PDA

View Full Version : The daily routine.........Mastro starts prison sentence

Brian Van Horn
12-03-2015, 11:29 AM
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/mastro-begins-prison-sentence-at-pekin-il/

h2oya311
12-03-2015, 11:44 AM

I wonder how people can live that long without Facebook or their cell phones...I'd personally have a hard time going that long without checking out what people are posting on Net54.

Leon
12-05-2015, 05:12 PM

Some would say a sad day for the hobby and some would say a good day. I would say a little of both.

kmac32
12-05-2015, 06:17 PM

OMG he is serving his prison term in my home town. Wonder if I could go home, visit family, and stop by to shoot the shit with Mastro himself?

egbeachley
12-05-2015, 06:42 PM
He has pledged to never work in the sports memorabilia business again. I didn't know that.

Shoeless Moe
12-05-2015, 07:03 PM
10 bucks says his prison uniform is in Legendary's Fall 2017 auction, listed as Chain-Gang Used

vthobby
12-05-2015, 07:43 PM
from an inside source that him and OJ have already met and are working a limited edition game (prison worn) jumpsuit auto for the holiday season. :eek:
:rolleyes::o:D:p;):cool::eek::)

Peace, Mike

Fred
12-05-2015, 08:53 PM
10 bucks says his prison uniform is in Legendary's Fall 2017 auction, listed as Chain-Gang Used

hahahahahahaha.... :p

keithsky
12-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Maybe people should send him some of his previous auction catalogs for him to read to show what kind of a loser he turned out to be when he had the best auction house and most reputable in the hobby to go from that to sitting in a jail cell make him think what he lost. Keith Janosky

Bruinsfan94
12-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Not that bad for all the fraud he committed. I don't know all the details but from that article it sounds like he made millions and then rolled on his friends when it came down on him. Guy gets a cushy mid level prison. Probably won't serve anything close to twenty months in jail. Any lawyers here that can comment on the thing about him never working again in sports collectibles? Is that usual to keep people out of their careers after crimes like this?

Peter_Spaeth
12-06-2015, 11:26 AM
I could be wrong but I don't think that was part of his sentence. He may have made that promise as part of his effort to avoid jail time.

kmac32
12-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Actually being sent to Pekin is a form of punishment in itself. Is one of the smaller thinking towns with absolutely little to do. Will give him time to think about his crime.

BengoughingForAwhile
12-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Actually being sent to Pekin is a form of punishment in itself. Is one of the smaller thinking towns with absolutely little to do. Will give him time to think about his crime.

Maybe he could go watch the Chinks play? er, I mean Dragons. :D

kmac32
12-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Maybe he could go watch the Chinks play? er, I mean Dragons. :D

Hey now, I graduated as a "Chink" and I represent that comment. LOL. :-)

BengoughingForAwhile
12-06-2015, 05:32 PM

Were you around when the Chinks beat the Cobden "Appleknockers" for the Illinois State High School basketball championship? An amazing feat by Cobden to even get to the championship game with an enrollment of around 150, back when Illinois only had a one class system, instead of now where there's 4 state champions and everybody gets a juice box and a ribbon! LOL

kmac32
12-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Were you around when the Chinks beat the Cobden "Appleknockers" for the Illinois State High School basketball championship? An amazing feat by Cobden to even get to the championship game with an enrollment of around 150, back when Illinois only had a one class system, instead of now where there's 4 state champions and everybody gets a juice box and a ribbon! LOL

I graduated from Pekin High in 1978. Went back for approximately 2 years after graduating from veterinary school in 1985. I left in 1987 and have rarely been back. My brother stil lives there and my parents live in Marquette Heights. I remember the big fight over the name in 1974 over how offensive the name was to Chinese Americans and when it change in 1980. Personally I always thought the name was stupid as Pekin has no real connection to Chinese heritage. The name Pekin was supposedly named that as if you went through the center of the earth that you would end up in Peking China. The reality is if you went throught the center of the earth, you would end up in Hong Kong, not Peking.

kmac32
12-06-2015, 06:00 PM

Just looked it up and the game you were talking about was the Illinois high school tournament in 1964. Quite a story for Cobden but I was 4 years old at the time. Those definitely were the glory years for Pekin basketball. We had some good teams in the 70's but nothing like the teams of the 60's.

