PDA

View Full Version : Boston Base Ball Pocket Game Question

aelefson
11-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Hi-
I recently found this small game board with spinner scanned below at an antique shop. The game is titled Boston Base Ball and it has a patent date of January 30th 1906. My main question about the game is what if anything is printed below the white sticker at the top right corner of the game's front side? My guess is it has box outlines for innings and runs for each team and maybe the white sticker was to provide an easier surface to play multiple times (and thus erase multiple times as well). Another question, did this company make any other sports games?

Alan

Butch7999
11-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Hi Alan -- that was a good smart guess, but the answer is... there's nothing behind that white sticker!
The sticker may in fact have been original to the game, for just the purpose you surmise.
Twenty-five years we've been collecting and researching tabletop baseball games, and we saw this one for the first time
only six months ago in a Heritage auction. That one wasn't in nearly as nice a condition as yours, but there's no white sticker
in the upper right corner. There is some paper loss there, though, so perhaps the sticker was there and was pulled off...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/Butch799/objects/bbBostonBaseBallMU06bE_zpst8liaisk.jpg~original

Ah! [dope-slap] We just now read the rules on the back. Check the last line. There ya go.

To your second question, we have no record of any other sports-themed game (which is all we really track) produced by
Boston Game Co. It's possible, of course, that the company made other games or novelties with a non-sports theme,
but a cursory check of our basic sources reveals nothing else of any sort by that outfit.

aelefson
11-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Thanks Butch! I should have read the rules a little closer. The one in Heritage is in rough shape (at least compared to mine). I was surprised by the price (I got mine for 10 dollars) in Heritage for the beat up copy but I assume it is because it is rare.

Thanks again,
Alan