PDA

View Full Version : What is the one card

Snapolit1
11-29-2015, 07:31 AM
You will look back in 5 years and say "IN 2015 YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT FOR A FEW THOUSAND DOLLARS!"

JustinD
11-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Totally not an answer for the prewar section but if I had the extra cash to devote I would be stocking up on 1984-85 Star 101 Jordans. I see those breaking the 10k mark within far less than 5 years. They are already building at a good pace.

The other card that will be skyrocketing in a few years is modern too. I see high grade Chipper Jones Desert Shield cards tripling in 2018 for his HOF election. The investors are just starting to get to that one. It would be a short window, but dumping them then could bring a nice profit.

Prewar has investment too, but it really goes on trends and I find very hard to predict. For everything that I can say I remember when I could get it for a few thousand there are just as many that I say the same thing for in reverse, meaning it sells for less than it used to.

That's why I buy what I like and the future be damned.

Snapolit1
11-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Justin - thx. Interesting ideas.

Collect what you like indeed. I'm strictly a vintage collector so the Chippers of the world don't ring my bell at all but great player. Killed my Mets a few 100 times.

Thing that strikes me as odd about the Jordans of the world is that there were so many cards, so many series. I have a buddy who used to buy tons of them off of TV shows. Holographic foreign language Jordans. I kid you not. He gave me a whole collection of them, all grade 10, and all basically valueless. I can see why Satchel Paige cards are worth a mint. There ain't many of them. But why one Jordan card is worth a mint and the next one not wprth putting in an envelope and selling to someone for a few bucks I will never be able to decipher.

Other thing about the newer cards is I assume the real universe of them is so unknown.

pokerplyr80
11-29-2015, 02:06 PM
I'm hoping the 1925 Exhibit Gehrig RC is that card. I think it has as good a chance as any right now. For a modern card I like the orange border Cal Ripken minor league pre-rookie.

pawpawdiv9
11-29-2015, 02:43 PM
I'm hoping the 1925 Exhibit Gehrig RC is that card. I think it has as good a chance as any right now. For a modern card I like the orange border Cal Ripken minor league pre-rookie.

Either one of the Gehrig RC's, the Exhibit or w590 to the Goudeys . we saw the outragous price on that nice 2 in auction, was like 12k
As for the Orange Cal, its already considered the modern whale, love the much scarcer version indeed ;)
But theres other forms, like the Frank Thomas NNO that fetch good $ on pwcc near 2k (psa8) and a Bgs 8.5 for 2075 sold

iwantitiwinit
11-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Tiger Woods Rookie, that baby is gonna skyrocket when he makes his big comeback. I smell a string of 8 majors in a row coming.

MetsBaseball1973
11-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Count me with those who believe the Gehrig rookie 1925 exhibit card will be the next hobby "it" card. Very low pop but enough to start circulating after that Heritage sale. Additionally he's always been the name on people's tongues right after The Babe. Player stats boggle the mind and he also has the cultural icon status. Perfect storm.

Leon
12-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Count me with those who believe the Gehrig rookie 1925 exhibit card will be the next hobby "it" card. Very low pop but enough to start circulating after that Heritage sale. Additionally he's always been the name on people's tongues right after The Babe. Player stats boggle the mind and he also has the cultural icon status. Perfect storm.

From the looks of the last few sales that boat might have left the dock (on getting one for less than an arm and a leg). Great card though and an early raw card I bought as NM-MT and came back EX+ then I think eventually ended up in some TPG's 6 holder. Good ole Hal bought mine back in the day.

bobbvc
12-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Baseball Bats Wagner

sycks22
12-02-2015, 07:49 PM
A 55 cello pack with a Clemente and Mays in it ;)

irishdenny
12-02-2015, 08:05 PM
E90-1's...

Yoda
12-03-2015, 01:46 PM
I think it will definitely be the E90-1 Cy Young Boston, the rare and elusive football helmet variation card. I do know somebody who has one. Ha!

mybuddyinc
12-03-2015, 06:05 PM
E90-1's...

... ;)

clydepepper
12-03-2015, 10:00 PM
...(only) 'A FEW THOUSAND DOLLARS'?

That's so 2014
But, I guess if you push, I'll say a 'Black Swamp' card.

pokerplyr80
12-03-2015, 10:44 PM
From the looks of the last few sales that boat might have left the dock (on getting one for less than an arm and a leg). Great card though and an early raw card I bought as NM-MT and came back EX+ then I think eventually ended up in some TPG's 6 holder. Good ole Hal bought mine back in the day.

There's a hammered one that's been up on ebay forever that you could probably get for a little under 4k. That might seem like a bargain in a few years. But yea that 6 would be a nice one to have right now. If a 2 went for 12k that could be a 30-50k card in the right auction.

ls7plus
12-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Totally not an answer for the prewar section but if I had the extra cash to devote I would be stocking up on 1984-85 Star 101 Jordans. I see those breaking the 10k mark within far less than 5 years. They are already building at a good pace.

The other card that will be skyrocketing in a few years is modern too. I see high grade Chipper Jones Desert Shield cards tripling in 2018 for his HOF election. The investors are just starting to get to that one. It would be a short window, but dumping them then could bring a nice profit.

Prewar has investment too, but it really goes on trends and I find very hard to predict. For everything that I can say I remember when I could get it for a few thousand there are just as many that I say the same thing for in reverse, meaning it sells for less than it used to.

That's why I buy what I like and the future be damned.

