PDA

View Full Version : New member here, just joined from Canada.

irv
01-04-2016, 05:46 PM
Hi all.

Newbie from Canada.

I have been checking out/reading some posts here and I think I will enjoy this site.
I have some interesting cards, namely this one, which, although I know it's tough to guesstimate, I would still like your thoughts on what you think of the card and what you think it might be worth?

I received it, and others (which I'll post later) from my Father about 20yrs ago.

Unfortunately, it's the worse card (most damage) that was given to me. Go figure!:mad:

Thanks guys. Looking forward to contributing and learning from this site

Take care........Irv

ALR-bishop
01-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Welcome. Keep clear of the Jollyelm :)

irv
01-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Welcome. Keep clear of the Jollyelm :)

Thanks, and thanks for the heads up! ;)

1952boyntoncollector
01-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Thanks, and thanks for the heads up! ;)

PIck up at many 1952 topps 'canadian' gray back that you can!

DBesse27
01-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Get that card out of that holder!

Rickyy
01-05-2016, 01:17 AM
Welcome Irv!

Ricky Y

irv
01-05-2016, 04:04 AM
Get that card out of that holder!

Not disagreeing with you, just don't understand the reasons why?

The card is stored is a safety deposit box unexposed to the light, but are there other reasons?

Thanks for the welcome guys. :)

DBesse27
01-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Cards can adhere to a lucite holder, resulting in paper loss once removed. The longer they're in there, the more susceptible they are.

pawpawdiv9
01-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Cards can adhere to a lucite holder, resulting in paper loss once removed. The longer they're in there, the more susceptible they are.

Its been mentioned before ^^^^. I just couldnt tell if you had that 52 in a plastic sleeve inside the holder.
On another note, some folks mention you could also flatten the card and a possible making it wavvy.

irv
01-05-2016, 04:05 PM

Its been mentioned before ^^^^. I just couldnt tell if you had that 52 in a plastic sleeve inside the holder.
On another note, some folks mention you could also flatten the card and a possible making it wavvy.

Thanks guys. I will remove it, and my Willie Mays. At the time I was told those were the best.

What do you recommend, sizes included please.

Thanks.........Irv

Bestdj777
01-05-2016, 07:15 PM
I recommend sending to PSA and having them graded. It is worth it for the protection--both now and later when it comes time to sell (by you or a relative). You know they are authentic then, you have a record of the grade, and they are pretty much secure in a holder.

jb67
01-05-2016, 07:26 PM
I recommend sending to PSA and having them graded. It is worth it for the protection--both now and later when it comes time to sell (by you or a relative). You know they are authentic then, you have a record of the grade, and they are pretty much secure in a holder.

+1. For sure get them graded.

irv
01-05-2016, 08:51 PM

+1. For sure get them graded.

Hoping to at some point this year, just have to educate myself further on everything first.

Any idea what it would cost to grade Mickey, Willie and a Robinson?

I have a total of a 109 cards from this set, with the majority in real good shape imo, and 46 in total from 311 to 406. It would be nice to get all or most graded, but I am sure that wouldn't be cheap?!?!? Any idea how much I am looking at just for Mantle and Mays?

Thanks guys, really appreciating all the help I am getting here! :)

1952boyntoncollector
01-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Hoping to at some point this year, just have to educate myself further on everything first.

I have a total of a 109 cards from this set, with the majority in real good shape imo, and 46 in total from 311 to 406. It would be nice to get all or most graded, but I am sure that wouldn't be cheap?!?!? Any idea how much I am looking at just for Mantle and Mays?

I call dibs on that nuxall if you ever decide to sell...

pawpawdiv9
01-06-2016, 02:55 PM

I seldom submit cards (only done 1 to Beckett and 2 to SGC)
The Mantle and Jackie, will be purely on the insurance coverage for sure.
Even if you low-ball, PSA and others could charge you for the more accurate figures.
Calculate insurance to ship and also to receive:

According to SGC:
Any card 2500 or less uses the Next Day service (48hr) = 40.00
Any card valued 7500 or less uses the walk-thur service(same day) = 75.00 fee
any card valued above 7500+ uses the Immediate service (2hr) = 200 fee
also note: above 10,000 will be 300 fee with a 1-2 hr turnaround

Insurance- FedEx:
Base Cost: NextAM (50?) NextPM (40?) 2day (25?)
Add 2$ each additional 10 cards
Add 2.10 for residential deliver
Add 3$ for each 500 of insurance

For Insured & Register Mail:
Postage Cost: 1-10 cards= 8.00
Register Mail: 5k-6k = 21.20, 6k-7k = 22.55, 7k-8k= 23.90, 8k-9k= 25.25
9k-10k = 26.60, 10k-11k = 27.95 and etc.

