PDA

View Full Version : Joe Dimaggio ball, stamped or autographed?

aelefson
12-26-2015, 08:19 AM
Hi-
I recently purchased the ball pictured below at an antique store. Is this ball stamped or is it his actual signature? It is a toy ball and it is softer than a regular baseball. It is also covered in something like Styrofoam as opposed to leather. I tried searching online for DiMaggio toy baseball, DiMaggio souvenir baseball, DiMaggio facsimile baseball and other variations but I could not find a match. I also thought it might have come with a children's game endorsed by DiMaggio, but I could not find one online.

The side panel writing looks to be in a child's hand and it says "class present at outing at Norumbega Park June 7th 1952. The last digit is difficult to decipher. Norumbega park is in Newton MA and is not far from where his brother Dom lived when he played for the Red Sox.

I personally think it is his autograph as opposed to a stamp. I base this on seeing less ink in certain parts of the signature like the lower loop of the J, the second g, and the o at the end. I also think the space between the i and m also shows a live signature. I can upload better pictures or scans if needed.

Normally, I would not buy something like this without knowing more but it was fairly low priced (50.00). I also purchased a really cool Spalding signature model bat (ca 1902) from the same store for 10.00 so I figured I could gamble a little on the ball. Please let me know what you think. I would like to know if it is a live autograph, or if it is stamped. I would also like to know if the autograph is genuine (it looks like it to me).
Thanks in advance,
Alan

baseball tourist
12-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Pics are a tad blurry. Hard to tell.

aelefson
12-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Here is what is hopefully a better picture. I will also try to scan it later. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Alan

aelefson
12-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Here is a scan of the signature.

Alan

baseball tourist
12-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Still tough to tell. I would be leaning towards a stamped signature but I could be wrong.

Bpm0014
12-26-2015, 08:30 PM
Disposable cameras take the worst pics!

gashouse34
12-26-2015, 09:38 PM
It's a toy or souvenir ball. I have the exact same ball. Not sure of age but is def vintage and still a cool item.

aelefson
12-27-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys! Brendan, it is actually my incompetence with picture taking as those photos came from a digital camera.

Brandon, thank you for the official confirmation. I figured it still has some value as a facsimile toy ball. Did it come with a game or a child's glove?

Alan

GrayGhost
12-28-2015, 05:14 PM
stamped ball. I believe that is a rubber ball, and came w a string attached originally. I had one, still, very cool and you got a good buy.

aelefson
01-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Thanks Scott.

Alan