PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Find -May (strip cards)

pawpawdiv9
11-18-2015, 01:38 PM
I read this over at Beckett, and couldnt find it posted here anywhere. Thought it be interesting to read. Please delete, Leon, if this been posted before.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2015/05/baseball_card_treasure_chest.html

Jersey City man finds century-old baseball card treasure inside wall of home PHOTOS in LINK

JERSEY CITY -- Trying to get rid of a family of raccoons living in a crawl space in his home, a city man says he came across what he hopes is the treasure find of a lifetime.

Drenched in sweat and sucking in dust, Rafael Torres was at wit's end one day last week attempting to locate the group of critters whose cries had antagonized him and his family for weeks.

Then bad went to worse. The 34-year-old's cell phone fell through a crevasse and lodged behind a drywall in his Greenville Avenue apartment. There was only one way to get to it -- cut a hole in the wall of his daughter's bedroom and pull it out.

But the story has a happy ending. Besides finding the dusty cell phone, Torres pulled out what experts say are thousands of dollars worth of nearly century-old baseball cards.

"When I cut the hole open immediately all this paper starts pouring out and I am like 'what is all this stuff?' so I grab a garbage can and I start shoveling all this stuff into the garbage," said Torres, who has lived in the apartment for 3 months. "But then something caught the corner of my eye. It was a piece of paper that said 'Babe.' "

"So we immediately start dumping everything out of the garbage," said Torres. "We start pulling out Babe Ruth cards and other baseball cards and celebrity cards. It was crazy!"

In all, Torres recovered 262 "strip" cards from the drywall in his daughter's bedroom, almost all of them printed from 1920 to 1923.

"I guess some kid just put them in the wall a long time ago and then forgot about them," said Torres.

Along with five Babe Ruth baseball cards, Torres found cards depicting other Hall of Famers like Casey Stengel, George Sisler, Ty Cobb, and many others.

There were also cards of famous boxers like Jack Dempsey and Jess Willard, presidents including Abraham Lincoln and George Washington, and Hollywood celebrities of the twenties like Diana Mayo, Pauline Curly, Harold Lloyd, and Hoot Gibson.

Most of the cards -- 1.5-by-2 inches -- were printed by the Decalco Litho Co. in Hoboken, and kids would cut out the cards from an uncut sheet, said Leighton Sheldon, owner of Justcollect.com, a company based in Somerset that buys and sells vintage card collections.

One of the Babe Ruth cards in Torres' newfound collection -- an unnumbered card from 1920 -- is worth $1,500, Sheldon said. The other Ruth cards could fetch a few hundred dollars each, considering their condition.

"The 1920 card has more value because its one of the first cards in which Ruth is pictured in a Yankees' uniform," said Sheldon, who lives in Hoboken. Ruth was traded from the Red Sox to the Yankees in December 1919 in the most infamous trade in baseball history.

Sheldon said the total collection could fetch "a few thousand dollars. ... The cards are not super rare, but they also are not easy to find." Sheldon also noted that the cards of players not in the Hall of Fame tend to sell for from $10 to $30 dollars apiece.

While Sheldon gave a conservative estimate of the value of the cards -- some are in rough shape -- people selling smilar cards on auction sites like eBay are asking for as much as $500 for Hall of Fame players like Sisler.

Torres is waiting contact with art auction house Sotheby's to see how much the cards might be worth. He says he has already received offers from local collectors, including one man who offered to purchase the five Babe Ruth cards for $5,000.

"When I found them it was like hitting the lottery," says Torres, who works at a trucking company in Bayonne.

Uncovering this small treasure couldn't have happened at a better time, Torres said. The married father of four says he grew up in Florida and moved to Jersey City for a "change of scenery," but now is ready for another change.

"With me, finding these cards it's like a blessing because it's like God put them there for me so I can get out of this place," said Torres, who hopes to make enough from the sale of the cards to move back to Florida and start a landscaping business with his father.

"This could be life-changing for me," says Torres. "I would love to get six figures for them. I'm just hopeful that a collector out there will give me what they are worth."