Paul S
12-06-2015, 06:21 PM

No fair - he's got a better gig than I got.

Mikehealer
12-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Some would say a sad day for the hobby and some would say a good day. I would say a little of both.

I guess the sad part is he didn't get a lot more time and a much larger fine.

ullmandds
12-07-2015, 03:32 PM

and it's sad other fellow collectors won't be receiving any more "gifts" from good old Bill to try to persuade the judge he was/is a model citizen.

esd10
12-07-2015, 04:08 PM
mastro should have went to prison longer than 20 months when people who commit lesser crimes get longer sentences than him.

Joshchisox08
12-07-2015, 04:12 PM
mastro should have went to prison longer than 20 months when people who commit lesser crimes get longer sentences than him.

True story. But those who rob have money. Those who have money can buy lawyers. Lawyers make a difference as sad as it is. Money makes a difference in the judicial system as sad as that is. "Justice" is not and should not be claimed to have happened nor ever happened in a court room. They heard you in like cattle and get you out just as fast. They give ZERO shits about the situation only getting it over with.

Just my two cents. Lawyers on this board tell me I'm wrong I'm sure you would or could but I have ZERO RESPECT for lawyers aka whores.

Paid to lie for money, just the same.

Peter_Spaeth
12-07-2015, 04:17 PM
True story. But those who rob have money. Those who have money can buy lawyers. Lawyers make a difference as sad as it is. Money makes a difference in the judicial system as sad as that is. "Justice" is not and should not be claimed to have happened nor ever happened in a court room. They heard you in like cattle and get you out just as fast. They give ZERO shits about the situation only getting it over with.

Just my two cents. Lawyers on this board tell me I'm wrong I'm sure you would or could but I have ZERO RESPECT for lawyers aka whores.

Do you have any clue wtf you are talking about? Good lord.

bnorth
12-07-2015, 04:23 PM

and it's sad other fellow collectors won't be receiving any more "gifts" from good old Bill to try to persuade the judge he was/is a model citizen.

A BIG +1

I would assume getting a gift was better than him turning on you like he done with others that considered him a friend. Not much worse in life that a POS turning in their friends to get a lighter sentence. Hopefully he is the new play toy.

Exhibitman
12-07-2015, 06:33 PM

Were the fat kids called "Chunks"?

slidekellyslide
12-07-2015, 07:15 PM

I think you just pissed off about half of this board's membership.

vintagebaseballcardguy
12-07-2015, 07:24 PM

Yowzer! The line forms to the left...

Peter_Spaeth
12-07-2015, 07:38 PM

Nah, nobody cares what a moron like that thinks. :D

ALR-bishop
12-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Was he being serious ? I mistook his comments for a Jack Handey Deep Thought

Peter_Spaeth
12-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Was he being serious ? I mistook his comments for a Jack Handey Deep Thought

Yowzer! :D

Bliggity
12-07-2015, 09:11 PM
I have ZERO RESPECT for lawyers aka whores.

Ah yes, lessons in morality from the guy with a reputation for using slurs against homosexuals and people with disabilities in his posts. I'll pass.

Signed,
A lawyer whore.

Peter_Spaeth
12-07-2015, 09:19 PM
"Lawyer whore" is redundant. :D

Bliggity
12-07-2015, 09:22 PM

Well, we are certainly known for using more words than are necessary. :D

Peter_Spaeth
12-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Well, we are certainly known for using more words than are necessary. :D

That's because we were once paid by the word. :D

kmac32
12-07-2015, 10:30 PM
Were the fat kids called "Chunks"?

Only the fat ones with slanted eyes Adam.

oldjudge
12-07-2015, 11:02 PM

You should be thankful that butchering the English language is not a crime punishable with prison time.

Joshchisox08
12-08-2015, 05:21 AM

Glad I did.

