PDA

View Full Version : The Wentz Bros. Open Their Vault

Yoda
12-18-2015, 06:36 PM
I am sure that all card hawks have seen that BMW has just listed a T206 Cobb bat off GAI 6.5 with an UZIT reverse. This card has kicked around the hobby for a while and has been with them for quite some time, I think, and perhaps they felt, with the T206 mania for rare backs still blazing away, it was time to resurrect Tyrus. A couple of thoughts:
1. The eye-watering price tag of $125,000, which I suppose is normal for them. But you can make an offer!
2. Why is this card still in a GAI holder? I always thought BMW preferred SGC above all others.
3. Is some of the type or ink missing from the bottom middle letters of Detroit? My eyes aren't that good. John

bobbyw8469
12-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Their prices are soooooooooooooooooooo high. To be honest with you, I forgot about these guys.

tbob
12-21-2015, 11:13 AM
Their prices are soooooooooooooooooooo high. To be honest with you, I forgot about these guys.

+1

RaidonCollects
12-21-2015, 01:27 PM
If it's real, that's a nice card!

If a card is still in a GAI holder these days, most likely the card is altered, trimmed or even fake.

Look's real to me though. Maybe a expert can chime in and see if it's been altered.

Merry Christmas,

-Owen:)

Peter_Spaeth
12-21-2015, 01:37 PM
The auction says it was graded by GAI in 2002, right after the company started. That's as good as any PSA or SGC certification in my opinion.

bigfish
12-21-2015, 04:13 PM
The auction says it was graded by GAI in 2002, right after the company started. That's as good as any PSA or SGC certification in my opinion.

Why not switch it to a reputable company?????

ksabet
12-21-2015, 04:37 PM
GAI was reputable in their inception years

iwantitiwinit
12-21-2015, 04:54 PM

whether or not GAI was reputable early on or not seems immaterial to me. Fact is they are not perceived to be as reputable as PSA or SGC is now. Given that, it makes no sense whatsoever to keep a card in a GAI holder if it is up for auction unless there is some question as to the validity of the grade. If the grade is believed to be accurate then it should be submitted for PSA or SGC grading as it will realize more than if it remains in a GAI holder.

JasonD08
12-21-2015, 08:04 PM
The card is real. I do not think the flip is relevant to the fat this is a rare combo back Cobb. Whoever purchases this card will only care about authenticity not whether it is an old GAI 6.5 flip or PSA 6 flip. I do not think these guys have a preference with certain companies. How many EXMT UZIT Cobbs are even in the hobby?

Peter_Spaeth
12-21-2015, 08:11 PM
whether or not GAI was reputable early on or not seems immaterial to me. Fact is they are not perceived to be as reputable as PSA or SGC is now. Given that, it makes no sense whatsoever to keep a card in a GAI holder if it is up for auction unless there is some question as to the validity of the grade. If the grade is believed to be accurate then it should be submitted for PSA or SGC grading as it will realize more than if it remains in a GAI holder.

I am sure Brian and Michael will appreciate the advice.

ullmandds
12-21-2015, 08:18 PM
that cobb looks pretty good to me...atleast from an "I don't think it's trimmed" perspective. But what is the deal with missing "Detroit" text?

ALR-bishop
12-21-2015, 08:28 PM
I am sure Brian and Michael will appreciate the advice.

Agree Peter, they are likely pondering it even now

bcornell
12-21-2015, 08:31 PM

Mike Baker was likely the grader since it was very early on at GAI. It would be easy enough to verify this, as you'd only have to ask him. The card isn't altered, that's pretty obvious.

Cozumeleno
12-22-2015, 08:15 AM

That's sort of how I feel about it to tell you the truth. This is more about the need to sell it later than anything else for me. As reputable as GAI may have been, the reality is that prospective buyers will for the most part trust the PSA or SGC name. There are some that won't touch GAI cards - legit or not ... and that's especially true when you're talking six figures for a card.

Steve D
12-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Just positing here, but, the back of the flip indicates the card is from the Copeland Collection. If the card was crossed over, would SGC or PSA keep the Copeland Collection pedigree on it? If they would not, perhaps that is the reason it is still in the GAI holder.

Steve

ullmandds
12-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Just positing here, but, the back of the flip indicates the card is from the Copeland Collection. If the card was crossed over, would SGC or PSA keep the Copeland Collection pedegree on it? If they would not, perhaps that is the reason it is still in the GAI holder.

Steve

some would perceive removing the provenance as a benefit!

Steve D
12-22-2015, 05:49 PM

LOL....yea, that is true!

Steve

CMIZ5290
12-22-2015, 05:59 PM

As a matter of fact, their cards in high grade brought a slight premium over PSA graded cards when they first came out. Very similar to Beckett when they first came on the scene. For the owners to cross this card, they would obviously have to crack it and then submit it. That takes huge you know what.....

Peter_Spaeth
12-22-2015, 06:04 PM

Did Mastro sell it to Copeland?

botn
12-22-2015, 06:13 PM
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1991-03-10/features/1991069183_1_baseball-cards-copeland-sports-memorabilia-collection

1952boyntoncollector
12-22-2015, 06:34 PM
As a matter of fact, their cards in high grade brought a slight premium over PSA graded cards when they first came out. Very similar to Beckett when they first came on the scene. For the owners to cross this card, they would obviously have to crack it and then submit it. That takes huge you know what.....

things that first come out and our new and shiny sometimes due better than established things..no big news there....and now means absolutely nothing...its assumed it was attempted to be crossed for the same grade and was denied.

CMIZ5290
12-22-2015, 06:42 PM
things that first come out and our new and shiny sometimes due better than established things..no big news there....and now means absolutely nothing...its assumed it was attempted to be crossed for the same grade and was denied.

There is absolutely no way the card will cross unless it's cracked out, especially with PSA. I do agree with Peter in his previous posts, GAI initially was very well thought of, and this card appears to be the real thing. Having said that, it is still in a GAI holder and 99% or better of the high end collectors are not going to chance it, especially at this kind of price. What would the card be worth even as a PSA 6 or 6.5?

1952boyntoncollector
12-22-2015, 06:48 PM
There is absolutely no way the card will cross unless it's cracked out, especially with PSA. I do agree with Peter in his previous posts, GAI initially was very well thought of, and this card appears to be the real thing. Having said that, it is still in a GAI holder and 99% or better of the high end collectors are not going to chance it, especially at this kind of price. What would the card be worth even as a PSA 6 or 6.5?

there not many of these out there...even if cracked it out I think PSA will know its the same card..

JasonD08
12-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Doesn't matter if the card is a PSA 6, PSA 7 or GAI 6.5 or SGC 80 or 84.....it still takes $125K to purchase because it is authentic EXMT.....my guess they do not care about the flip. The card is genuine and there probably is not another one as nice.

Jason

Steve D
12-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Did Mastro sell it to Copeland?

IIRC, the Harris Collection came from the Copeland Collection.

Steve

bcornell
12-22-2015, 10:45 PM

What do you think it would be "worth"? More? Less?

Do you know who graded most vintage cards at PSA before he left to start GAI?

1952boyntoncollector
12-23-2015, 06:45 AM
What do you think it would be "worth"? More? Less?

Do you know who graded most vintage cards at PSA before he left to start GAI?

Do you know who left PSA to start a company that now has the worst reputation and failed?

PSA standards have generally thought to have improved over time as well.....if someone doesn't agree with that than they will agree that PSA recent standards are at least better than 90% of the standards of GAI for the life of that company..