PDA

View Full Version : What kind of budget or money do you spend

Bwarren92989
01-02-2016, 07:54 PM
What is the average you guys spend or budget in a year on pre war cards? Just wanna see some of the crazy dollar amounts!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

familytoad
01-02-2016, 09:25 PM
This might not get too many answers on a public forum (especially if paired with the thread "Does your spouse know about your collection:D)

FWIW, mine does and she wouldn't want me to say LOL.

Real bills always win the battle of the budget, but we are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy this awesome hobby which sometimes costs money:D

Jewish-collector
01-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Fortunately or unfortunaly, I probably spend, arguably the least amount of money on sports collectibles than anyone on this message board. Is that OK ? Does it make me a bad person ?

1952boyntoncollector
01-02-2016, 10:03 PM
Fortunately or unfortunaly, I probably spend, arguably the least amount of money on sports collectibles than anyone on this message board. Is that OK ? Does it make me a bad person ?

I bought a bunch of vintage cards raw when I was 20 or so and keep recycling the money made on those cards over and over...never any new money just the same money I had in from when I was 20..

brianp-beme
01-02-2016, 10:59 PM

Definitely not a bad person...just least desirable in the eyes of sellers.

Brian

rhettyeakley
01-02-2016, 11:02 PM
I personally have an unwritten agreement with my wife that family money is "family money" so what I make from my regular job goes to "the family" and I don't use that in any way to buy cards. That being said anything I make selling things in the hobby on the side is mine to do with as I please, so if I sell items on ebay or to a forum member she doesn't expect to see that money in our family bank account (I do often spend "card money" on them but it isn't expected.) We have never really argued about money as it pertains to how much I spend on cards because of this agreement. This wouldn't work for everyone as all wives are not created equal, but it works for us. :D

There are members on this forum that spend anywhere from $0 (as they are mainly observers and not really collectors anymore) to those among us that have nearly unlimited funds they can utilize on a whim (enough to buy the T206 Wagner several times over). The diversity on this forum is something that makes it great!

pokerplyr80
01-02-2016, 11:14 PM
No set budget for me. I collect both pre and post war and if I see a card I like at a price that seems far and I can afford I pick it up. Or if it's one I can't really afford or justify the cost to acquire I may sell other cards to get it.

freakhappy
01-03-2016, 12:54 AM
No set budget for me. I collect both pre and post war and if I see a card I like at a price that seems far and I can afford I pick it up. Or if it's one I can't really afford or justify the cost to acquire I may sell other cards to get it.

This is exactly what I do^^

It all comes down to if my bank account is at a comfortable state. If it's dragging a little too low, I wait a while and let it replenish. The only exception is if I see a steal on a card and I'll make due and buy it.

01-03-2016, 05:08 AM
This is exactly what I do^^

It all comes down to if my bank account is at a comfortable state. If it's dragging a little too low, I wait a while and let it replenish. The only exception is if I see a steal on a card and I'll make due and buy it.

+1

obcbobd
01-03-2016, 05:44 AM
This might work best as an anonymous poll, if that is possible.

Jason
01-03-2016, 06:21 AM

bnorth
01-03-2016, 07:06 AM
I bought a bunch of vintage cards raw when I was 20 or so and keep recycling the money made on those cards over and over...never any new money just the same money I had in from when I was 20..

I am lucky like Jake. I don't think I have spent a penny on cards ever. I was given a stack of early/mid 60's cards when I was a little kid and as a teenager actually got into collecting. I sold a few to begin with and just kept recycling the $ by selling what I no longer like for new stuff I got to have.

Laxcat
01-03-2016, 09:07 AM
I also have a plethora of cards on hand that I sell and trade to get what I want. I generally use about 60% of sales to buy more stuff, usually lots. I keep a few choice pieces for myself then sell/trade the rest in an ongoing cycle.

I find myself having to take breaks from it. Like April, April sounds nice.

I do however set aside about $1000 a month to buy something to add to my collection.

