PDA

View Full Version : O/T NBA and pre-war baseball

Cozumeleno
12-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Thought some of you might enjoy this (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/12/3/9841638/golden-state-warriors-undefeated-start-20-0-st-louls-maroons) as it compares the Warriors' NBA winning streak to an old pre-war team.

trdcrdkid
12-04-2015, 12:52 PM
I realize the author is just having fun, but the article has some inaccuracies. He says that the St. Louis Maroons "moved to Indianapolis in 1886 and folded in 1888", but in fact the team joined the National League for the 1885 and 1886 seasons, then was bought by a group of Indianapolis investors and moved to Indianapolis for the 1887 season. They played there for three seasons before being bought out by the National League and forced to disband (along with the Washington Senators/Nationals) to make room for Brooklyn and Cincinnati, who jumped to the National League from the American Association for the 1890 season. John T. Brush, the president and principal owner of the Indianapolis team, resisted this move until he was given the right to buy the next National League team that came up for sale, which turned out to be Cincinnati, one of the two teams that had pushed Indianapolis out of the league.

Sorry, I don't mean to go on a rant. I'm just into 19th-century baseball history and don't like to see it glossed over or treated sloppily.

Cozumeleno
12-05-2015, 06:09 AM
I realize the author is just having fun, but the article has some inaccuracies. He says that the St. Louis Maroons "moved to Indianapolis in 1886 and folded in 1888", but in fact the team joined the National League for the 1885 and 1886 seasons, then was bought by a group of Indianapolis investors and moved to Indianapolis for the 1887 season. They played there for three seasons before being bought out by the National League and forced to disband (along with the Washington Senators/Nationals) to make room for Brooklyn and Cincinnati, who jumped to the National League from the American Association for the 1890 season. John T. Brush, the president and principal owner of the Indianapolis team, resisted this move until he was given the right to buy the next National League team that came up for sale, which turned out to be Cincinnati, one of the two teams that had pushed Indianapolis out of the league.

Sorry, I don't mean to go on a rant. I'm just into 19th-century baseball history and don't like to see it glossed over or treated sloppily.

That's awesome (and terrible at the same time). It'd be nice if they had it correct before going to print with it. The Curry/Warriors stuff is so hot that they're trying to find any connection at all for content.

Thanks for the correction - I (like probably 99.9% of their readers on the topic) was completely unaware of that.

Leon
12-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Many of our members routinely correct news items or blog items. Nice research. Maybe you should have written the article? :)