PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Dumouchelle auction --Book collector interest

bgar3
11-29-2015, 08:26 AM
In 1991 at Dumouchelle auctions in Detroit, there was a legendary auction of baseball books. While not well advertised, some insiders, not me, knew of it and got some incredible books at relative bargains even though the bids exceeded the ridiculously low estimates by a wide margin. Long time hobbyists like Lew Lipset, say that it was well known that the older items in the sale originated with the Chadwick family, but the auction catalogue only states, "from a prominent Detroit family".
I finally found a copy of the hard to find auction catalogue. The descriptions are not at all detailed, unfortunately, but there are some exceptional books. Two are specifically described as having Chadwick connections, an autographed copy of
the 1860 Beadle's DimeBase Ball Player which was sold by REA a few years ago, and a copy of Ward's Base-Ball inscribed by Ward to Chadwick. Other books may have had other evidence of Chadwick connections that were not deemed worthy of mention. Another item of special note was "1871-1873 Diary of Charles Wright, son of Henry Wright, owner of the red Stocking Ball Club". I had never heard of this and wonder if anyone knows here it is? It is too hard to list them all, but the earliest item was a 1859 Tri-Mountain and Portland clubs scorecard, framed, done in pen, ink, watercolor and engraved with a silk woven ribbon depicting a baseball game.
If anyone has any specific questions about listings, let me know and I will forward whatever is available.
I would also like to hear stories from anyone who attended, or has something from the sale, or has any information about it. It really was an historic event and I hope there are some good stories.

Leon
11-30-2015, 06:37 AM
I have heard stories of that sale and think a friend or two attended it.

bgar3
11-30-2015, 06:52 AM
I would love to hear some of the stories and/or hear about any books they may have won. Despite the incredible, real books, there was a t206 Wagner, pictured on the cover, that was clearly a reprint. Obviously not Chadwick's. An issue of Old Judge has a very good 3 page review of the sale, with some prices realized.

CarltonHendricks
11-30-2015, 11:54 AM
I didn't bid or attend but I remember that auction...As I recall I learned about it by a print ad in some antiques journal or maybe SCD...This was before the internet was prevalent...it seems like there was also memorabilia other than books...I recall a friend who was well connected then said as much, that all the advanced collectors were heading for Detroit...and everbody that was anybody knew about it...It was important enough that I always knew who Dumouchelle auctions was after that...If you could post some photos of the catalog that would be great!

bgar3
11-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Carleton, the descriptions and photos are not great, there is a small photo of a baseball player and a football player statues that you might be interested in. I will send a scan to you if you pm me your email, sorry I do not have my own scanner and use a local library.

baseballart
12-01-2015, 09:36 AM
I have a copy of the auction catalogue (such as it was) and a price realized list. It's buried somewhere , but send me an email at baseballart@gmail.com and I'll pdf you a copy when I dig it out.

As I recall, aside from the signed items, many of the books would be selling for less today then they did in 1991. Oh, the humanity of it all.

M

CarltonHendricks
12-01-2015, 02:09 PM
I have a copy of the auction catalogue (such as it was) and a price realized list. It's buried somewhere , but send me an email at baseballart@gmail.com and I'll pdf you a copy when I dig it out.

As I recall, aside from the signed items, many of the books would be selling for less today then they did in 1991. Oh, the humanity of it all.

M

Max, When you say the books would sell for less today...Would that be because of eBay?...i.e. stuff considered rare before eBay...came out of attics and more plentiful eBay?...

baseballart
12-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Carlton

Yes, eBay is one factor,probably the main one, books that some thoughtswere rare show up with frequency,

some booksellers on sites like www.abebooks.com have had books for sale for fifteen years at outrageous prices,

There is also the factor of fewer collectors of baseball books.

slidekellyslide
12-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Speaking of former baseball book collectors, where is Barry Sloate? and why did he stop posting?

bigtrain
12-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Barry wrote a great article on Baseball Books about 20 years ago that I still refer to all the time.

Hot Springs Bathers
12-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Where was that article written Tom?

bgar3
12-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Barry! Great article is in issue #3 Sept 1995 Vintage and Classic Baseball Collector, and Max has a great article in the winter 2010 issue Collector magazine.

jcmtiger
12-04-2015, 12:26 PM
I was at the auction, if I remember there were many baseball books. I went there for the signed letter from Ty Cobb. Was lucky enough to win it.

They still have their auctions and some do have baseball items.

Joe

Hot Springs Bathers
12-04-2015, 01:53 PM
I will go to my VCBC stack tonight!