PDA

View Full Version : 1981 TCMA Pawtucket Wade Boggs/set variation

bnorth
12-10-2015, 07:10 PM
I was going through 3 complete sets and noticed on 1 set the picture cropping is slightly different. I also noticed the set with the cropping differences the cards are all slightly different sizes but look to be factory cut. Also all 3 sets are printed on slightly different card stock. There are also slight differences on the card backs.

With the cropping differences there are parts showing on the cards that are not on the other card of the same player so I do not think they are high end rescreened counterfeits. The print pattern is also exactly the same on both versions so I am thinking they all had to be printed by TCMA but at different times.

I borrowed 2 pics off eBay of the Boggs card to show the cropping difference. The version with less of the PAW SOX showing on his jersey make up around 30% of the ones I found listed for sale.

I posted hoping the TCMA member(or anybody else) will see this and have some info on the differences.

JoeDfan
12-10-2015, 07:59 PM
I was just looking at a couple of TCMA DiMaggio cards tonight actually, and I noticed they were different from each other. But I only noticed the ink, I will have to look again and see if they are cropped different.

bnorth
12-13-2015, 07:41 PM
I was just looking at a couple of TCMA DiMaggio cards tonight actually, and I noticed they were different from each other. But I only noticed the ink, I will have to look again and see if they are cropped different.

Sean did you find what set the DiMaggio was from?

TCMA
12-14-2015, 07:24 AM
I was going through 3 complete sets and noticed on 1 set the picture cropping is slightly different. I also noticed the set with the cropping differences the cards are all slightly different sizes but look to be factory cut. Also all 3 sets are printed on slightly different card stock. There are also slight differences on the card backs.

I will shoot an inquiry to my father, he should have the info you're looking for :cool: .

bnorth
12-14-2015, 07:42 AM
I will shoot an inquiry to my father, he should have the info you're looking for :cool: .

Thank you very much!

TCMA
12-18-2015, 07:43 AM
Thank you very much!

Ok, spoke to my father and he says it's possible there were two printings, or new printing plates had to be made for whatever reason. Bottom line is he's not exactly sure since it was 30+ years ago and they produced a LOT of cards. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on this one :( .

bnorth
12-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Ok, spoke to my father and he says it's possible there were two printings, or new printing plates had to be made for whatever reason. Bottom line is he's not exactly sure since it was 30+ years ago and they produced a LOT of cards. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on this one :( .

It was worth a try, thank you!

TCMA
12-22-2015, 11:08 AM
It was worth a try, thank you!

Over this past weekend I did take a look at my own personal collection of TCMA Minor League cards and BOTH Boggs variations were present. Those cards came directly from my father in the 80's so there you go. Both are legit.

Unfortunately, as to why there are two different versions, that's anyone's guess.