BONUS TO CANADIANS:
FOR CANADIAN CUSTOMERS ONLY:
SUBMIT TO:
SGC Canadian Submission Center
395 Gothic Drive
Oshawa Ontario, Canada
L1G 7R6
All packages sent to the Canadian Submission Center must include 'Signature Required' as proof of delivery. SGC is not responsible for any package that did not request a signature as proof of delivery.
Return shipping charges for up to 20 cards varies by province/territory as follows:
Ontario or Quebec - $16.00
Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador or Prince Edward Island - $20.00
Manitoba, Alberta, British Columbia or Saskatchewan - $25.00
Yukon, Nunavut or Northwest Territories - $30.00
Add $2.00 for each 10 additional cards.
$100.00 insurance included with standard shipping charge. Additional
insurance coverage is $1.00 per $100.00 coverage.
If you would like a signature to be required for delivery, please add $1.50.
All payments must be in US Currency.
Add an additional $5 on Canadian checks and money orders.
All duties and taxes are included.
Turnaround times on Canadian submissions may take longer based on mailing and pick-up schedules.

SGC January specials:
January Grading Specials
1970-Present:
$5 per card
20 business day turnaround time. Value limit $100 per card.

15 Day Special:
$10 per card
15 business day turnaround time. Value limit $500 per card. (Excludes Gretzky and Jordan rookie cards)

irv
01-06-2016, 05:55 PM
I seldom submit cards (only done 1 to Beckett and 2 to SGC)
The Mantle and Jackie, will be purely on the insurance coverage for sure.
Even if you low-ball, PSA and others could charge you for the more accurate figures.
Calculate insurance to ship and also to receive:

According to SGC:
Any card 2500 or less uses the Next Day service (48hr) = 40.00
Any card valued 7500 or less uses the walk-thur service(same day) = 75.00 fee
any card valued above 7500+ uses the Immediate service (2hr) = 200 fee
also note: above 10,000 will be 300 fee with a 1-2 hr turnaround

Insurance- FedEx:
Base Cost: NextAM (50?) NextPM (40?) 2day (25?)
Add 2$ each additional 10 cards
Add 2.10 for residential deliver
Add 3$ for each 500 of insurance

For Insured & Register Mail:
Postage Cost: 1-10 cards= 8.00
Register Mail: 5k-6k = 21.20, 6k-7k = 22.55, 7k-8k= 23.90, 8k-9k= 25.25
9k-10k = 26.60, 10k-11k = 27.95 and etc.

BONUS TO CANADIANS:
FOR CANADIAN CUSTOMERS ONLY:
SUBMIT TO:
SGC Canadian Submission Center
395 Gothic Drive
Oshawa Ontario, Canada
L1G 7R6
All packages sent to the Canadian Submission Center must include 'Signature Required' as proof of delivery. SGC is not responsible for any package that did not request a signature as proof of delivery.
Return shipping charges for up to 20 cards varies by province/territory as follows:
Ontario or Quebec - $16.00
Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador or Prince Edward Island - $20.00
Manitoba, Alberta, British Columbia or Saskatchewan - $25.00
Yukon, Nunavut or Northwest Territories - $30.00
Add $2.00 for each 10 additional cards.
$100.00 insurance included with standard shipping charge. Additional
insurance coverage is $1.00 per $100.00 coverage.
If you would like a signature to be required for delivery, please add $1.50.
All payments must be in US Currency.
Add an additional $5 on Canadian checks and money orders.
All duties and taxes are included.
Turnaround times on Canadian submissions may take longer based on mailing and pick-up schedules.

SGC January specials:
January Grading Specials
1970-Present:
$5 per card
20 business day turnaround time. Value limit $100 per card.