JustinD
01-03-2016, 09:17 AM

If that's a true story, it's pretty cool Jake!

mechanicalman
01-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Like others have done, I'm not sure it's prudent to state an amount, but rather the philosophy of budgeting. I plan on spending as much as I can without making one, even insignificant, sacrifice or compromise in my daily life. Bills, food, vacation, etc. come first. It just so happens I don't have expensive tastes in material goods like clothes, watches, etc. so I'm fine wearing Old Navy hoodies if it means having a Cobb in the safe. Finally, I firmly believe that the cards I collect (all pre-war, mostly HoF, mid-grade) are perfectly liquid, so I see it as the equivalent of putting money in a savings account or T-bill. Thst helps me justify the spend for my wife and me.

Fred
01-03-2016, 09:45 AM
The equivalent of at least 500,000 Burundian Francs will be spent this year on OJs. And that would be a so-so OJ....

Very interesting question. :confused:

glynparson
01-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Probably more than I should.

GaleClark23
01-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Reading these responses of where members are "self-funding" their buying for collections. I have built my entire home "gym" in such fashion......BUT.......not sure where to start such a strategy with cards.

What would you experienced veterans suggest for a new collector that wants to proceed in such fashion????

(1) What specific cards should I focus on if resale is my focus?
(2) How much should I be willing to spend on such cards (as a % of book price)?
(3) What about resale?

Any insights would be appreciated and could keep me in the hobby before my wife takes a bigger notice of what Im spending:D

drcy
01-03-2016, 10:01 AM
In pesos it sounds like a lot

buymycards
01-03-2016, 10:04 AM
If I see something somewhere that fits my collection and the price is right, I will buy it, but it depends on many factors.

A few years ago I sold my collection of over 200 T206's and over 100 T205's to help out one of my children.

During this past year, 3 of my grandchildren graduated from high school and entered college. I helped them all financially so they could make it through their first year without getting into debt. So, I cut way back on my card purchases.

Some years I spend quite a lot on cards and some years I cut back. Some years I generate a nice profit and some years I generate a loss if I keep some expensive cards for my collection.

Rick

ALR-bishop
01-03-2016, 10:09 AM
I expect to exceed 10,000,000 in Dongs this year

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mc6653e6dd2add4b9f714879b1a421a40o0&w=300&h=188&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Laxcat
01-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Reading these responses of where members are "self-funding" their buying for collections. I have built my entire home "gym" in such fashion......BUT.......not sure where to start such a strategy with cards.

What would you experienced veterans suggest for a new collector that wants to proceed in such fashion????

(1) What specific cards should I focus on if resale is my focus?
(2) How much should I be willing to spend on such cards (as a % of book price)?
(3) What about resale?

Any insights would be appreciated and could keep me in the hobby before my wife takes a bigger notice of what Im spending:D

Let me restate: bills come first. As for $$$ amount. I buy most items for my collection here. So I'm comfortable stating it. A bunch of yall already know that.

I started with tons of cards that were purchased, paid for, and profited on.

As for buying lots: that's it. Do it. If you are looking to fund your collection through reselling, redundant I know, buy lots.

Set a price at the beginning and don't budge from it. If you decide to spend X more on stuff than you wanted, even if it's $5, it adds up quick.

Don't get caught up buying a lot to get a card for you. If the point is to fund your collection you should buy first with intention of selling it all. After you purchase it then see if there is anything you can't live without.

These work for me. Maybe not everyone.

JustinD
01-03-2016, 10:19 AM
This might not get too many answers on a public forum (especially if paired with the thread "Does your spouse know about your collection:D

Lol,

I would not answer that one, and I sure am not answering this one. ;)

I get enough grilling just with the stuff coming in the mailbox that I am considering a PO box for piece of mind. :D

midmo
01-03-2016, 11:14 AM

Mountaineer1999
01-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Put the question in a poll form and I'll answer :) Unlike most of the responses here, I am having to build a base of cards and go from there. If there is a way to buy in bulk and sell off 3/4 of the cards to pay the bill and keep the other 1/4 count me in. I just haven't been able to find that formula yet.

kmac32
01-03-2016, 11:45 AM
For my collection, it depends on what comes along card wise. I spent a little more this year as I bought some high dollar T 207 Cubs (serveral Millers and Saiers). Probably will not spend as much this year as other cards I am looking for should not be as expensive. Who knows for sure but if there are not many cards I am looking to add, the National might be in the budget? Do not see that many T207 Napoleon back Cubs around so might take a big venue to find them.

