PDA

View Full Version : OT: Take a Walk Down a Street Where They Sold Pre-War Cards

Jobu
12-27-2015, 09:05 PM
I thought I would share this because I know that there are a lot of people here who are general history buffs in addition to being obsessed with baseball history. One of my favorite places to visit is an exhibit at the Milwaukee Public Museum called The Streets of Old Milwaukee:

http://www.mpm.edu/plan-visit/exhibitions/permanent-exhibits/first-floor-exhibits/streets-old-milwaukee

The exhibit recreates what it would have been like to take an evening stroll through downtown Milwaukee between 1880-1915, right when the cardboard we love so much was for sale. In fact, there are a few shops (calm down, they are part of the exhibit!) that sell and advertise the tobacco, candy, etc. products with which we are so entralled.

If you are ever in the area I highly recommend stopping in, they have done a great job with this exhibit and you really get the sense that you have traveled back in time. It is also right right next to another neighborhood exhibit from the same time period, The European Village, which has a similar feel but displays ethnic households.

Jason Carota
12-28-2015, 07:55 AM
What a wonderful looking exhibit! If I'm ever in the Milwaukee area, I'll be sure to visit. Thanks for the post!

Jason
12-28-2015, 08:33 AM
That is a really nice exhibit thank you for sharing it. It reminds me alot of how Richmond STILL looks in some spots!

yankeesman
12-28-2015, 02:27 PM
What an incredible exhibit. I love that kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing and definitely a must see if I make it to Milwaukee.

trdcrdkid
12-28-2015, 09:38 PM
Very cool. I also love that kind of stuff. It looks kind of like "Yesterday's Main Street" at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, which was always my favorite exhibit in the museum as a kid.

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/yesterdays-main-street/

Leon
12-30-2015, 04:00 PM
That was neat, thanks for sharing!!

I thought I would share this because I know that there are a lot of people here who are general history buffs in addition to being obsessed with baseball history. One of my favorite places to visit is an exhibit at the Milwaukee Public Museum called The Streets of Old Milwaukee:

http://www.mpm.edu/plan-visit/exhibitions/permanent-exhibits/first-floor-exhibits/streets-old-milwaukee

The exhibit recreates what it would have been like to take an evening stroll through downtown Milwaukee between 1880-1915, right when the cardboard we love so much was for sale. In fact, there are a few shops (calm down, they are part of the exhibit!) that sell and advertise the tobacco, candy, etc. products with which we are so entralled.

If you are ever in the area I highly recommend stopping in, they have done a great job with this exhibit and you really get the sense that you have traveled back in time. It is also right right next to another neighborhood exhibit from the same time period, The European Village, which has a similar feel but displays ethnic households.