Leon
11-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Interesting article. It's sort of perplexing that whomever it was writing the article seemed to think they are more valuable than Leighton had estimated. The few figures thrown out seem about right to me, but what do I know too? I love to hear about new to the hobby pre-wwII card finds. Thanks for posting it.

glchen
11-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Neat find, but definitely not worth 6 figures. The 5 Ruth's aren't worth $5000 either although I think the W519 Ruth probably went around $1000. It looks like just collect probably purchased the collection or took it on consignment. Here's the W551 Ruth that sold recently: Link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-W551-Babe-Ruth-Yankees-PSA-Authentic-560860-/351551148236)

z28jd
11-18-2015, 02:20 PM
Neat find, but definitely not worth 6 figures. The 5 Ruth's aren't worth $5000 either although I think the W519 Ruth probably went around $1000. It looks like just collect probably purchased the collection or took it on consignment. Here's the W551 Ruth that sold recently: Link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-W551-Babe-Ruth-Yankees-PSA-Authentic-560860-/351551148236)

They sold three of the Ruths for $942.50 total. They also sold ten of the HOF card including a Cobb, plus four commons and they didn't do so well, getting about $400 total

Jobu
11-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Torres might not count his eggs before they are hatched, no matter how many chickens are going to come out. He rents that apartment and may have to answer to a landlord who might be unhappy that he ripped it apart (and who I would think is also the legal owner of those cards).

bnorth
11-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Torres might not count his eggs before they are hatched, no matter how many chickens are going to come out. He rents that apartment and may have to answer to a landlord who might be unhappy that he ripped it apart (and who I would think is also the legal owner of those cards).

+1 How does a renter think that the cards are theirs?

iwantitiwinit
11-18-2015, 03:31 PM
+1 How does a renter think that the cards are theirs?

You're probably right, he's going to have to refund the money and pay for the wall. Hope the cell phone was worth it.

Boccabella
11-19-2015, 07:18 AM
You can see pictures of the cards here: http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/national-15-news-and-notes-friday-edition/

Just_Collect
11-19-2015, 09:59 AM
http://www.justcollect.com/blog/the-hole-in-the-wall-collection

The story behind the cards was interesting but everything was low grade from the collection. One of the coolest facts from the story is that one of the companies that produced the cards, the Decalco Litho Co., was right next door in Hoboken in the early 1920's! I currently live in Hoboken which makes this collection even more fun for us. We are going to donate a few of the cards produced by the Decalco Litho Co. to the Hoboken Historical Museum (which is right across the street from me!).

Regards,
Leighton
www.justcollect.com (http://www.justcollect.com/)

mrmopar
11-20-2015, 06:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing about this being an apartment, but then again that might mean something different on the East Coast or in certain cases. Here in the West, you'd typically rent an apartment and thus wouldn't own anything you within the structure you didn't bring with you when you moved in.

obcbobd
11-21-2015, 08:26 AM
I was thinking the same thing about this being an apartment, but then again that might mean something different on the East Coast or in certain cases. Here in the West, you'd typically rent an apartment and thus wouldn't own anything you within the structure you didn't bring with you when you moved in.

Same on the east coast! If his landlord is reading that article, I imagine he would have quite a bit of explaining to do.

Bruinsfan94
11-21-2015, 01:00 PM
I don't understand all the talk about renting. One of the articles says hes the homeowner. I would assume that they ether misspoke when it said apartment or he is the owner. It said he was doing work so I assume he is the owner.

Cozumeleno
11-21-2015, 02:20 PM
I don't understand all the talk about renting. One of the articles says hes the homeowner. I would assume that they ether misspoke when it said apartment or he is the owner. It said he was doing work so I assume he is the owner.

It's a little conflicting. When they say 'his home', it could just mean the place where he lives. You can call an apartment your home without literally meaning you own the home. The article first mentioned in the original post says his apartment - those are the key words to me.

He either rents the apartment or perhaps he lives in an apartment in a building he owns/rents. It's pretty clear that there is an apartment involved in some fashion.

Personally, I'd guess that he owns the building. I can't imagine that going public with this, a sale going through, etc. without someone mentioning that to him.

JustinD
11-22-2015, 07:56 AM
I would think the seller will be very lucky to get 5k before the consignment cut for every last one. If he walks away with 4k after all is said and done it would be a good job done by the justcollect folks.

If he was smart he should have jumped on that 5k offer for the Ruths.

Six figures is lunacy.