Bwarren92989
01-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Sorry everyone I understand the need to be anonymous. How do I create the question in poll form?

Peter_Spaeth
01-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Sorry everyone I understand the need to be anonymous. How do I create the question in poll form?

What's the point? I for one don't like it when people try to make it about money.

Bwarren92989
01-03-2016, 12:23 PM
What's the point? I for one don't like it when people try to make it about money.
It's not about money. I was curious because I see some crazy cards on here and I'm a younger collector. Maybe it would motivation to reach a goal later in my life to be able to spend more seeing that others spend as much as I would like to. Sorry not trying to be rude or anything

Peter_Spaeth
01-03-2016, 12:39 PM
It's not about money. I was curious because I see some crazy cards on here and I'm a younger collector. Maybe it would motivation to reach a goal later in my life to be able to spend more seeing that others spend as much as I would like to. Sorry not trying to be rude or anything

There's a whole spectrum of wealth and spending on here, but the good news is that in overwhelming part it isn't an issue. If you get enjoyment out of whatever you are able to afford, that's the important thing.

Laxcat
01-03-2016, 12:40 PM
There's a whole spectrum of wealth and spending on here, but the good news is that in overwhelming part it isn't an issue. If you get enjoyment out of whatever you are able to afford, that's the important thing.

+1 according to my Eddie Taubensee collection!

Bwarren92989
01-03-2016, 12:43 PM
Thank you. I understand

Peter_Spaeth
01-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Thank you. I understand

The other good news is that while of course there are cards that are very expensive, there are many great cards that are still available for a relatively little amount of money, particularly if you can sacrifice a little on condition. Don't get too hung up on what you can't afford (yet).

Bpm0014
01-03-2016, 05:21 PM
I'm a little different than most. I'm a poker player (on the side) and a sports bettor. I buy cards with any extra money I make at the poker table and betting sports. Fortunately I'm decent at both (I've won betting 33 out of last 35 weeks :-) ).

Bwarren92989
01-03-2016, 05:25 PM
I'm a little different than most. I'm a poker player (on the side) and a sports bettor. I buy cards with any extra money I make at the poker table and betting sports. Fortunately I'm decent at both (I've won betting 33 out of last 35 weeks :-) ).
Congrats! Teach me your ways!!

hangman62
01-03-2016, 05:30 PM
you only won 33 of 35 ?

yea..OK

Bpm0014
01-03-2016, 08:14 PM
On my life, not ONLY have i won 33 out of last 35 weeks, I've only technically had to pay ONE week. The other two weeks were (fairly) insignificant amounts in which I just carried over. Not only that, coming into Saturday's bowl games I had won 36 out of my last 41 games, which is documented (I went 3-2 yesterday however). I'm on my 4th bookie in 7 years which is a complete badge of honor. Oh, and 4-0 today (Steelers, Colts, Seahawks, under Rams).

Peter_Spaeth
01-03-2016, 09:09 PM
On my life, not ONLY have i won 33 out of last 35 weeks, I've only technically had to pay ONE week. The other two weeks were (fairly) insignificant amounts in which I just carried over. Not only that, coming into Saturday's bowl games I had won 36 out of my last 41 games, which is documented (I went 3-2 yesterday however). I'm on my 4th bookie in 7 years which is a complete badge of honor. Oh, and 4-0 today (Steelers, Colts, Seahawks, under Rams).

Let's hear your picks BEFORE the fact. :D Then we'll see just how well you do.

Bpm0014
01-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Typically college bowl games and NFL playoffs are a very difficult time for bettors. College football season is my bread and butter though. If you remind me when college football rolls around again later this year, I'll be happy to provide my picks immediately AFTER kickoff. Anything PRIOR to kickoff will cost you haha. I'm at 73% documented over the last 6 seasons between college football/NFL. (This is in no way a sales pitch as I strictly bet for fun/T206 cards/baseball memorabilia)

Peter_Spaeth
01-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Vs. point spread? Or just picking the winners?

