PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday nite TRIVIA....What is unique about this HOFer's career ?

tedzan
12-08-2015, 04:01 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/websize/T205JimmyCollinsSGC60.jpg

Jimmy Collins had a great 14-year career. And, two events in his career are so unique that I think they will never be duplicated.

Can you name these two events ? ?

TED Z

sbfinley
12-08-2015, 04:53 PM
I believe I read once that he played a doubleheader with a leech (or leeches) attached to his face because a the swelling from a bean ball left him unable to see. That's got to be somewhat unique.

tedzan
12-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Steven

Interesting answer, but not the answers I'm looking for.

Thanks,

TED Z

tedzan
12-09-2015, 07:17 AM
OK, here's the easier one of the two answers that I was expecting......

As Player-Manager of the Boston Americans, Jimmy piloted Boston to winning the 1903 pennant in the newly established American League (AL).
Boston faced Pittsburgh of the National League (NL) in the very first World Series. Jimmy led Boston to a dramatic comeback victory by winning
the last 4 games of the Series (Boston 5 vs Pittsburgh 4).

This event was very significant as it definitely established that the AL could compete with the NL.

I leave it up to you guys to arrive at the 2nd answer to this quiz.

TED Z

frankbmd
12-09-2015, 08:08 AM
He is the grandfather of Joe Namath, who showed that the AFL could compete with the NFL.

tedzan
12-09-2015, 08:20 AM
He is the grandfather of Joe Namath, who showed that the AFL could compete with the NFL.

Hey Frank

Great minds think alike......I had the same exact thought as you when I was typing that fact.

But, that's not the other answer I'm looking for.

Take care my friend,

TED Z

NewEnglandBaseBallist
12-09-2015, 08:39 AM
First manager of the Boston Americans (Red Sox), Winning manager in the first World Series?

Yoda
12-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Half-brother of Eddie?

mybuddyinc
12-09-2015, 11:04 AM
First third baseman to play in on bunts and chops ???

Before him the "short stop" played in on most plays. Collins coming in at third allowed the SS to cover more infield.

ksabet
12-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Anything to do with bunting?...I once read he was known for playing the bunt. Probably no that youre looking for but a stab nonetheless.

edjs
12-09-2015, 11:23 AM
My guess is that he was instrumental by moving from the NL, to the AL, and becoming a part owner of the team when he moved, and helped break up the stranglehold a team had on a player if the team didn't want to let him out of his contract. He also was part of the first attempt to unionize players.

tedzan
12-09-2015, 07:14 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/websize/T205JimmyCollinsSGC60.jpg

Well, I didn't think this would be that tough, so it's time to throw out a hint......

It involves an event that has occurred only twice in Baseball history.

TED Z

ejharrington
12-09-2015, 08:36 PM
I thought it might be his 130 or more RBI in a season with less than 10 HR but there are seven players who did that. I'm still working on it.

cammb
12-10-2015, 05:41 AM
His HOF ceremony was held 68 years ofter his induction

cammb
12-10-2015, 05:42 AM
His HOF ceremony was held 68 years ofter his induction

ejharrington
12-10-2015, 06:43 AM
He, along with one other player (Chick Stahl), were the only players to win the last Temple Cup in 1897 and the first World Series in 1903.

tedzan
12-10-2015, 07:17 AM
OK, here's the easier one of the two answers that I was expecting......

As Player-Manager of the Boston Americans, Jimmy piloted Boston to winning the 1903 pennant in the newly established American League (AL).
Boston faced Pittsburgh of the National League (NL) in the very first World Series. Jimmy led Boston to a dramatic comeback victory by winning
the last 4 games of the Series (Boston 5 vs Pittsburgh 4).

This event was very significant as it definitely established that the AL could compete with the NL.

I leave it up to you guys to arrive at the 2nd answer to this quiz.

TED Z

Yes, Jimmy Collins was the Manager of the first World Series Champions. I 've already noted this in post #4 here.

ejharrington......you appear determined to correctly answer this trivia......so, keep trying.

And that goes for anyone else on this forum.

TED Z

Peter_Spaeth
12-10-2015, 07:59 AM
His team won the pennant but there was no World Series. Only twice was there no WS.

tedzan
12-10-2015, 08:27 AM
You got it....Peter

Jimmy Collins' Boston Americans won a dramatic Playoff game vs the NY Highlanders in 1904 to win the American League Pennant.

However, the NY Giants (NL Champs) refused to play Boston in the World Series. Pulliam, Brush, and McGraw simply declared that
their Giants were the "World Champions". Actually, they feared that Boston had a better team and that the Giants would lose.

There is an excellently written book regarding this event, titled....."The Year they Called Off The World Series".....by Benton Stark.
I highly recommend this book, especially if you are a true-blue "dead-ball" era fan.

And, you T206 fans will really enjoy reading it, as you'll find many of those T206 guys come alive.

TED Z