PDA

View Full Version : Silk Handkerchief

Mark70Z
12-21-2015, 08:00 PM
I was going through organizing some of my stuff and ran across what I think is a handkerchief. Is that what it is; a silk handkerchief? Also, is it older or just have images of an earlier time in baseball. I don't really collect this type of item, but I'd at least like to know what it is and possibly an approximate age.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vintagecatcher
12-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Hi Mark,

I'm curious how large your item may be?

Is it possible to get a closeup of the generic players?

Looks like there are catchers on the silk.

Patrick

Mark70Z
12-24-2015, 04:37 PM
It's about 16" X 16".

Vintagecatcher
12-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Based on the size on the item, perhaps a woman's scarf.

As far as age...hard to say whether it's period (1900-1920) or a retro item (1940-1960.)

Patrick

Mark70Z
12-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Based on the size on the item, perhaps a woman's scarf.

As far as age...hard to say whether it's period (1900-1920) or a retro item (1940-1960.)

Patrick

Patrick,

Thanks for the response. Thought it may possibly be too large for a handkerchief, but I remember my grandfather having them, in his shirt or suit pocket and the handkerchief looked fairly large. I guess it's possible for a woman's scarf, but could you see a woman wearing this baseball motif scarf back in the day? I guess it's possible.

I guess it would be nice to at least know more about it. Definitely looks nice though. I like it...

JustinD
01-02-2016, 04:53 AM
Due to the career and how I like to dress, that definitely a pocket square. I have one in my breast pocket often.

They have become bigger and smaller because of fashion changes over the years. I probably have about as many of those as I have ties (100+) and some are tiny (10" square) and some seem huge ( up to 22" square). I often buy vintage because I like the quality and the look.

Looking at the colors, size, and print, my assumption would be it would be from somewhere in the mid 60's to mid 70's. They are worth more if they are from a very quality maker, hand painted silks or really bright and appealing. Unfortunately, that brown really dates it to the period and makes it a hard sell for someone who wanted to use it. The simplicity of the retro print and the colors makes me think it was a japanese maker for a department store item in that period.

Squares are one of those things that are not worth more than someone feels it is worth to them and their passing fancy at the time without a big name maker (I felt if you saw a maker name it would have been mentioned). Likely I would think between 10 and 20 bucks because the baseball print makes it more appealing. A common square of that period is usually under 10. I would just hold on to it, if you have a dark blue suit and some brown shoes you could take it for a stroll one day. :D

Mark70Z
01-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Justin,

Thanks so much for the information. I'm not really interested much in the value since I'm retaining the item, but wanted to know what it was and an approximate year it was made. You provided some useful information since I thought it was a handkerchief and you said it was a pocket square. Therefore, that's nice to know; thanks!