Joshchisox08
12-08-2015, 05:24 AM

I don't know how I could be more clear. Should I take it slower for you?

Paul S
12-08-2015, 05:47 AM

A lawyer AND a whore?! Cool:cool: - I'd like to date her.

Peter_Spaeth
12-08-2015, 05:58 AM
You should be thankful that butchering the English language is not a crime punishable with prison time.

Now that's funny.

Bruinsfan94
12-08-2015, 06:05 AM

So if you are ever wrongly accused of a crime who do you plan to call?

Peter_Spaeth
12-08-2015, 06:05 AM

Your idiotic babble would be the same at any speed.

Joshchisox08
12-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Your idiotic babble would be the same at any speed.

Idiotic babble which was not denied by you........................

You're paid to lie at all costs. That deserves respect? Regardless the worst type is no doubt a family lawyer you truly have to have no soul or feelings for other human beings if you're taking money and purposely keeping a parent from their child.

Oh I forgot that's idiotic babble :)

Joshchisox08
12-08-2015, 06:44 AM

Nobody who can afford to pay the ridiculous attorney fees? I speak primarily of the "family" lawyer and the injustice in that realm of court more so than a criminal sector anyway.

The family court and attorneys flat out give zero $h!ts about the best interest for anyone. Though the paint a pretty picture and say they do.

Snapolit1
12-08-2015, 06:55 AM
Everyone has a problem with aggressive lawyers until they or their family member needs one. A lawyer who lies regularly, particularly to courts, will have a very short, very unpleasant career. As a lawyer your credibility is first and foremost your currency. If you push it too far or blatantly ignore ethical rules you will sooner or later get your comeuppance in a big way. Just like you can't BS people for long selling cards at a high level, you can't as a lawyer. The system is unfair in that better lawyers cost more money and are unavailable to many people. I've been involved in death row cases and the level of incompetent lawyering in some of these cases is mind boggling.

Peter_Spaeth
12-08-2015, 07:02 AM
Nobody who can afford to pay the ridiculous attorney fees? I speak primarily of the "family" lawyer and the injustice in that realm of court more so than a criminal sector anyway.

The family court and attorneys flat out give zero $h!ts about the best interest for anyone. Though the paint a pretty picture and say they do.

Do you think it's easy for a family court judge to decide which parent should get custody or how visitation should be allocated or related financial issues? I am sure in overwhelming part they do the best they can on the record before them. And nobody who loses, or isn't satisfied with the results, ever feels he or she got a fair shake.

Donscards
12-08-2015, 07:07 AM
Lets get back to Bill Mastro and what a piece of work he is---I remember standing next to him at a dealers table 20 some years ago and another collector came up to me not knowing Mastro and started talking about the T206 Wagner on how it was oversized and when it came back from psa, it was the correct size----Mastro was steaming listening and wanted to go outside with this older fellow---they didn't go outside, but I would have put my money on the old guy!

Joshchisox08
12-08-2015, 07:11 AM
Do you think it's easy for a family court judge to decide which parent should get custody or how visitation should be allocated or related financial issues? I am sure in overwhelming part they do the best they can on the record before them. And nobody who loses, or isn't satisfied with the results, ever feels he or she got a fair shake.

Perhaps it's just my state then. Lawyers as well as members of the court repeatedly told me I had ZERO chance because of the age of a child and well I'm a male and or "Parent B". They claimed that even though the mother involved was a violent sociopath that it "didn't matter". The police were never involved therefore it is all hearsay.

So in other words even though a child could be in the wrong environment, and with a toxic human being a judge wouldn't care based strictly off a biased opinion of the sex of the parents.

NOW THAT IS JUSTICE !!!

Peter_Spaeth
12-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Perhaps it's just my state then. Lawyers as well as members of the court repeatedly told me I had ZERO chance because of the age of a child and well I'm a male and or "Parent B". They claimed that even though the mother involved was a violent sociopath that it "didn't matter". The police were never involved therefore it is all hearsay.

