PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgic Time

ramram
12-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Well, it's that time of year to get a little nostalgic about those simpler times. If you've got something to reminisce about, have at it.

For me, I go back to my childhood 40 years ago when I was making my first hard attempt to complete my 1975 Topps baseball set. I had gotten frustrated at buying pack after pack trying to get those last friggin 16 cards that I swore Topps must not have even produced in the successful attempt to keep me buying their cards. About the time I was gonna give up, my buddy next door came down to my house carrying a sheet of paper. On this sheet of paper was a magical address where for a modest price, THEY WOULD MAIL YOU THE FRIGGIN CARDS YOU WERE MISSING! What a magical moment. Damn that was the longest three weeks waiting for those cards to finally show up in the mail. About drove my mom nuts sitting by the front window and checking the mailbox multiple times each day. I still have that '75 set to this day. Worth far more to me than any other '75 set in the world!

Rob M.

gemmint77
12-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Really cool to see, thanks.

icollectDCsports
12-22-2015, 12:45 PM
I recall having my appetite for vintage cards boosted by the Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading, and Bubble Gum book in the late '70s. It was so cool that I was able to purchase a small number of older cards through the mail from some of the dealers listed in the back of the book. The one name that stands out is Gar Miller. It was also around this time that I began going to a card store, Gerhardt's World, in the Crystal City area of Arlington, Virginia. A whole new world opened up to me when I learned that baseball memorabilia of all types, representing the players of the past that I could only read about, was available to help bring those players and times to life.

trdcrdkid
12-22-2015, 01:57 PM
I have the Spring 1976 price list from Hobby Card House, very similar to this one. It was from them that I got one card from each Topps set, 1952 through 1975, for $2.95 plus 25 cents shipping. I think I ordered that from an ad in Baseball Digest, and got the price list with the cards.

Leon
12-22-2015, 04:44 PM
I recall having my appetite for vintage cards boosted by the Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading, and Bubble Gum book in the late '70s. It was so cool that I was able to purchase a small number of older cards through the mail from some of the dealers listed in the back of the book. The one name that stands out is Gar Miller. It was also around this time that I began going to a card store, Gerhardt's World, in the Crystal City area of Arlington, Virginia. A whole new world opened up to me when I learned that baseball memorabilia of all types, representing the players of the past that I could only read about, was available to help bring those players and times to life.

I bought my first of several R319 Ruth #144s from Gar very early in my" later-in-life" collecting career.

abroome
12-22-2015, 06:54 PM
There are two stories burned into my brain from when I young and just starting with T206s... (1989ish).
I think of them as nostalgic. (Or sad, maybe both).
One was that I was setup at a tiny Holiday Inn show and I was an oddity being young kid with pre-war cards. A guy came in and stopped at my table and said "I got cards like these in my trunk. Wanna see?"
I grabbed a friend who was a little older and we went out to the parking lot.
The guy pops the trunk and it was like seeing the lid to the ark popped open. Shoe boxes (actual shoe boxes) and storage containers filled with pre-war cards and trade cards and postcards. I think some "new stuff" like Goudeys, too. The majority were non sport but there were 206s that I specifically remember. I grabbed a stack and started looking. I was of course looking for that Wagner or a Cobb!
The guy says they were a relatives that passed and he wanted some cash.
My heart broke when he said "all or nothing. No single cards."
Well, that was the end of that for me. I can't recall the price but it was far out of my reach. Someone at the show went home happy I know.

Andy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

brass_rat
12-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Great stories, guys!

Uplifting, Rob.
Crushing, but great story to tell, Andy.

Cheers,
Steve

abroome
12-22-2015, 09:33 PM
I'll share the other story...
Scottsboro, AL back when trade days actually had stuff to find like real antiques and old cards, pre eBay days. This would have been 1988ish.
I was duped by my first reprints. 1938 Goudeys that had REPRINT rubbed off the back. But that was a cheap learning experience.
The real story is after walking nearly the entire town square hunting cards and old toys and old cigarette advertising, I started venturing into some of the stores that were open on the square. One store I rememeber was what looked like an old glass front dime or general store, long abandoned. It was open and there were people selling stuff inside.
Looking around, I spotted some 50s cards on a glass counter. The guy sees me eyeing the cards and says I got lots more. He pulls out 2 huge 3" 3-ring binders that had the covers folded back because they wouldn't close. Both albums were full of T cards! He knew what he had and knew rough prices. But there were some great backs and some good looking cards. I picked a few nice cards.
I had no clue about printing freaks and variations and even a full knowledge of backs.
(I did have a list of 206 backs from a book penned on the inside of the lid of the cigar box I carried T cards in! But it was just the basic backs, no such thing as brown OM's!).
Although I bought a few cards with the limited amount of cash a kid like me had, I think back about those 2 binders and wonder what all was in there and where they ended up.
Years later I would look for the guy but no luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk