PDA

View Full Version : Matthewson Photo from National Remembrance Shop

aelefson
12-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Hi-
I acquired the framed photo pictured below a few years ago at an ephemera show in Massachusetts. It appears to have been purchased from the National Remembrance Shop that was located on 503 Fourteenth St. N.W. Washington D.C. (based on the label on the back). Has anyone ever seen a sports photo from this shop? From limited online research it appears this shop was open from 1914 through the 1920s but I am not sure how much longer they were open. Is there any way to date it based on the label? I believe this photo is a reproduction but I am curious if it is from an original negative as well as when the original photo was taken (and by whom). I am also struggling with whether I should remove it from the frame. I usually would not consider it, but I am curious if any information is labeled on the back of the photo itself. There is a tear in the paper on the back of the frame, but not large enough to view the back of the photo. Any thoughts? Sorry for the long winded post.

Alan

GKreindler
12-05-2015, 11:08 AM
Hey Alan,

I can't help with the shop or whether it's an original or not, but the image is most definitely a Charles Conlon. Also, it's definitely from the Polo Grounds in 1913 - possibly even from opening day, though I'm not super sure on that one.

Graig

Kawika
12-05-2015, 12:09 PM
I am also struggling with whether I should remove it from the frame. I usually would not consider it, but I am curious if any information is labeled on the back of the photo itself.
If the photo is as old as you think it might be it would be a good idea to crack it out anyway to replace the backing etc with acid free material to slow down deterioration. A good framer versed in conservation techniques is a photo collector's best friend. I would have them affix the store sticker to the back as part of the photo's provenance.

slidekellyslide
12-05-2015, 10:24 PM
No zip code on that sticker...it's at least 1950s or older.

rholmes
12-05-2015, 10:32 PM
I have a photo of Mount Vernon with that exact National Remembrance Shop sticker on the back of it. The photo came out of a late teens-early 20's scrapbook.

drcy
12-05-2015, 11:21 PM
If it were mine, I'd open it up and look at the back of the photo. When done, you can put it back together the way it was.

aelefson
12-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Thank you everyone for your help! I believe I will remove the photo from the frame. I will do it tomorrow and post the results. I will also save the label for possible future reframing (and at least to maintain the item's history).

Alan

Scott Garner
12-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Thank you everyone for your help! I believe I will remove the photo from the frame. I will do it tomorrow and post the results. I will also save the label for possible future reframing (and at least to maintain the item's history).

Alan

Absolutely! Alan, that photo is incredible....

aelefson
12-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Hi-
Last night, I slowly worked my way through the frame starting with unwinding the metal wire and removing the screws. I then used a small knife to carefully remove the back paper. I realized the item at least one more layer away, so I carefully removed the nails from the sides of the frame. Finally I tapped the frame, and the item finally came out (with a paper backing).

I could never have guessed what would be on the back of this. I thought maybe a 50s/60s print notice (and of course was hoping for much earlier). I had little thought it would be this. I have to say, I definitely got 15.00 in entertainment value (what I paid for it) from the last few years of speculating what might be inside. Now I know. I only wish the results were different!

Alan

ullmandds
12-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Yikes!!!!! Like a zonk on lets make a deal!!!!

khkco4bls
12-09-2015, 05:15 AM
Holy shit..... was not expecting that

batsballsbases
12-09-2015, 05:54 AM
Holy Crap Alan its a rare Frankin Photo!;);)

slidekellyslide
12-10-2015, 06:50 AM
Oh man...that stinks. So was the sticker put on the back to deceive?

aelefson
12-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the commiseration. Dan, I believe the original intention was to deceive but I am not sure when that occurred. I know the dealer I got it from, and her price tag was 17.00 (she gave it to me for 15). She normally deals with scrapbooks and other paper items, and they are almost all early (usually the newest items on her table are from the 1940s). So, I am guessing the deception happened at least two sales ago as she must have purchased it for 10.00 or less (probably less). Most likely she got it in a box lot at auction as that is where most of her material comes from. I wonder who originally did it and how much they sold it for? I threw all of the materials away so there will be no recurrences of fraud with this item at least.

Alan