PDA

View Full Version : '81 Dodgers World Series Ball

coachphil
11-25-2015, 01:04 PM
Can anyone help me identify the two signatures on this panel? I have no problem with Burt Hooton and Dusty Baker, but who are the other two? I'm pretty sure they are not on the Dodgers' roster nor are they coaches.

batsballsbases
11-25-2015, 01:16 PM
Looks to me to be Steve Shirley, and Jose Morales both were with the dodgers in 1982..

bobfreedman
11-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Steve Shirley and Rick Monday(?)

coachphil
11-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the input. Steve Shirley sure sound right. Same with Jose Morales. Interesting that two guys who don't show up until the next year would be be on that ball.

I know it's not Rick Monday. He's already on another panel of same ball. His hand is pretty distinctive.

batsballsbases
11-25-2015, 05:47 PM
No problem Glad I could help. I knew it wasnt Rick Monday as he does have an easy signature to read. Its possible that the Dodgers had alot of extra baseballs left from the World Series and maybe they used them at the start of spring training and the guys signed them then. Would make some sense as shirley was only there in 82..

coachphil
11-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Steve Shirley has got to be right. He was likely in the clubhouse for the WS, although no record of him getting a cup or coffee after the year in Albuquerque. As the for the other one. Jose Morales would be the obvious choice but his auto doesn't look anything like what we see here. But thanks for the input.

coachphil
11-25-2015, 05:51 PM
Your comment about the following spring makes even more sense. But where it's signed would indicate that it was signed just before Dusty Baker signed. It's that last sig. that has me baffled.

batsballsbases
11-25-2015, 05:59 PM
You can never rule out that some of these balls were signed later than is thought. Just think a show promoter does a reunion show but has a case of these world series balls, gets all the guys to sign them and maybe a few other players just put there sigs on them also. I dont think there could be someone else other than Morales with that J and M so prominent in the dodgers. But he was there in 82 which would make more sense that it was signed in spring training...

roarfrom34
11-26-2015, 06:04 PM
that is definitely Morales