Bwarren92989
01-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Typically college bowl games and NFL playoffs are a very difficult time for bettors. College football season is my bread and butter though. If you remind me when college football rolls around again later this year, I'll be happy to provide my picks immediately AFTER kickoff. Anything PRIOR to kickoff will cost you haha. I'm at 73% documented over the last 6 seasons between college football/NFL. (This is in no way a sales pitch as I strictly bet for fun/T206 cards/baseball memorabilia)
Who do you have for the cfb championship ? I'm a diehard Ohio State fan so it doesnt matter to me who wins but id prefer Clemson 😅

WillowGrove
01-04-2016, 01:33 PM
+1 according to my Eddie Taubensee collection!

Hey Matt - you related to his former battery mate Norm?

Bpm0014
01-04-2016, 02:53 PM

Obviously with the point spread. I know everyone has a "system" but after 2 years of treading water/losing, I developed a proven system in which I quite simply (without revealing too too much) exploit/take advantage/maximize my advantage thru my bookie. Only drawback is that my system does not give me a "winner" until minutes before a game. However, 1-2 minutes before a game I have a pretty good understanding of what's going to happen. Is it foolproof? Of course not. Will I have a bad week here and there? Yes, I lost $26,000 in a week during the bowl games 3 years ago (and still won for the year). However, overall I've won like 6 years straight with this being my best year ever; having only "paid" once (not counting the 2 weeks in which I had minor carryovers). I've put 495/524 out of the T206 set together this way :)

hangman62
01-04-2016, 02:59 PM
I have a system too..but mine gives me the winner ..minutes after the game ends...Im pretty good..89% this yr

ALR-bishop
01-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Not me, I bet on Oregon at halftime in the Alamo Bowl

Bpm0014
01-04-2016, 03:04 PM
That's not a very good system then Ralph. You should be at 100%....

Laxcat
01-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Hey Matt - you related to his former battery mate Norm?

3rd cousin or so.. Very distant.

Peter_Spaeth
01-04-2016, 04:46 PM

Obviously with the point spread. I know everyone has a "system" but after 2 years of treading water/losing, I developed a proven system in which I quite simply (without revealing too too much) exploit/take advantage/maximize my advantage thru my bookie. Only drawback is that my system does not give me a "winner" until minutes before a game. However, 1-2 minutes before a game I have a pretty good understanding of what's going to happen. Is it foolproof? Of course not. Will I have a bad week here and there? Yes, I lost $26,000 in a week during the bowl games 3 years ago (and still won for the year). However, overall I've won like 6 years straight with this being my best year ever; having only "paid" once (not counting the 2 weeks in which I had minor carryovers). I've put 495/524 out of the T206 set together this way :)

Very impressive, I cannot imagine there are many people in the history of the world who have picked 73 percent versus the point spread.

Peter_Spaeth
01-04-2016, 04:48 PM
I have a system too..but mine gives me the winner ..minutes after the game ends...Im pretty good..89% this yr

heh

Peter_Spaeth
01-04-2016, 04:53 PM

Guess this article didn't know about you.

Big Myth #4 Pie in the Sky Win Rates As NFL betting has grown, so has the tout business. A tout is someone who gets paid to help a bettor make money betting the NFL. Some are legitimate handicappers. An overwhelming majority are not. The first way to protect yourself from one who is not is to rule out anyone who claims to win 75 or 80 percent against the point spread. Just remember this: Anyone who reasonably expected to win 80 of his next 100 bets could turn $1,000 into $15 billion by proper proportional betting—all in one season! A realistic long-term win percentage for a skilled handicapper will be in the 55–60 percent range. I know of no service that has done better than about 60 percent over a number of seasons. And those that consistently reach 60 percent are very few.

Luke
01-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Yeah, not to mention that no bookie would allow themselves to get beat up so badly over a long period of time. If you win at that high of a clip, you have to find people with a good credit line to place wagers for you. You don't just stick with one bookie who is happy to pay you out every single week of the season.

It is possible that someone could win at a 73% clip over 6 seasons, but it would be in the 99.95% (or some similar large number) percentile of winners. A huge outlier in other words. I can imagine that it is possible because I've seen some crazy runs in gambling, but without any proof you have to take stuff like that with a grain of salt.

Peter_Spaeth
01-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Yeah, not to mention that no bookie would allow themselves to get beat up so badly over a long period of time. If you win at that high of a clip, you have to find people with a good credit line to place wagers for you. You don't just stick with one bookie who is happy to pay you out every single week of the season.

