PDA

View Full Version : T216 Kotton - The Meaning of "Never Go Out"

Jobu
11-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Steve (brass rat) and I were discussing T216 Kotton cards and got to the slogan "Never Go Out" and what it might mean. I really like the slogan because, after living in New Orleans for a decade, all we did was "go out" (note: I know the slogan has nothing to do with this).

We ended up with a few options. I always assumed it referred to #1 and Steve assumed #2. What do you guys think? Does anyone actually know the answer?

"Never Go Out" as in:

1) the smokes never go out (i.e., they stay lit)

2) never run out of Kotton cigarettes

3) if you have a pack of Kottons at your house you never need to go out

Leon
11-16-2015, 09:34 AM
Two guesses.....It could mean 2) "Never Run Out" or maybe "Never Go Without" ....

packs
11-16-2015, 09:43 AM
It means that the cigarettes won't be blown out by the wind. Rolling tobacco is meant to stay lit, because while you're smoking outside it gets windy. If your cigarette is constantly going out, you're going to be annoyed, especially if you're using matches to smoke. "Never Go Out" implies you only need one match.

mybuddyinc
11-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Got to go with this:

1) the smokes never go out (i.e., they stay lit)

I roll my owe, mainly American Spirit. Most all cigarettes and rolling paper (i.e. Tops) today have incendiary rings that keep them burning, pretty much no matter what. Back in the day, rolling paper was just thin paper. Like Am. Spirit plain paper. Plain paper will go out after a while, but I'm just a quick puffer, so it usually doesn't bother me.

ullmandds
11-16-2015, 12:08 PM
It means that the cigarettes won't be blown out by the wind. Rolling tobacco is meant to stay lit, because while you're smoking outside it gets windy. If your cigarette is constantly going out, you're going to be annoyed, especially if you're using matches to smoke. "Never Go Out" implies you only need one match.

agreed...gotta be this! otherwise a description of my life...as I "never go out" anymore!!!!!

CW
11-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Also voting for #1.

Another question would be... what do they mean by "not in a trust"?

ullmandds
11-16-2015, 01:17 PM
Also voting for #1.

Another question would be... what do they mean by "not in a trust"?

i would presume "not in a trust" means kotton was an independent tobacco manufacturer...not affiliated with a conglomerate as the t206 brands were. promotion of the little guy maybe?

packs
11-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Yeah I agree. If you were part of trust that meant you had dominated the industry and your product would probably be inferior due to limited competition and no need to be quality.

Eric72
11-16-2015, 03:12 PM
A lit cigarette, when unattended, used to burn all the way down to the filter. While this is no longer the case, due to one of the (insert ridiculous number here) additives in cigarettes today, there was a time when they were little more than tobacco and wrapping paper.

As a brief aside, folding a lit cigarette into a match book was once used during wartime as a time delay ignition switch. The movie Stalag 17 offers a visual example of this. So does the TV show NCIS, which is of a much more recent vintage.

Regarding the original question, I believe that the tobacco card ad probably refers to their cigarette having a consistent burn, without it inconveniently "going out."

Re-lit tobacco has a distinctively different flavor, in which the ignition of carbon makes the experience much harsher.

Hope this helps a little.

Best regards,

Eric

CW
11-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks, Pete (and packs with the follow up), for the info on "not in a trust"!

brass_rat
11-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Wow, excellent presentation of the question, Bryan, and thanks to all that provided informative answers!

Looks like my guess was way off, but I've learned something, thanks!

I'm disappointed that Stalag 17 isn't on Netflix. Bummer.

Cheers,
Steve

Eric72
11-18-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm disappointed that Stalag 17 isn't on Netflix. Bummer.

Cheers,
Steve

It is on YouTube, if you really want to check it out. Great movie, in my opinion.

Best regards,

Eric

Jobu
11-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Follow up question: Does anyone here have a Kotton pack or any advertising that they wouldn't mind showing?

edjs
11-18-2015, 09:54 PM

Follow up question: Does anyone here have a Kotton pack or any advertising that they wouldn't mind showing?

Leon had one, you can still find the images on the Heritage site. MINO pack, too. I wanted those so bad! I am glad that Jon C. got them, though, he really should have them.

Leon
11-23-2015, 06:16 AM
The Kotton is probably period and the Mino a few years later but probably similar. I too am happy Jon (hi Jon) got them. They needed to be in his collection.

http://luckeycards.com/ppackminokotton2x.jpg

frankbmd
11-23-2015, 07:44 AM
Stay in the Closet

canjond
11-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Ed/Leon - Thanks for the kind words. I was happy to add these to the collection.

There are also some scans of later packs (Kotton/Mino/Virginia Extra) on my site, although I don't have scans handy to post right now. I believe the proper page is:

www.baseballandtobacco.com/t216.htm

As you will note, the graphics did not change much between the tobacco pouches pictured above (1910s), and the cigarette boxes on my site (1920s).

brianp-beme
11-23-2015, 05:40 PM
Stay in the Closet

My interpretation is less homophobic, and more awayophobic, as in someone who has a fear of going outside...Never Go Out. Of course there is an official term for this, but I like making words up.

Brian