So in other words even though a child could be in the wrong environment, and with a toxic human being a judge wouldn't care based strictly off a biased opinion of the sex of the parents.

NOW THAT IS JUSTICE !!!

Well if you witnessed something it wouldn't be hearsay, but in any event it's hard to comment on your specific case. I am not surprised if there is a presumption in favor of a mother where a young child is involved, but I very much doubt any judge would simply not care about the circumstances of a particular case. It may be that for whatever reason the judge was not convinced about the violent sociopath/toxic environment. When it's he said/she said with people who are enemies, and there isn't any objective evidence, it can be hard to know who to believe.

Joshchisox08
12-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Well if you witnessed something it wouldn't be hearsay, but in any event it's hard to comment on your specific case. I am not surprised if there is a presumption in favor of a mother where a young child is involved, but I very much doubt any judge would simply not care about the circumstances of a particular case. It may be that for whatever reason the judge was not convinced about the violent sociopath/toxic environment. When it's he said/she said with people who are enemies, and there isn't any objective evidence, it can be hard to know who to believe.

Witnessed ????? Oh no no no no. I was the victim I had evidence in forms of photography from being physically hit and it happened in front of the child. These were cuts/bruises/hair ripped out. They all said it didn't matter.

Like I said perhaps it's my state. 2 different lawyers and 2 different mediators who were also lawyers told me that none of what I said (trust me there's a whole lot more) mattered in the eyes of the court.

Peter_Spaeth
12-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Witnessed ????? Oh no no no no. I was the victim I had evidence in forms of photography from being physically hit and it happened in front of the child. These were cuts/bruises/hair ripped out. They all said it didn't matter.

And you presented this evidence to the court?

Joshchisox08
12-08-2015, 07:40 AM
And you presented this evidence to the court?

I didn't. I had no lawyer couldn't afford one I had already got suckered into paying for child support and daycare.

The mediator/lawyer did his best to convince me to settle stating that if I made a trial out of the ordeal that I would end up with even less custody of my son.

Stonepony
12-08-2015, 07:56 AM
This has become the worst thread ever :(

ALR-bishop
12-08-2015, 07:56 AM
In most contentious cases there are two lawyers hearing completely opposite sides of the same story. Believe it or not, both sides usually think they are absolutely right. And the losing side always feels like an injustice was done

If things work right the issue is decided by an impartial judge and or jury rather than a homicide or kidnapping.

And this thread is no worse than it's related predecessors :-)

ls7plus
12-08-2015, 06:46 PM

+1 into infinity. Certainly justice is not done in every case--no system in the world is perfect, but apparently Josh is unaware that he is living in the best one by a country mile! Never assume, for example, that you are truly presumed innocent when a defendant in a criminal action. The good part of our system, however, is that if affords an opportunity to prove one's innocence. And certainly Josh is correct insofar as the fact that when a lot of money is at stake in a civil action, some "lawyers" don't hesitate to throw morals and ethics out the window. These "representatives" of our profession limit themselves only to what they feel they can get away with. I see that all the time as an appellate attorney, especially dealing with six and seven-figure cases, when the well-heeled defendant's counsel writes 30-40 pages of pure BS in his brief, playing it fast and loose with the facts, law, or both. I call those "beat me, beat me" briefs, smile, and go about doing just that, thoroughly exposing and dismantling them in my reply. What usually happens next is the appellate panel of judges cross-examines the s__t out of the offender at oral argument.

Larry A. Smith

sbfinley
12-08-2015, 08:42 PM
"Lawyers are the worst. I was once contacted by the lawyer of a-hole board member who was slandering me with their own slander accusation. You'd think there would have been a conflict of interest considering the lawyer was also my lawyer. Nope, the slime ball just moved forward with the issue and played both sides. Every time I met with the lawyer he just stared at me dumbfounded. I think he was in the other guy's pocket. It was a horrible mess, took months settle." - Archive

bdk1976
12-08-2015, 10:03 PM
No comment on lawyers, but this Archive character is sure a dumbass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Dunaier
12-09-2015, 02:56 PM

Ghostbusters! :D