15 Day Special:
$10 per card
15 business day turnaround time. Value limit $500 per card. (Excludes Gretzky and Jordan rookie cards)

Thank you very much, pawpawdiv9, that is great some great info! Glad to see a CDN place to send them. Like the idea of that much better! I appreciate it! :)

P.S. Sorry, but what does, "Value limit $500 per card" mean?

DBesse27
01-06-2016, 09:48 PM
I would submit to PSA.

Laxcat
01-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Yeah submit them. Also, since you're in Canada... Would you mind checking #131-190 for gray backs, if you have a #189 gray back you should let Al know. :)

irv
01-07-2016, 04:07 AM
I would submit to PSA.

It will likely be SGC being as a place is in Canada and not too far from me.

Yeah submit them. Also, since you're in Canada... Would you mind checking #131-190 for gray backs, if you have a #189 gray back you should let Al know. :)

What exactly are grey back cards? I really don't know if I have some/them or whit backs, if that is what they are called?

I'll check to see if I have a #189.

Thanks.

pawpawdiv9
01-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Thank you very much, pawpawdiv9, that is great some great info! Glad to see a CDN place to send them. Like the idea of that much better! I appreciate it!

P.S. Sorry, but what does, "Value limit $500 per card" mean?

Thats just the value of what the card is worth at the moment. Of course the Mantle is well above that by all means and some others you have shown.
Of course PSA is the much better for re-sale purposes, as they fetch more money and they do have a new security hologram slab.
Its purely your choice, but DO get it slabbed. Like someone said, going to a show might not be all bad..You can get it done while waiting, despite whatever it takes...2hrs or so.
You can kill that easily doing a walk-thru.
SGC is not a bad 2nd choice, some folks like their holders, for the pre-war like of the black gasket i assume. SGC does have good customer service and talk to Earl, he can help ya out if need-be.

irv
01-07-2016, 10:09 PM

No #189, Laxcat. Also looking for info on the gray backs? Don't know exactly what I have but would like to know the significance?

Thats just the value of what the card is worth at the moment. Of course the Mantle is well above that by all means and some others you have shown.
Of course PSA is the much better for re-sale purposes, as they fetch more money and they do have a new security hologram slab.
Its purely your choice, but DO get it slabbed. Like someone said, going to a show might not be all bad..You can get it done while waiting, despite whatever it takes...2hrs or so.
You can kill that easily doing a walk-thru.
SGC is not a bad 2nd choice, some folks like their holders, for the pre-war like of the black gasket i assume. SGC does have good customer service and talk to Earl, he can help ya out if need-be.

Thanks again, Pawpaw. SGC is likely what I'll go with? I wrote them asking some info about the CDN guy but I have't heard anything back yet. I'd like to personally deliver my cards to the person grading them but don't know if that would be allowed?

I am hoping so for the fact I won't have to send them in the mail, plus the cost of doing so. Being there while some were graded would not only be interesting, I am sure I would learn a thing or two if that's allowed?

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again..........Irv:)

Laxcat
01-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Check cards 131-190. They normally have an off white/cream color. If they have gray stock, you have some keepers. You can tell from the front of the cards as well. The gray backs will have a "muddier" looking image. I'm not sure, but I think this is from it being printed on different stock.

irv
01-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Check cards 131-190. They normally have an off white/cream color. If they have gray stock, you have some keepers. You can tell from the front of the cards as well. The gray backs will have a "muddier" looking image. I'm not sure, but I think this is from it being printed on different stock.

Are those the only cards affected? Doesn't look like (going through my list) that I have any within those numbers but I'll have to double check.

If I remember correctly, all/most of my cards look the same on the backs, with maybe one to 3 that look like they were maybe exposed to the sun for a prolonged period of time at some point? (darkened)

I am going to have to pull them out, maybe this week-end, to see exactly what I have again, but I also don't remember them being too white, they were mostly a darker shade, grayish maybe, but if those "Grey" cards are only in between those numbers you posted, then I likely have the "normal" ones so to speak?

Can you tell by these pics what these are? I assume regular/normal ones?

irv
01-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Looked into this further and now understand the "Grey back" card. I pretty much can say for a fact that I don't have any cards that look like this. These are truly grey/black cards.

http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/showcase.aspx?sc=2338