PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Topps Mante, KSA

itjclarke
01-03-2016, 03:59 PM
Anyone see this one? Spotted it last night, thought it looked shady... saw it sold today. In addition to normal red flags (KSA, low feedback, no similar items listed, etc) the black border at top seems wavy, and his hat looks funny to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-Rookie-Mickey-Mantle-KSA-5-311-Excellent-Crisp-color-NY-Yankees-HOF-/141867411565?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Xl5NK5vBM%252FNlBtoOvj1m8T1GkCw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

pawpawdiv9
01-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Defitnly looks weird, maybe a cut-out from something or hand-made. Dont like it. The black border at the top and looks aged dirty looking.

Peter_Spaeth
01-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Back is wrong for variation A. Chris I thought you would have spotted that.

Jdoggs
01-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Shows it was sold on ebay on 12-21-15 by same seller and then relisted.

ALR-bishop
01-03-2016, 05:16 PM
Peter---good one

itjclarke
01-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Back is wrong for variation A. Chris I thought you would have spotted that.

For sake of clarity, what is the back difference between the A and B variations?

Peter_Spaeth
01-03-2016, 06:06 PM
The "s" at the end of "DiMaggio's" aligns with a different letter in "Right" above. And the stitches go in different directions.

itjclarke
01-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Thanks Peter. Here are pics of the card sold today.

Peter_Spaeth
01-03-2016, 06:23 PM
http://bbcemporium.com/1952-topps-mickey-mantle-counterfeit-guide/

itjclarke
01-03-2016, 07:17 PM

Nice. I did a good bit of research before buying mine a few years ago, but had forgotten the back differences between A and B

angolajones
01-03-2016, 07:21 PM
As a newbie, am I right that it appears to be a Type I front and a Type II back? Based on the alignment of the DiMaggio's S? Thus incorrect.

itjclarke
01-03-2016, 07:45 PM
As a newbie, am I right that it appears to be a Type I front and a Type II back? Based on the alignment of the DiMaggio's S? Thus incorrect.

Yep, that's what Peter confirmed, and is described in the link he posted. I still think there's skme weirdness on the front too, that wavy top black border.. And bloctchiness in the hat. That said, woulda been a bit scarier had this appeared in a PSA holder and under a more legitimate looking listing.

pawpawdiv9
01-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Sorry Peter, I didnt even look at it, since i was unable to zoom in.
I forgot, but is the stitches darker on the B than the A???
Also wanted to point out on some fakes we seen, where the Mantle signature may or may not touch the box.
And the half tone/ full yellow stars in the outlined box.
And of coures the T bars at the top borders compared to the other version where its missing a pixel (like in a angle)
And not to forgot the missing blue pixel across the hat bibb

I am along in line with Ian on the black borders, just screwed up and wiggly, and too thick then goes thin.
And Peter-- good eyes as always. You do a good thing pointing out those fakes on Ebay, no matter of the Mantle haters. Sure hate anyone being screwed.

Peter_Spaeth
01-04-2016, 03:24 PM
Chris the stitches point in different directions on the two versions -- from memory it's to the right on B but don't quote me.

irv
01-04-2016, 05:52 PM
I was reading this post while waiting to become a member here and found this very interesting!

Definitely learned some things, and based on what I have read about fakes etc, I believe, unfortunately for the purchaser, that it is indeed a fake.

Found this, which I think also explains some things.

Analyzing the Authentic 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle Card

Because the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle was double printed, there actually exists two different variations of the card, Type I and Type II. Each type has a few unique identifiers which will be discussed.

1952 Topps Mantle Type I graphic

Type I Front

1952 Mickey Mantle Back Type I graphic

Type I Back

The lower left corner is a missing a pixel, thus not forming a completing square corner
The team logo has a solid black border around it entirely
The stitches on the baseball are facing to the left
The “h” in Right and “s” in DiMaggio’s are nearly perfectly aligned.

1952 Topps Mantle Type II graphic

Type II Front

1952 Mickey Mantle Back Type II graphic

Type II Back

There is a missing blue pixel
There is only a partial black border around the Yankee logo
The top border overlaps the two side borders
The border around Mantle’s name is not as smooth an even as the Type I card
The stitches on the baseball are pointed to the right
The “t” in Right and the “s” in DiMaggio’s are nearly perfectly aligned.
One thing is for sure, there is not a shortage of 1952 Topps Mantle counterfeits available. If you ever decide to buy this iconic card, make sure the card has been graded by a reputable grading company and the card is being sold by a reputable dealer.

Peter_Spaeth
01-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Same link I already posted lol.

irv
01-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Same link I already posted lol.

Sorry, Pete. Newbie mistake I guess. :o

Peter_Spaeth
01-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Sorry, Pete. Newbie mistake I guess. :o

LOL. Good information in any event, it's funny how people looking for one don't make a basic effort to educate themselves.

irv
01-04-2016, 06:10 PM
LOL. Good information in any event, it's funny how people looking for one don't make a basic effort to educate themselves.

I agree! Maybe I'm anal, but I always check out/look into things, (no matter what they are) thoroughly!