PDA

View Full Version : Can you trust any authenticated babe ruth ball?

pokerplyr80
01-03-2016, 10:06 PM
I am not a big memorabilia collector, although there are plenty of pieces I would love to add. The one I've always dreamed of is a Babe Ruth autographed baseball. I discussed this with another card collector / net54 member who told me he wouldn't trust any Babe Ruth signed ball, including those authenticated by PSA, JSA, SGC, or anyone else. He pointed out this article as proof.

I know there are a lot of experts on this site, so I'm curious as to what you guys think. Here is a link to the article this member sited as evidence of his position:

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=39987#more-39987

btcarfagno
01-04-2016, 06:56 AM
Ruth single signed balls are absolutely a mine field, especially ones in top condition.

There are certain long time dealers whose opinion you should absolutely value above those of the major authentication companies. Jim Stinson, Richard Simon, Richard Albersheim...there are others but those three off the top of my head I would trust with a single signed Ruth.

You need to be very careful with these, especially so for examples in top condition (not that they are "more forged" but rather because of the outlay and expense).

Tom C

Bpm0014
01-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Can you trust it? Of course you can. However, the best way to be sure is to post a picture on here before you buy it and most autograph experts would be happy to help. Once you get the hang of it, Ruth's autograph is fairly easy to decipher as being genuine/not genuine.

Scott Garner
01-04-2016, 08:40 AM
Ruth single signed balls are absolutely a mine field, especially ones in top condition.

There are certain long time dealers whose opinion you should absolutely value above those of the major authentication companies. Jim Stinson, Richard Simon, Richard Albersheim...there are others but those three off the top of my head I would trust with a single signed Ruth.

You need to be very careful with these, especially so for examples in top condition (not that they are "more forged" but rather because of the outlay and expense).

Tom C

+1 I would also put Kevin Keating on this list of dealers to trust their opinion.

RichardSimon
01-04-2016, 09:23 AM

Tom C

Thanks for the kind words.
I have not owned a Babe Ruth baseball in a long time. Every owner of one sends it to an auction. It then goes to the TPA's and if you have read the HOS story you know what has been happening then.

ooo-ribay
01-04-2016, 02:14 PM
The auction house/authenticator relationship is a little too cozy for me.

pokerplyr80
01-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the responses. This is the ball I am considering:

RichardSimon
01-04-2016, 02:48 PM
The auction house/authenticator relationship is a little too cozy for me.

++++
I have authenticated for three auction houses.
Two of them were easy to work with and never pressured me on items.
One of them was always looking over my shoulder and if I rejected an item they were all over it with "oh, we got this from so and so."

Bpm0014
01-04-2016, 03:03 PM
Slightly atypical in that the U intersects with the R, but good. A pre-1928 autograph obviously.

JMEnglish27
01-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Probably common knowledge, but is there a timeline on when he stopped putting Babe in quotes? Is that what you mean by pre-1928?

Bpm0014
01-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Yes. He generally stopped using them in 1928.

pokerplyr80
01-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the input and information.

JustinD
01-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Great thread and advice.

I would absolutely love one of these also, but been scared out of my mind to buy something that I neither know much about, nor trust the TPGs.

I'll save this one.

egbeachley
01-06-2016, 01:52 PM
I really like that one. The ball has normal, even wear. Signature is easy to read and is not a "perfect" example like the master forger was easily able to replicate over and over again.

Was wondering.....with the past high prices paid for these "perfect" fakes, are the prices inflated? In one sense yes. But then again, the real signatures may now raise in price.

Forever Young
01-06-2016, 02:51 PM
Nobody has got it right all of the time. I would love to have one too but damn...

conor912
01-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Does anyone have a rough idea as to what percentage were actually signed by his wife? I've heard that those are, for better or worse, considered legit?

ATP
01-06-2016, 09:22 PM
I don't think anyone considers the Claire Ruth ghost autographs legit. They are pretty easy to spot once you learn what to look for, and for the most part show up mainly late in life when his health was failing. You see them more on photos and specifically smaller postcard sized photos that were being sent out through the mail to autograph requesters in the later 1940s.

conor912
01-06-2016, 09:49 PM
I don't think anyone considers the Claire Ruth ghost autographs legit. They are pretty easy to spot once you learn what to look for, and for the most part show up mainly late in life when his health was failing. You see them more on photos and specifically smaller postcard sized photos that were being sent out through the mail to autograph requesters in the later 1940s.

Thanks, Jeff. Good to know.

Iron Horse
01-07-2016, 10:45 AM
All i know is that i bought a Ruth/Gehrig/Bengough ball in the REA 2015 auction which was authenticated by JSA. Since i've had the ball i sent it first to Global and they gave it the thumbs up. Then the ball went to PSA and they also gave it a thumbs up. I did not disclose to any of the TPG that the ball was previously authenticated.
Had done my research prior to bidding but still wanted to have the comfort of knowing all the TPG agreed on the authenticity, and they have. :)

Shoeless Moe
01-07-2016, 12:46 PM
I think you are better off to do like you did if you want a legit Ruth and get his auto on a team or multi-signed ball, less likely to have all the sigs forged as opposed to just one. Odds are 10 times higher it's legit then a single signed one.

Forever Young
01-07-2016, 12:58 PM
All i know is that i bought a Ruth/Gehrig/Bengough ball in the REA 2015 auction which was authenticated by JSA. Since i've had the ball i sent it first to Global and they gave it the thumbs up. Then the ball went to PSA and they also gave it a thumbs up. I did not disclose to any of the TPG that the ball was previously authenticated.
Had done my research prior to bidding but still wanted to have the comfort of knowing all the TPG agreed on the authenticity, and they have. :)

First off, this thread should be moved to the autograph section

Secondly, GLOBAL is about as bad as it gets. A global cert on anything would make me think there was a greater chance of it being bad than good.

JSA and PSA nods will at least protect you from losing your ass as far as investment. If you are happy with it, it sounds like you have a winner.

Personally, I would never buy a ball unless it could be traced back(directly) to Ruth's hand and had JSA and PSA nods. They are just too much money to risk and there are so many other things to buy without authenticity issues.

pokerplyr80
01-07-2016, 04:48 PM
First off, this thread should be moved to the autograph section

Secondly, GLOBAL is about as bad as it gets. A global cert on anything would make me think there was a greater chance of it being bad than good.

JSA and PSA nods will at least protect you from losing your ass as far as investment. If you are happy with it, it sounds like you have a winner.

Personally, I would never buy a ball unless it could be traced back(directly) to Ruth's hand and had JSA and PSA nods. They are just too much money to risk and there are so many other things to buy without authenticity issues.

I didn't notice the autograph sub forum until just now. I spend most of my time on net54 in the card forums. I do appreciate the advice though and will post in the proper section next time.

djson1
01-12-2016, 12:00 PM
....Secondly, GLOBAL is about as bad as it gets. A global cert on anything would make me think there was a greater chance of it being bad than good....

+1...Exactly my thoughts.