It is possible that someone could win at a 73% clip over 6 seasons, but it would be in the 99.95% (or some similar large number) percentile of winners. A huge outlier in other words. I can imagine that it is possible because I've seen some crazy runs in gambling, but without any proof you have to take stuff like that with a grain of salt.

Let's see him post his picks in real time.

Bpm0014
01-04-2016, 06:10 PM
As stated earlier, I have gone through numerous bookies in the last couple of years. Look, I have nothing to prove. I do not own a website, I'm not trying to start a website, I'm not trying to start a business, nor am I touting my service. I simply stated that I spend my gambling winnings on cards/memorabilia/etc. I have a family, a nursing degree, I played college baseball, I now play ultra competitive softball, and work for a health insurance company. I'm a normal regular guy who happens to fly under the radar and make a couple bucks betting NCAA/NFL football. For the record I bet $100-$500 a game with an occasional $1000/$2000 here and there. Again, if you do not believe me I'm completely 100% fine with that.

ALR-bishop
01-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Tell us about your softball exploits.

Peter_Spaeth
01-04-2016, 06:22 PM
As stated earlier, I have gone through numerous bookies in the last couple of years. Look, I have nothing to prove. I do not own a website, I'm not trying to start a website, I'm not trying to start a business, nor am I touting my service. I simply stated that I spend my gambling winnings on cards/memorabilia/etc. I have a family, a nursing degree, I played college baseball, I now play ultra competitive softball, and work for a health insurance company. I'm a normal regular guy who happens to fly under the radar and make a couple bucks betting NCAA/NFL football. For the record I bet $100-$500 a game with an occasional $1000/$2000 here and there. Again, if you do not believe me I'm completely 100% fine with that.

I can't prove anything, and you may well be telling the truth, but I am naturally going to be skeptical of anyone claiming a 73 percent success rate betting FB games against the point spread over many years when the most successful professionals are at 60. That would make you one of the greatest gamblers of all time. Sure, it's possible.

Peter_Spaeth
01-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Tell us about your softball exploits.

He is batting .730. :D:D

Leon
01-04-2016, 06:34 PM
He is batting .730. :D:D

That wouldn't be that great in men's softball. If I am not hitting that, I am pissed at myself.

Bpm0014
01-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Haha. It's softball. And I bat leadoff. So I better hit .700. I have 2 Rings. (Don't laugh).

Bpm0014
01-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Ring 2

Peter_Spaeth
01-04-2016, 06:39 PM
That wouldn't be that great in men's softball. If I am not hitting that, I am pissed at myself.

LOL. But you aren't playing ultra competitive I bet. :eek:

Bpm0014
01-04-2016, 06:48 PM
He is correct. .730 is not that great in competitive softball. It's good, but leadoff should hit .800+

hangman62
01-04-2016, 07:15 PM
It doesn't add up....a winning % like that gambling on sports ! ????

01-04-2016, 08:04 PM
It doesn't add up....a winning % like that gambling on sports ! ????

He's a bookie killer!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MZgmHzhGJ7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the 'stache
01-05-2016, 04:43 AM

Well said.

Very impressive, I cannot imagine there are many people in the history of the world who have picked 73 percent versus the point spread.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/840266/Screen_shot_2011-12-29_at_11.51.15_AM.png

Leon
01-05-2016, 06:31 AM
He is correct. .730 is not that great in competitive softball. It's good, but leadoff should hit .800+

I usually bat 3 or 4...

Bpm0014
01-05-2016, 08:26 AM
You must be a pretty good hitter. 3rd in softball is almost always the best hitter on the team...

Leon
01-05-2016, 08:29 AM
You must be a pretty good hitter. 3rd in softball is almost always the best hitter on the team...

Ok....Our team is mediocre so I am a stand out :). I love playing though.....btw, I am left handed and play ss, 3rd, 2nd and all over the outfield when needed.....Sometimes our team has both a lefty ss and lefty 2nd base. It makes double plays interesting. You should see me spin when I play 2nd....it's pretty good except the ball goes all of the place sometimes......(most times it's on target though)

Back to topic, I used to spend a ton relative to my resources. Now I spend a little less (at least until some family finances get figured out)