PDA

View Full Version : seeking help with 1974-1978 issues of trader speaks and sports collectors digest

jsq
12-27-2015, 01:15 PM
hello fellow classic card fans,

i advertised in trader speaks and sports collectors digest in various issues 1974 through 1978 with DISPLAY advertisements.

for my wifes scrapbook i am seeking copies of the pages with my old adverts (or the whole issue) if anyone has the old issues with my adverts which they would be willing to xerox the page or sell the whole back issue i would appreciate your assistance going down memory lane.

i have been through the majority of the trader speaks issues which i have had access to, but i am not sure what adverts are in the remaining 1/3 of the issues i have not been able to personally inspect. regarding the scd i have only been through a few issues.

if you are willing to browse your back issues i can private message you a list of what issues i have already personally inspected so as to not waste your time looking at those issues from which i have already acquired my adverts. their are still numerous back issues from 1974 - 1978 that i have not inspected for my old adverts.

also i need a single back issue of the "sports collectors news" from 1974 since i believe it has a picture of me in the issue.

i will pay for the old issues if you are willing to part with the issue OR pay for the xerox of the page with my old advertisements if you desire to keep the issue.

if you are interested in helping me please either mention so on this board and i will private message you, or you can private message me and i will respond with the list of what 1974 - 1978 issues i have eliminated (and already acquired).

many thanks and happy new year
jsq

edhans
12-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Post your list. I have several TTS from that range.

Andy Sandler
12-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Give me your name and I will look.

jsq
12-27-2015, 04:14 PM
thanks both of you for the assistance on the issues you can look at.

i have sent both of you via private message the list of issues i have already reviewed personally.

lets hope some others can chip in and cover all the other years.

many many thanks,

jsq

Collectorsince62
12-28-2015, 12:39 AM
I have several SCD's from '78 - 7/15, 9/15, 9/30, 10/15, 10/31, 11/15, 11/30 and 12/15.

rkrolewicz
12-28-2015, 12:59 AM
Can you send me the list also? Thanks.

gnaz01
12-28-2015, 03:39 AM
Same here, I have several so if you send me a list, I will have a peek.

Greg

jsq
12-28-2015, 09:10 AM
I have several SCD's from '78 - 7/15, 9/15, 9/30, 10/15, 10/31, 11/15, 11/30 and 12/15.

awesome, greatly appreciated

list is on its way via private message

thanks,,
jsq

trdcrdkid
12-28-2015, 09:21 PM
I have a complete run of SCD for those years. Also some Trader Speaks, but not a complete run.

Collectorsince62
12-29-2015, 09:31 AM
I checked the eight issues I have from 1978 but did not see your ads. But I did enjoy a nice trip down memory lane. Now I'm kicking myself for not focusing on vintage back then.

jsq
12-29-2015, 11:56 AM
I checked the eight issues I have from 1978 but did not see your ads. But I did enjoy a nice trip down memory lane. Now I'm kicking myself for not focusing on vintage back then.

that was most kind of you to look. your trip down memory lane is awesome and a side benefit. i would greatly encourage all collectors who joined the hobby in the 90's or more recently to get some old hobby issues from the 70's and do the same. it will provide perspective to the hobby.

seeing the price of vintage cards is a WHOLE LOT OF FUN and brings back a lot of fun memories. i have also browsed some back issues as previously mentioned and found the same vicarious thrill seeing what coulda shoulda been.

the hobby was quite different back then and i remember selling at card shows for instance at the 1974 single show in chicago (yeah only one show of consequence in the whole 7 million metro in 1974 as i recall) and hoping someone would come along and buy out my 1930's and 1940's duplicates. unlike today their was a major deficit of available cash to buy cards - you just could not move inventory.

for example an acquaintance of mine bought a mint 52 topps set at the philly show in 1976 for $950. that was the entire set not the low numbers. now mint back then and mint today are two different animals but nonetheless, you get the idea. that $950 price was auctioned at the philly show NOT a private sale by a unimformed buyer. the entire show table holders and any of the interested attendees of the show were allowed to participate and bid. that same acquaintance about 3 or so years later sold 5 complete sets of 52 topps, maybe vg condition on balance, to seperate buyers, at $1,000 each. so that was in 1979 or 1980. he is still in the hobby today and was a genuine pioneer and outstandingly bright and innovative person. the poor growth of the hobby in the 1960's did not encourage anyone to speculate or stockpile much. a few like larry in wisconsin did have an excellent vision of the future and stockpiled a ton of cards in the early 70's and forward.

t-206 and other stellar t series runs, goudeys, play balls, etc were similiarly priced relative to today. the star card phenomena and condition phenomenas did not exist at that point to any great degree COMPARED to now. the better condition cards and star cards certainly brought premiums over commons but NOTHING like today.

ps, in case you are wondering i sold ALL of my cards back in the 70's and paid for college etc. that worked out REALLY excellent for me. so no regrets - just MANY fond memories.

i am as mentioned trying to help my wife build a scrapbook and GREATLY appreciate the boards help finding my old advertisements in the 74-78 back issues of tts and scd.

all the best,
jsq