That first idea is not so good. They were still printing the '84-85 Jordans in the '90's, which is why PSA won't grade them. Our guess at the time was that of the original print run of 4,000, 14,000 or so were still around in NrMt-Mt or better, a hardly likely scenario for cards originally distributed at NBA arenas to kids and non-collectors. They were prevalent, and one dealer even had the audacity to claim exclusivity almost a decade after the initial print run.

I do like the Desert Shield Chipper Jones--6700 print run or so, and most (although not nearly all) actually went overseas, where they were roughly handled. Get one in NrMt-Mt TPG or better, and you'll do fine, even in the long run.

Larry A. Smith

ls7plus
12-04-2015, 06:22 PM

Might be too late on the '25 Exhibit Gehrig--one in SGC VG popped up on one of my ebay saved searches, and the BIN was $25K.

Happy Collecting,

Larry

pawpawdiv9
12-05-2015, 11:58 AM
I saw that one as well...i was hoping he mis-listed it and put 2500 instead of 25k.
707 still has his, but will only come off 100 for the B/Offer. But with those projected prices, its a steal for the future to decide.

ls7plus
12-05-2015, 01:45 PM
I saw that one as well...i was hoping he mis-listed it and put 2500 instead of 25k.
707 still has his, but will only come off 100 for the B/Offer. But with those projected prices, its a steal for the future to decide.

I think an Ex would have to get to $100K+ for Levi's to be worth what he's asking, which is perhaps a slight exaggeration, but only slight. On the other hand, if transparent restoration becomes acceptable and his example is restorable (which I personally doubt, with all the material on the front that is missing), it might be worth the gamble. It is definitely a key card, with probably less than 100 total out there.

Good post--keeping thinking with regard to being on the cutting, rather than the trailing, edge of the market (the former will be a lot cheaper if your bets are placed right)!

Larry

Wayne
12-07-2015, 05:21 PM
I would say any player on the 1919 Whitesox cards will start going up in value that the 100 year mark is just around the corner.

Of course some of these would have to grade pretty high now but I really think you could double or triple your money if you buy now and sell later.

Although I have been wrong before.

aljurgela
12-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Personally I am still a firm believer in the Negro League HOFers. Virtually all players pre-1930 have less than 25 examples of all of their cards and many can be had for "merely" a few thousand dollars.

Leon
12-09-2015, 11:57 AM
about 8 yrs ago I was runner up on a beautiful '52 Mick in a 4-5 holder.....wish I had that to do over again

ls7plus
12-09-2015, 02:54 PM
You will look back in 5 years and say "IN 2015 YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT FOR A FEW THOUSAND DOLLARS!"

I just got mine this fall.

Good, thoughtful post,

Larry

glchen
12-09-2015, 03:41 PM
I think that there are some 19th century cards that are low now, which will make a nice come back in a few years.

joeadcock
12-09-2015, 05:00 PM
E107 HOF's and higher grade

sreader3
12-09-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm gonna perhaps go against the grain a little and say T206 Cobbs and 1933 Goudey Ruths in PSA/SGC 4 and higher will be > $10K soon. They are not that scarce but have been skyrocketing in the last couple of years. Pricing is a function of supply and demand but collectors (including me) have a tendency to weigh scarcity too heavily when thinking about vintage card pricing/investment potential.

insidethewrapper
12-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Years ago I needed just 1 card to complete my 1952 Topps Set. The card was # 311 Mickey Mantle in Ex + shape for $ 500. At the time this was a high price. Wish I could have seen into the future ? I can still see it sitting inside a showcase at a show.

Snapolit1
12-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Interesting point on weighing scarcity too heavily. There are cards I've seen when total graded pop is under 50 and there isn't great demand for them. Then you get the 54 Mantles and based on the rapidly escalating craziness you would think there were 25 of those, and that's far from the truth. I guess it's the old adage "a thing is worth what the market says its worth".

DeanH3
12-10-2015, 12:04 PM
I'm gonna perhaps go against the grain a little and say T206 Cobbs and 1933 Goudey Ruths in PSA/SGC 4 and higher will be > $10K soon. They are not that scarce but have been skyrocketing in the last couple of years. Pricing is a function of supply and demand but collectors (including me) have a tendency to weigh scarcity too heavily when thinking about vintage card pricing/investment potential.

I'm guilty of this was well. Could end up a card's scarcity/rarity may hurt its value. Not enough of them come up for sale to start a rush on demand.

Leon
12-11-2015, 07:10 AM
I'm guilty of this was well. Could end up a card's scarcity/rarity may hurt its value. Not enough of them come up for sale to start a rush on demand.

The story of my life in collecting...

sreader3
08-22-2017, 08:02 PM

20 months later . . . .

Cobb (Green) PSA 4 = $10,100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Ty-Cobb-PSA-4-Green-Portrait-VGEX-looks-better-than-most-PSA-5s-Pied-150-25/142475315073?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

ajjohnsonsoxfan
08-22-2017, 09:29 PM
The Gehrig exhibit call out was pretty smart. What's next?

sreader3
08-22-2017, 10:13 PM

33 Goudey Gehrigs have been on fire lately too . . .

orly57
08-22-2017, 10:52 PM

That's the post I referred to recently (in the "Best investment in 5 years" thread) where I mentioned an old post that convinced me to buy the 25 Gehrig! I was on the fence for weeks and reading that post was the final little shove I needed.
Thanks Jessie!!!!!

ajjohnsonsoxfan
08-23-2017, 12:14 AM
Yeah Jesse called that one. nice work there. Just wish I had read it back then... :-(