it had been cleaned - I didn't see the pinhole(s). In my mind a cabinet photo isn't the same as a baseball card. Just my opinion from observation and synthesis of how the issue of cleaning seems to be treated in both hobbies. Removing glue and stains from a photo or the mount isn't generally regarded as an egregious treatment "altering" the item whereas in the card hobby most would consider it alteration.

drcy
01-05-2016, 04:38 PM
The Mastro one was restored (cleaned up) before that auction. There was a long thread about that way back when.

Bicem
01-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Nice catch Jerry, thanks for the heads up! Card or no card everything done to it should have been disclosed.

prestigecollectibles
01-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Looks the same as the one in the 2004 Mastro auction

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/lot-43173.aspx

1880nonsports
01-05-2016, 05:54 PM
The funny thing is that everyone would agree were they to post a comment that things should be disclosed - I've never heard otherwise - but somehow many things just get moved on through the hobby without a word.

Peter_Spaeth
01-05-2016, 06:03 PM
The Mastro one was restored (cleaned up) before that auction. There was a long thread about that way back when.

Yeah that was a hell of a thread.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=75456&highlight=keeler

Bicem
01-05-2016, 06:11 PM
The funny thing is that everyone would agree were they to post a comment that things should be disclosed - I've never heard otherwise - but somehow many things just get moved on through the hobby without a word.

Very true, thank goodness we have the professional graders to help us out! :rolleyes:

h2oya311
01-06-2016, 12:19 PM
wow -

Just got done reading the old thread on this card! Peter - thanks for sharing. Any reason why Leland's hasn't disclosed the restoration and cleaning that had previously been done to the card?

Josh Leland - you're on this board occasionally. Might I suggest that you add this to the lot description as it is not common knowledge that the card had been restored? I certainly didn't know until I saw this post.

Also, going back to that old thread that Peter shared, check out posts #154-156 regarding the PSA 8 T206 Wagner...we had some pretty smart folks on this board back in 2004! Where did they all go?

Leon
01-06-2016, 01:51 PM
wow -

Just got done reading the old thread on this card! Peter - thanks for sharing. Any reason why Leland's hasn't disclosed the restoration and cleaning that had previously been done to the card?

Josh Leland - you're on this board occasionally. Might I suggest that you add this to the lot description as it is not common knowledge that the card had been restored? I certainly didn't know until I saw this post.

Also, going back to that old thread that Peter shared, check out posts #154-156 regarding the PSA 8 T206 Wagner...we had some pretty smart folks on this board back in 2004! Where did they all go?

Most of those people are still here. Hal Lewis got completely out of the hobby, as far as I know, after a divorce. Gilbert came and went but was around 80 or so back then, I think. I haven't seen him around. But most in the thread are still around, I think. That being said members come and go all of the time....LL

1880nonsports
01-06-2016, 02:29 PM
from one of the links:
The domain Mastronet.com is listed for sale for $4888. Click here to purchase this domain name.

Bicem
01-09-2016, 01:34 PM
13K... wow.

Stonepony
01-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Yup, wow. Many other auction houses or EBay sellers would have been torched by this board for not disclosing the work that was done on this item. Disappointing pass issued here. Wonk where art thou?

Runscott
01-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Cabinet restoration is so common now that it's generally not mentioned. Here's a before and after of the Bingos cabinet. I was going to bid on it, but couldn't tell how extensive the cleaning was - the scan looks kind of weird, especially along the edges.

Stonepony
01-09-2016, 03:04 PM
"The front is EX/NM". Bulls**t

h2oya311
01-10-2016, 08:26 AM
Scott - thanks for not bidding up the Bingos Cabinet!! I ended up winning that one. I wad the underbidder on the JU Stead, but could never justify the next 10% (really 12%) increment, especially with the extensive restoration.

The old Legendary / Mastro auction of the Bingo Cabinet did mention some work "expertly" done to one of the corners,so I'm sure the same crew worked on both cabinets at the same time.

I'm still perturbed that neither work was disclosed by Leland's.

Runscott
01-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Derek, they might not have noticed it. I picked up on the piece added to the lower left because it was obvious as a gap when I owned it. Perhaps the restoration was indeed expert. I tend to give Lelands the benefit of the doubt as they are one of my preferred AHs.