PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Topps PSA fake Aarons

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Is there any website with pictures or help in determining fake Aarons..i see these sites for mantles but not Aarons.....

swarmee
12-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Is the PSA in your title intentional? Or do you just mean fake Aaron rookies, not specifically ones either graded by PSA or snuck into their cases surreptitiously?

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2015, 06:11 PM
I mean the Aarons in the 'PSA' cases......

bnorth
12-13-2015, 06:55 PM
I mean the Aarons in the 'PSA' cases......

I would say the big thing to look for is resealed slabs. PSA slabs are by far the easiest to crack and reseal with little to no evidence. PSA does let counterfeits slide through but I believe that to be a very small percentage of counterfeit cards in PSA slabs.

begsu1013
12-13-2015, 07:01 PM
if anyone has avail, I would like to see a fake in a new hologramed holder.

frost free and crisp.

everyone makes mistakes, but I assume you are talking in regards to older / resealed holders correct?

if it's a new, frost free one then we might have problems....

bnorth
12-13-2015, 07:21 PM
if anyone has avail, I would like to see a fake in a new hologramed holder.

frost free and crisp.

everyone makes mistakes, but I assume you are talking in regards to older / resealed holders correct?

if it's a new, frost free one then we might have problems....

Here is a picture of a new PSA slab with counterfeit card in it. Yes I was talking about the old slabs being easy to crack and reseal. I have not cracked a new holder yet but hear they are great.

begsu1013
12-13-2015, 07:54 PM
I remember your email! ;)

is there a 54 aaron in the same department though?

pokerplyr80
12-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Here is a picture of a new PSA slab with counterfeit card in it. Yes I was talking about the old slabs being easy to crack and reseal. I have not cracked a new holder yet but hear they are great.

What gives that one away as a fake?

glynparson
12-14-2015, 04:06 AM
is worth less than grading. Smart move by the counterfitters. PSA mistake not the same as a reseal job.

bnorth
12-14-2015, 06:39 AM
What gives that one away as a fake?

Easy way from the picture is the recropped picture in the middle. In hand they are not even close to a real card. Thinner card stock, dot pattern in grey bars is different, cards are cut small, ink quality, obvious signs of being rescreened, I could go on and on. The person that graded this card as real should not have a job grading cards.

is worth less than grading. Smart move by the counterfitters. PSA mistake not the same as a reseal job.

Yes just the normal happens several times a day PSA mistake. It is a well known counterfeit card that sells for around $100 raw. PSA has slabbed 4 of them and to my knowledge none have been sold on the open market and all 4 are owned by different Net54 members.

glynparson
12-14-2015, 10:13 AM
? that is not a $100 card raw. Heck you can get a psa 10 ff for less than a $100 if you look long enough. All these mis cropped cards are fake from what i have seen and has no value. I do agree the grader should certainly be looking for a job or at least retrained in 1980's issues. I am more concerned when they screw up exhibits now they are well known counterfeits. Most collectors have not given this card much mind since 1989. I am of course exempting the die hards and the legitimate tough variations of it.

bnorth
12-14-2015, 10:36 AM
? that is not a $100 card raw. Heck you can get a psa 10 ff for less than a $100 if you look long enough. All these mis cropped cards are fake from what i have seen and has no value. I do agree the grader should certainly be looking for a job or at least retrained in 1980's issues. I am more concerned when they screw up exhibits now they are well known counterfeits. Most collectors have not given this card much mind since 1989. I am of course exempting the die hards and the legitimate tough variations of it.

LOL, You don't have a clue.

Sean1125
12-14-2015, 11:21 AM

Take a step back before you embarrass yourself further.

pokerplyr80
12-14-2015, 12:17 PM

I find this reply strange as well. Here'a a link to a PSA 10 ff BIN for $99. I think glynparson was pretty accurate in his assessment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Fleer-616-Bill-Ripken-FF-Error-ORIOLES-PSA-10-Gem-Mint-LR34426-/221959464215?hash=item33add0a517:g:g1UAAOSwEeFU3lC 9

bnorth
12-14-2015, 12:59 PM
I find this reply strange as well. Here'a a link to a PSA 10 ff BIN for $99. I think glynparson was pretty accurate in his assessment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Fleer-616-Bill-Ripken-FF-Error-ORIOLES-PSA-10-Gem-Mint-LR34426-/221959464215?hash=item33add0a517:g:g1UAAOSwEeFU3lC 9

I was talking about the counterfeit version in the PSA slab in raw form being a $100 card. You should be able to get a real F Face PSA 10 version for $70-$80 pretty easily. My value is only on that exact counterfeit version. I would agree that all the other counterfeit versions out there are worthless. That one has a cult following among the hard core Bill Ripken collectors.

pokerplyr80
12-14-2015, 01:46 PM
I was talking about the counterfeit version in the PSA slab in raw form being a $100 card. You should be able to get a real F Face PSA 10 version for $70-$80 pretty easily. My value is only on that exact counterfeit version. I would agree that all the other counterfeit versions out there are worthless. That one has a cult following among the hard core Bill Ripken collectors.

So you're saying the counterfeit version is actually worth more than the real card? I had no idea.

Shoebox
12-14-2015, 02:17 PM
So you're saying the counterfeit version is actually worth more than the real card? I had no idea.

Me either....Mind blown! :eek:

Peter_Spaeth
12-14-2015, 08:57 PM

Why would anyone other than a relative be a hard core Bill Ripken collector??:confused:

pokerplyr80
12-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Why would anyone other than a relative be a hard core Bill Ripken collector??:confused:

The fact that there are hard core Bill Ripken collectors is almost as strange as a raw reprint being worth more than a PSA 10 original. Or a PSA 2 original for that matter.

Snapolit1
12-15-2015, 06:54 AM
In the card above, what the heck is "FF ERROR" by PSA supposed to mean? Besides possibly "'Effin' Fake".

Peter_Spaeth
12-15-2015, 07:14 AM
In the card above, what the heck is "FF ERROR" by PSA supposed to mean? Besides possibly "'Effin' Fake".

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/the-story-behind-billy-ripkens-fck-face-card/

bnorth
12-15-2015, 07:41 AM

The fact that there are hard core Bill Ripken collectors is almost as strange as a raw reprint being worth more than a PSA 10 original. Or a PSA 2 original for that matter.

LOL, I know it sounds weird but really what part of grown men collecting baseball cards is not weird?

It is mainly the 89 Fleer Bill Ripken cards that are highly collected. I only know a couple people that collect his other cards. Why that counterfeit version carries a huge premium is a mystery also. I know I sold one in VG-EX condition at best for $75 about a year ago.

Not 100% sure on the date, I think that counterfeit version started showing up around 15 years ago. Around 13 total have been found and up to recently most believed it to be a real variation/test proof.

If anyone would be interested here is a nice website dedicated to the real 89 Fleer Bill Ripken card. http://www.billripken.com/