PDA

View Full Version : 1949 WS ticket

GaryPassamonte
12-30-2015, 03:57 AM
I was visiting an antique friend/dealer yesterday and he pulled out an envelope containing 3 1949 World Series game 1 full tickets. Can anyone help me with the value of the tickets? The tickets are quite crisp and crease free. The image I have attached is of poor quality and doesn't do justice to the actual ticket. I have searched and can't find any full ticket recent sales. Thanks.

Scott Garner
12-30-2015, 04:16 AM
Hi Gary,
While admittedly World Series tickets are not my specialty (I collect tickets from the regular season), without seeing scans of the tickets it would be difficult to make this call. Could you please post a picture or scan?

In looking at the box score for this game on retrosheet.org I did note that this game featured the NYY vs. the Brooklyn Dodgers. In game 1 at NYY "Super Chief" Allie Reynolds was masterful, twirling a 2-hitter en route to a 1-0 shutout over the Bums. Other than that, there was no offensive standout performance from Joe D. and Co. to drive up the value. The fact that the ticket(s) is full definitely increases it's overall value that would certainly be several hundred dollars, assuming that the condition is NM with no creases or damage.

FYI, there is a definite subset of ticket collectors that focus on the World Series theme. Many of these collectors PSA slab these tickets. The higher the grade, the higher the value. Full tickets in nice condition bring higher values. This alone would make these desirable to the ticket collecting hobby.

I hope this helps. Here is a photo of Allie Reynolds prior to game 1 of the 1949 WS out of my personal collection.
Happy New Year to you and everyone on net54!

JayZim13
12-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Full World Series tickets should bring 3 to 5 times more then a ticket stub for the same game. Stubs for normal Yankee Stadium games from that era have been selling for $50-$100 depending on condition. I would probably put a retail value of $150-250 each (maybe higher if the condition is how you describe-I can't tell from the scan).

Scott Garner
12-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Hi Gary,
Thanks for supplying a photo!
Now that I have seen the ticket, which appears to be in great shape, I would estimate it's value at being $300- $400 ea.

GaryPassamonte
12-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info Scott and Jay. I bought the three tickets today. Since I am not a ticket collector, I plan on selling either two or all of them. I am a Dodger fan, so I might keep one. If anyone is interested, let me know.

ajenks3378
12-30-2015, 09:09 PM
I am a ticket collector...
I found this old listing from 2004
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/mobile/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=38121
Full tickets are way more valuable...3-5 times is accurate.
But being the Yankees I would say you could get 600-800.
Sorry I couldn't find a more recent auction.
Very nice looking ticket though and condtion.
Andy

GaryPassamonte
12-31-2015, 03:52 AM
Thanks, Andy.